Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bhd28 View Post
    The guy is a whiny little twit, isn't he?
    I guess it is a way to get noticed, as they didn't stop talking about him all night.

About the officiating: That is a group of officials I absolutely HATE! Started back in about 2003. The fat one... he made about 80% of the calls against Duke. Most were legit, some not, but it just irked me that somehow HE was the one who apparently saw everything Duke did wrong, even when not in position to make the call. I even saw one of the other refs looking askance at him a couple of times. Ugh... very few people I wouldn't stop to help change a tire. Him, I would just stop and laugh at him... especially if it was raining.
    Lets call fouls where if you are beyond the paint and make contact its a foul, but if you try and clothes-line a guy when you are down by 20, call a technical on the dunker...yeah, good strategy idiotic zebras...geesh

Deeee-ron will be quite a hit at the Portsmouth Invitational.

Honestly, I think it helped Duke tonight. If Washington had spent less energy on gamesmanship and more on the game, the Hokies might have put up more of a fight.

I don’t what game Washington thought he was playing, but it sure wasn’t basketball. The refs almost let the game get out of hand. They should have T’d him up a second time long before he finally fouled out. Not only was he flopping on every play but he was deliberately trying to provoke the Duke players with his cheap shots and antics. I also blame the coach. He should have taken Washington out of the game and read him the riot act. Of course that is assuming he didn’t condone his actions. There was no excuse for Greenberg allowing Washington to continue his shenanigans.

Ryan Reid at FSU isnt much metter but Washington is the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by bhd28 View Post
    The fat one... he made about 80% of the calls against Duke....somehow HE was the one who apparently saw everything Duke did wrong, even when not in position to make the call. I even saw one of the other refs looking askance at him a couple of times. Ugh... very few people I wouldn't stop to help change a tire. Him, I would just stop and laugh at him... especially if it was raining.

Seriously, you aren't referring to our old pal Karl "I'm A Tool" Hesse, are ye?

Hopefully, somebody, not a Duke player, will take Washington out. Maybe FSU, they are about on a par with him. It is sad, because he definitely has some talent. It is also sad because his coach allows him to get away with it. He will end up playing in Europe, I don't think he would survive in the NBA.

The kid has plenty of talent and could be a top-echelon player but he plays like a fool. He is dirty and deliberately so.

The refs were an abomination. They should have called a timeout early in the game and got the coaches together and straighten that mess out. Allowing those kids, on both teams, to have to go through that was criminal. Those refs should be reprimanded. The game may have really gotten ugly had not K slowed down the game with 10 minutes to go. I don't think tempers could have been held in check much longer. Even Scheyer was getting pissed!

Good game by the Dukies though. Singler broke open the game early in the 2nd half when he scored 8-10 points in a 2-3 minute span. And our guards, Paulus and Smith, did a great job in protecting the ball tonight.

I don't wish injury on a player, but sometimes it's hard not to on Washington. He's always been one to do whatever it takes to take out the opposing player and he's shocked when he's called on it. If Deron gets caught sometime by an opposing player who doesn't have much to play for, everyone else on the court better duck. It's one of the few times I wish Elton Brown was back at UVa.

he was the WORST

The undercut on Marky after the foul call should have been reviewed and he should have been ejected - no place for that.
    Unfortunately, appears on par with the jerk from Wake that now makes a living in the NBA in Charlotte. Sheesh

I didn't dvr the game, but for those that have I wish you'd look at the play I mentioned. I'd love to hear some other thoughts on that particular situation, because it got only one quick replay. But I swear it could have done serious damage to DeMarcus - and it was done deliberately! Of all the chippy and dirty things Washington engaged in during the night, that one was the worst in my book. You can't undercut guys when they are in the air and helpless.

Gary

VT getting a rep

Towards the end, the refs were just rolling their eyes at Washington, even on some plays where he may have legitimately been fould. After tonight, he better get used to it.

I mean, how dumb can a team be? The game after a teammate gets ejected for making contact with a ref, and Washington and VT were trying that junk? They probably got on the wrong side of the refs for the season tonight. At least, I sure hope so.

Patrick Yates

But the rest of what he said was....

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    "Deron Washington is a terrific young man." -- Len Elmore
    Each time Len made that positive statement, he was leading into pointing out that Washington needs to develop some self control and quit wasting his time in the game with such inappropriate behavior. Throughout the game Len repeatedly pointed out the problems with Washington's play.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCat View Post
    Any my vote to the list. That dude is just filthy.
    and his "John Holmes" facial hair is sickening

This ultimately comes from the thug coach at VPI - I will never understand why they are in the ACC as they bring nothing to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I didn't dvr the game, but for those that have I wish you'd look at the play I mentioned. I'd love to hear some other thoughts on that particular situation, because it got only one quick replay. But I swear it could have done serious damage to DeMarcus - and it was done deliberately! Of all the chippy and dirty things Washington engaged in during the night, that one was the worst in my book. You can't undercut guys when they are in the air and helpless.

Gary
    When I watched it at full speed, I agreed with you. On the replay, I thought that Washington was trying to duck out of Demarcus's way, and his rear unfortunately got in the way. As a HS player whose job it was to foul, hardish, I have stuck my butt out a few times, and I don't think that is what happened. He could have done a better job getting out of the way, but I don't think it was intentional.

Patrick Yates

I think Greenberg may be part of the Problem

It seems to me that ever since V-Tech has joined the ACC that a major part of Greenberg's tactics against better teams, particularly Duke (which may be deemed a bit "soft"), is to let his guys play as rough as the refs let them. I think he probably condones, if not instructs, Washington's style of play.

Tonight, Duke mostly kept its composure and the best team won easily. However, the refs were very inconsistent and almost lost control of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    When I watched it at full speed, I agreed with you. On the replay, I thought that Washington was trying to duck out of Demarcus's way, and his rear unfortunately got in the way. As a HS player whose job it was to foul, hardish, I have stuck my butt out a few times, and I don't think that is what happened. He could have done a better job getting out of the way, but I don't think it was intentional.
    Hmmm. I'd love to see the play again because to me on the replay it looked like he intentionally stuck his butt into DeMarcus when he could have easily avoided him. Again, I'd love to see the play again, because that one troubles me more than any of the others (and there were plenty to be troubled about).

Gary

Personally, I am unfamiliar with John Holmes's facial hair.

Agree about DW tonight. It surprised me, because he wasn't like that in in the 3 or 4 summer league games I saw at all. He was very much a regular guy, albeit super-talented. But tonight, he seemed to be trying to stir something up, often in a really petty, immature way.

Quote Originally Posted by dbb03 View Post
    listening to len elmore tonight, i was literally embarrased for him.
    btw, duke was called for more fouls and vt shot more free throws.
    but OH MY GOD, duke gets all the calls.