Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Famous/Celebrity Dads

I was wondering this morning about our former Duke athletes that have had famous/celebrity fathers. And really, I was surprised at the one's that I could name off the top of my head. Obviously, there must be many more, but the one's I thought of first were;

Nolan Smith - Derek Smith

Gerald Henderson - Gerald Henderson Sr.

Mistie Bass/Williams - Chubby Checker

Kyle Shanahan - Mike Shanahan

Chris Collins - Doug Collins

Mike Dunleavy - Mike Dunleavy Sr.

O.K who else?

grant hill - calvin hill

jeff staubach - roger staubach (baseball)
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Jay Wilkinson/Bud Wilkinson - Football

steve spurrier jr. - steve spurrier sr. (football)
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

famous dads

Shane Battier=EVERYBODY'S daddy

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Shane Battier=EVERYBODY'S daddy
    ZZZZZZINNNGGG!!!!!!

Connie Mack, Jr.

The elder Bob Hurley was rather well known in basketball circles

I thought about that one

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post

jeff staubach - roger staubach (baseball)

I met Roger at Circuit City years ago at a local Circuit City. He said he was there to get a stereo installed in his sons car, and that he was a student at Duke. Doing a quick check today though, I could not find him. I must admit that I was looking in the sport though

golf and a presidential candidate

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...&ATCLID=250295

dan quayle's son played on the lacrosse team too i think
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Joe Pagliuca - Stephen Pagliuca (co-owner of Celtics)

Isn't Rudy Guiliani's son on the golf team at Duke?

Chubby Checker - Mistie Bass

I saw Chubby Checker at the women's ACC tournament in Greensboro a few years ago. He was simply elegant. After the game I was in the concourse. When he walked down the hallway he simply commanded the place. He had no entourage, but the crowd parted like Moses parting the Red Sea as he walked through.

He was also incredibly friendly. I must have seen him stop and pose for pictures with folks (most of them 65+ year old women) 20 times. Each time he seemed to be enjoying it as though it was his first concert in 1960.

His niceness passed on to his daughter. When I would see her around town and say something to the effect of "nice game last night", she would always stop, thank me with sincerety and a huge smile. she acted like I had just made her queen of the world simply by commenting on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    His niceness passed on to his daughter. When I would see her around town and say something to the effect of "nice game last night", she would always stop, thank me with sincerety and a huge smile. she acted like I had just made her queen of the world simply by commenting on the game.
    I'll second the quality of Mistie as a person. A couple years ago, I went to CIS with my dad and brother with the hopes of getting into a men's game. We arrived a few hours early and we were standing outside taking pictures when the women's team started coming out of the building. We didn't seek any of them out, but Mistie came over and talked to us and told us to enjoy ourselves and was extremely polite. It was an extremely nice gesture because it was completely initiated by her and she went out of her way to make us feel welcome. A class act.

The walk-on from a few years ago whose old man played at Duke and uncle at Vil. and then the pros.

Rometra and Roger Craig

The father and son LAX guys from last year's near championship team.

Tom Brokaw's daughter attended Duke (although I can't remember her name). Didn't the camera catch him on TV with the Crazies at a game in the early 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by lazee View Post
    Tom Brokaw's daughter attended Duke (although I can't remember her name). Didn't the camera catch him on TV with the Crazies at a game in the early 90s?
    Don't know about Brokaw. Ted Koppel's daughter was a Dukie and I do remember seeing him at least once at a game...sat a row or two behind where the Keohanes (now the Brodheads) sat.

Quote Originally Posted by lazee View Post
    Was she an athlete (which is the topic here)? Anyway, I believe he had *three* daughters who attended Duke. Ted Koppel's daughter is an alumna as well.