Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    VT just keeps making themselves look bad, imo.
    The students, the players, the fans, THE COACHES, even the coaches for christ's sake.

Lost a lot of respect for that program after the last 30 or so hours.

It's actually not even worth discussing V Tech anymore. They embarassed their school last night. They'll do it again soon. Their athletes are only slightly more developmentally disabled than the rest of their redneck student body. It's basically a four year community college for those interested in the landscaping and custodial arts. And as far as basketball goes, they're entirely irrelevant.

For any V-Tech fans perusing this thread:
    Your team's best-case scenario is remaining on the NIT bubble. Lose with some dignity. And please stop trying to spell words like "hypocrasy" (sic). You can hate Duke all you want, but leave the English language alone. Unlike Duke, it can't defend itself by blowing you out at home.

I loved all the banners that they have hanging from the rafters. They not only have a banner for making, that right, JUST MAKING the tournament last year, but also for NIT second round apperances as well. I was giving my VT buddy some good ribbing about that.

It take a "special" kind of student to go to Tech.

To think the nation was in your court. So what do you do? Pick poster "boys" allen and washington to represent them on natioal tv. Great PR. Way to go Sether.

Show some class

Watching a game where Vtech admittedly showed a lack of class, and then taking a look at a fan message board which (as a rule) is not the place to find the great intellectual minds of a University is not a great grounds for mass insulting Vtech as a university. And even if it was, the insult is still not necessary or productive. Something along the lines of "if you don't have something nice to say..." comes to mind

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    A plethora of really, really astute comments
    Well said, cto. A lot of points I hadn't thought of yet, put in better terms than I ever could have.

Quote Originally Posted by kdevilsk212 View Post
    It's actually not even worth discussing V Tech anymore. They embarassed their school last night. They'll do it again soon. Their athletes are only slightly more developmentally disabled than the rest of their redneck student body. It's basically a four year community college for those interested in the landscaping and custodial arts. And as far as basketball goes, they're entirely irrelevant.

Your team's best-case scenario is remaining on the NIT bubble. Lose with some dignity. And please stop trying to spell words like "hypocrasy" (sic). You can hate Duke all you want, but leave the English language alone. Unlike Duke, it can't defend itself by blowing you out at home.
    And, might I say, you're doing an equally masterful job representing your institution of higher learning.

ok, so I'm not going to read too much into this, but I found it interesting. yesterday (and earlier today) the espn video recap of the game online was the same as sportscenter: they basically showed one "normal" play and then focused entirely on deron washington, showing about every play where he bumped, flailed, or was otherwise trying to stir up trouble. as of now, that same video link leads to a recap of the game that doesn't even mention deron once.

I can't even say that I care, but I just find it curious. Did ESPN do this in their own self-interest for some reason (slandering Washington? fear of hurting their own ratings in some way)? Because they didn't want to reward (or to be seen as rewarding) such behavior with excessive air time? Because no one cares??? Like I said, I don't know that I care one bit, but just found it odd.

btw, I know it's the same link because I bookmarked the page wanting to show the recap to a friend later. obviously, that didn't work.

Red face I've heard this somewhere else ... here in Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by I_am_a_Blue_Devil View Post
    This one makes me litterally laugh out loud

"Subject: We just have to realize
    Posted by: bubbavt1 on Fri Jan 25 2008 11:03:10 AM

That our high academic standards keeps us from recruiting the getting
    star athletes that Duke gets. "
    This is a common lament here in Atlanta as well, at least with GaTech fans. I don't agree with them, but I believe I can explain the logic here. They tend to repeat themselves in saying that in terms of the number of majors offered, GaTech is SO geared towards science/engineering/architecture, they simply cannot get many student athletes. If you're a student at GT, you can't avoid the tough courses in those departments. The thought is that most top athletes can't perform academically in such a system. On the other hand, Duke has more liberal arts&sciences offerings, and fewer engineering-like majors. So Duke can always get a student athlete who doesn't want to take the same tough engineering-like courses.

Please correct me Jason and others if I deviate from the logic I hear in Atlanta.

I don't know that VaTech fans are using the same logic, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 01-26-2008 at 07:44 AM. Reason: spelling

vt low-lights

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    ok, so I'm not going to read too much into this, but I found it interesting. yesterday (and earlier today) the espn video recap of the game online was the same as sportscenter: they basically showed one "normal" play and then focused entirely on deron washington, showing about every play where he bumped, flailed, or was otherwise trying to stir up trouble. as of now, that same video link leads to a recap of the game that doesn't even mention deron once.

