Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Duke MBB vs Virginia Tech Post-Game Thread

Place your post game comments here.
    Bob Green

VaTech game ...I love our toughness ...

I am not sure if we are the 4th best team in the country or the best team in the ACC, but I sure do love our toughness. Wow.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

Two words about VT

Goon squad

Rough Game

It was a very physical game with VT players, especially Washington, playing aggressive and chippy ball. It was also a game where the refs seemed to be having trouble making up their minds what a foul was. I was kind of amazed toward the end, to look up and see Duke leading by 21. How did that happen?

As much as I can tell, Duke played good defense for the most part and hung tough as the game got rough. Duke also shot pretty well but I think what the secret of their success tonight was the balance they showed in scoring and handling the ball. Both Paulus and Smith had good nights at the point. Singlar gets my vote for man of the match as he really carried the team for a stretch. But there was also balance with Henderson and Nelson keeping the pressure on and King had one of his best games overall. We kept up the pressure no matter who was on the floor.

Great game for the kids and it was good to see futher development in Thomas. He is definitely making strides and on the way back to being a solid player. It wasn't Scheyer's night, but the fact that he had 4 fouls tells you something about the physical game. Jon never has that many fouls.

Another great game for Duke along the way to a terrific season.

Anyone seen Taylor King???

He went missing on the way to VT, but somehow was STILL hitting 3s from literally, downtown...that kids range is amazazazazing...

actually we are the 3rd best, and THE best in the ACC...

THE POLLS NEVER LIE...(totally sarcasm)

Game thoughts

Strange game. No one really played great- but a lot of contributions from different players throughout the game and Duke wins easily. This balance is the hallmark of the team and every player seems to have a different moment when they step up. Paulus played well early- then King- then Nelson- then Singler and so on. The biggest complaint of the game was Duke poor free throw shooting- mostly by Henderson. He needs to be able to knock those down as he will be driving and getting fouled a lot. in tight games. Va tech stayed in the game in the first half mostly due to poor free throw shooting by Duke. I continue to like the growth of Smith.He is going to be very good. He sees the floor very well and can create his own shot. Lance had one of his better games- active- hit some shots- made some throws- got some boards. If he gives Duke this kind of game consistently- they will be tough to beat. Of course- Tech did not have their beef in the middle - but a good game is a good game. Scheyer was very quiet but hit some nice shots at the end when Duke was milking the clock . The slowdown worked tonight. Ugly game but an excellent second half by Duke. They really game out of the halftime playing very well. Winning this big on the road is not easy- particularly against a team that plays hard on D like Tech. All and all a good night by Duke.

I am guessing that the MOTM is Singler, but it really ought to be the team. Not our kind of game, but the guys reacted with style. I was very, very proud of Duke tongiht. Sorry that I went to Virginia Tech.

king's two 25+ footers had me laughing out loud. i really just don't know how else to respond to that kind of awesomeness.

Lance Thomas

Lance is making strides out there. Anyone agrees?

A messy game that I don't know how to comment on. But we were tough, and we kept our poise in such hostile environment. Our guys showed great great maturity compared to last year.

Spring Lake, NC (acutally Harnett County)

The mark of a great team ...

is to adjust to the situation and adapt to it. The team never seemed to get rattled (Nelson's "T" aside) and kept with the flow. The officiating (and I don't know how you officiate a game like this anyway) was simply sort of "random." It's a foul - it's not. Let 'em play - tighten it up. Anyway, it disrupted everyone's pacing, but we adapted better and faster. Deron's antic's (which could have injured someone or started a genuine fight) were the only real poor mark.

Good team play by, well, everyone. We don't have the size of the last two National Champions (Florida), but we seem to be getting the team play and unselfishness that characterized them. In addition, the team seems comfortable (me, too, as a fan) with the fact that when the depth factor kicks in during the second half, we will pull away. You have to have nerve and confidence for that.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    I am not sure if we are the 4th best team in the country or the best team in the ACC, but I sure do love our toughness. Wow.
    Amen! Coach K was right to question our toughness after the Pitt loss, but it looks like the team has made leaps and bounds in that area. And we hadn't done so well in games away from home before, but we made a statement here tonight.

lance was good... he finished in the first half which has got to be good for his confidence. i wouldn't say he was invisible in the second half, but he didn't contribute as much as he did in the first half... at least I thought (but what do i know)
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Tools. Can't say much about some of the VT players either.

I skimmed the posts and haven't seen this discussed yet - why was DeMarcus T'd up? Was it something he said, or because he stepped towards Washington?

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    king's two 25+ footers had me laughing out loud. i really just don't know how else to respond to that kind of awesomeness.
    I hear ya. When he shot that one, the clock was like 18 seconds or so. I was like, "WTF!" And then, my jaw just dropped to floor. I can remember how many times I have been surprised with King's range. SICK range!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    I skimmed the posts and haven't seen this discussed yet - why was DeMarcus T'd up? Was it something he said, or because he stepped towards Washington?
    after he got fouled by washington, he started jawing and must have said something along the lines of a bull durham no-no because hess t-ed him up pretty quick.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    after he got fouled by washington, he started jawing and must have said something along the lines of a bull durham no-no because hess t-ed him up pretty quick.
    The Captain's momma always told him to tell the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    I think he said something. Dmark had been on the verge of losing control for most of the second half. I don't blame him.

Loved the depth, loved the balance. I agree that no one was outstanding all game; it was more a guy here, a guy there.

Why all the chippiness? Why the loud booing every time Paulus touched the ball?

Henderson's FT shooting sucks.