Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).

Laptop Recommendations

My laptop recently died so I am in the market for a new one (thankfully, VISA doubles the manufacturer's warranty so I will get the full purchase price back from them and not lose any money in the process).

My last laptop was an Acer. They aren't great but, as a grad student, I went for a cheap one. This time I want to get a better model (they have also come down in price a bit so I can get more for my money). I have heard some bad things about Dell so I don't think I'll buy one of theirs (unless anyone here can refute the bad rep they've got). I am thinking of buying an LG, a Toshiba, or an IBM Levono Thinkpad.

Does anyone here have any experience with any of these? Or can anyone recommend any other decent laptops?

I mainly use my laptop as a portable word processor (I have a desktop for all other computer needs) but I do tend to use my laptop for research so that I can either take notes or download images of documents from my digital camera to free up the memory card. Beacuse I have to travel for research I would prefer one that is fairly light but, then again, I carried my Acer on the Tube in London every day so the weight isn't that big a deal to me if the rest of the package is good.

Any, and all, recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    My laptop recently died so I am in the market for a new one (thankfully, VISA doubles the manufacturer's warranty so I will get the full purchase price back from them and not lose any money in the process).

My last laptop was an Acer. They aren't great but, as a grad student, I went for a cheap one. This time I want to get a better model (they have also come down in price a bit so I can get more for my money). I have heard some bad things about Dell so I don't think I'll buy one of theirs (unless anyone here can refute the bad rep they've got). I am thinking of buying an LG, a Toshiba, or an IBM Levono Thinkpad.

Does anyone here have any experience with any of these? Or can anyone recommend any other decent laptops?

I mainly use my laptop as a portable word processor (I have a desktop for all other computer needs) but I do tend to use my laptop for research so that I can either take notes or download images of documents from my digital camera to free up the memory card. Beacuse I have to travel for research I would prefer one that is fairly light but, then again, I carried my Acer on the Tube in London every day so the weight isn't that big a deal to me if the rest of the package is good.

My vote goes to a ThinkPad -- had one as a school laptop from 2001-2003, that was a total workhorse; just took about every abuse a student could throw at it, and never had a problem with it. Only reason I stopped using it was I moved to a Tablet (Toshiba -- it was fine, but not overwhelming.)

I just received my new Lenovo Thinkpad T61 tablet for work yesterday, and it's just lovely. Especially considering it weighs only 3.5 lbs, and the battery on first charge lasted 4+ hours with heavy usage.

Dell has the best bang for the buck, and I haven't had any major problems with my Dells. Have you looked into the EEEPC? The keyboard is kinda small so might be a pain but for $400 you get an ultra-portable laptop with everything (I'm guessing) you will need.

Colchar hates Apple, so I won't even bother

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    My last 3 have been HP and I have been pleased with the box and the performance.

Good call as it wouldn't be worth the effort. My brother keeps trying to convert me but I absolutely refuse to join the cult. The only reason I even have an iPod is because I won it so it was free.

don't mean to hijack the thread but just so billybreen doesn't feel left out

http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/crazyiphone/1000563406

I manage all the PCs at the office I work in. We have about 15 people now, mostly with Dell laptops. We've probably gone through three generations (at three years apiece) of laptops while I've been here. So I've had at least 30 or more laptops go through our office. In general, they've been great. We've had a couple issues that have cropped up. A couple times I've seen hard drives fail. I've also had a couple keyboards crap out and once a screen had to be replaced. All of those things are easily fixable. I've never had a processor or motherboard issue.

I have no hesitation recommending Dell. I would recommend regularly backing up your data (which is wise in all situations) by buying an external USB hard drive, just in case a HD issue crops up. I also recommend with laptops to always purchase the extended warranty.

I also will put in a plug for Macs. My next laptop will be a Mac. My wife has an iBook and with the exception of the fact that the mobo died on it 4 times, it's been great. But the good news is that with the 3-year Apple Care warranty, we were able to get the complete machine replaced with a brand new one (a big upgrade) for free the last time the mobo died.