I can't even say that I care, but I just find it curious. Did ESPN do this in their own self-interest for some reason (slandering Washington? fear of hurting their own ratings in some way)? Because they didn't want to reward (or to be seen as rewarding) such behavior with excessive air time? Because no one cares??? Like I said, I don't know that I care one bit, but just found it odd.

btw, I know it's the same link because I bookmarked the page wanting to show the recap to a friend later. obviously, that didn't work.
    check out the front page and their youtube link to washington's low-lights from the game-and their comments of his antics.

Quote Originally Posted by kdevilsk212 View Post

If it "isn't worth discussing VTech anymore," then why all the venom and vitriol? And if you're going to throw grammatical stones in glass houses, please make sure to use spell check yourself (embarrassed has two r's)...

Virginia Tech is a wonderful academic institution, for cryin' out loud... Next play...

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

VT

Couple things. First VT is trying to build a basketball program. They have a ways to go. They are a work in progress but have had some success against the big boys, Duke and UNC. That is a good thing for all parties involved. Second the VT fanbase will always remember Duke and UNC as the schools that were against their inclusion into the ACC. VT is a good school with a beautiful campus. They have laot of pride about their University. I can see a time when their basketball program is better than their football program.

I remember when they first came into the conference and everyone said that they were bringing a second rate football team and next to nothing in the other sports. The prevalent thinking on the message boards were that Duke and UNC would beat the Hokies in football before the Hokies would beat them in basketball. That has not happened and that is a tribute to VT.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Teabag chant

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    I thought I heard "Keep in Paulus". Well, they got what they wished for and he played pretty darn well.
    The chant was "Teabag Paulus" and it was in repsonse to this picture from the game last year where almost all of Deron jumped over Paulus.

http://subscr.techsideline.com/news_...ticle-3436.php

Forumers discussing chant.

I'm not sure what the justification for disparaging an entire university based on the comments of a few fans on a message board is. God forbid anyone judge Duke based on a handful of posts here on a bad day (or worse, any number of the less well-monitored Duke fan sites).

Almost as bad as The Devils Den.

Am I missing something?

Seriously. Back off Va Tech, people. I, for one, do think DBR was a little over the top. I'm not sure why Coleman Collins was included in that list - his dad died during the season like 2 yrs ago, for christ's sake. Anyone care to enlighten me? As for Allen - way too soon to string him up for that one incident.

Now Washington - yes, he plays dirty and chippy. Lots of unnecessary shoulder bumps and such. BUT - I do think he;s gotten a bum rap on some of the big things. Like the kick to Melcho - I still think was pretty accidental. Similarly with the intentional foul on Singler the other night. The little undercut on D-Marc was more ambiguous. He might've been trying to get out of his way, though.

Regardless, I would ease up on them a bit. They did play a little dirty, but it wasn't so bad that all of this bashing is necessary, IMO. And I don't want to say that the shooting gives them carte blanche to be a-holes, but their school HAS been through a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    Seriously. Back off Va Tech, people. I, for one, do think DBR was a little over the top. I'm not sure why Coleman Collins was included in that list - his dad died during the season like 2 yrs ago, for christ's sake. Anyone care to enlighten me? As for Allen - way too soon to string him up for that one incident.

Now Washington - yes, he plays dirty and chippy. Lots of unnecessary shoulder bumps and such. BUT - I do think he;s gotten a bum rap on some of the big things. Like the kick to Melcho - I still think was pretty accidental. Similarly with the intentional foul on Singler the other night. The little undercut on D-Marc was more ambiguous. He might've been trying to get out of his way, though.

Regardless, I would ease up on them a bit. They did play a little dirty, but it wasn't so bad that all of this bashing is necessary, IMO. And I don't want to say that the shooting gives them carte blanche to be a-holes, but their school HAS been through a lot.
    Yeah. What he said. I think they should be Nifonged.

Seriously, Washington was the problem that night and he deserved more than what he got. He probably should be minding his manners tonight in Boston. I believe there's a few there that won't put up with such foolishness. I hope the exposure taught him to behave.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by hondoheel View Post
    Almost as bad as The Devils Den.
    But never as bad as Inside Carolina,