I've got a Gateway that I bought when they closed their retail stores a few years ago. Never had a problem beyond busting the screen by sticking it in an overstuffed briefcase. My parents have the same one that gets heavier use by them - no problems.

Good call as it wouldn't be worth the effort. My brother keeps trying to convert me but I absolutely refuse to join the cult. The only reason I even have an iPod is because I won it so it was free.
    Cult is a very strong word, you individualist, you

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    don't mean to hijack the thread but just so billybreen doesn't feel left out

http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/crazyiphone/1000563406
    That's the coolest thing I've ever seen. I hate myself for not doing that first.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Dell has the best bang for the buck, and I haven't had any major problems with my Dells. Have you looked into the EEEPC? The keyboard is kinda small so might be a pain but for $400 you get an ultra-portable laptop with everything (I'm guessing) you will need.
    I need as big a keyboard as I can get (which is one of the things drawing me to the Thinkpads as they have normal sized keyboards) because I simply cannot type on a laptop keyboard. I've even tried to practice but just can't do it very well.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I manage all the PCs at the office I work in. We have about 15 people now, mostly with Dell laptops. We've probably gone through three generations (at three years apiece) of laptops while I've been here. So I've had at least 30 or more laptops go through our office. In general, they've been great. We've had a couple issues that have cropped up. A couple times I've seen hard drives fail. I've also had a couple keyboards crap out and once a screen had to be replaced. All of those things are easily fixable. I've never had a processor or motherboard issue.

I have no hesitation recommending Dell. I would recommend regularly backing up your data (which is wise in all situations) by buying an external USB hard drive, just in case a HD issue crops up. I also recommend with laptops to always purchase the extended warranty.
    Most of the issues you described would be common to any brand...sometimes you just get a bad screen or HD. Thanks for the input...it looks like I'm down to Dell, Toshiba (great reviews from Consumer Reports - as had Dell), and Thinkpads (although they really really don't look very stylish when compared to the other options).

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    My vote goes to a ThinkPad -- had one as a school laptop from 2001-2003, that was a total workhorse; just took about every abuse a student could throw at it, and never had a problem with it. Only reason I stopped using it was I moved to a Tablet (Toshiba -- it was fine, but not overwhelming.)
    Thanks, the Thinkpads are in my top three right now (along with Dell and Toshiba). I just wish the Thinkpads looked a little more stylish...

There are really only two options.
    1) Lenovo (the old IBM think pad I have is awesome... 3.5 years old and still going strong)
    2) Mac

Thanks, the Thinkpads are in my top three right now (along with Dell and Toshiba). I just wish the Thinkpads looked a little more stylish...

And yet you won't join the mac cult. If you're worried about looks, I recommend that you ditch the whole laptop thing and especially the posting on bulletin boards thing.

A bit more about the Mac.
    I have been a die-hard PC user for my personal machines for years. Would've never considered a Mac before OSX came out... and still went with a PC the last time I bought a computer.
    The next time I buy a laptop (maybe sometime in the next few months), it will be a Mac. I can't recommend them highly enough. There is a reason that everyone that owns one is happy with it.

Most of the issues you described would be common to any brand...sometimes you just get a bad screen or HD. Thanks for the input...it looks like I'm down to Dell, Toshiba (great reviews from Consumer Reports - as had Dell), and Thinkpads (although they really really don't look very stylish when compared to the other options).
    Agreed. I don't think any of the issues I've seen are an indictment of Dell, in fact I think the small number of issues I've seen work in Dell's favor.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Agreed. I don't think any of the issues I've seen are an indictment of Dell, in fact I think the small number of issues I've seen work in Dell's favor.
    If you are going to get a Dell, get their business class (I think that means Latitude)... almost everyone I know that has bought one of their home laptops has hated it.

Really though, as I said before, there are two laptops that stand out above the rest from every owner I've ever met.

I'm in the minority...

I am typing this message from a Toshiba Satellite. I haven't had any problems with it, and I've had it for a couple of years. (knock on wood)