Jeremis Smith's Grant Hill Impression

I don't know if any of you saw the dunk Jeremis Smith had in the NC State/GT game last night, (and really, who was watching that one anyway?

It was absoultely ridiculous.

I linked the story from ESPN.com but instead of showing, you know, highlights, we got 4 minutes of talking to Hewitt, Causey, and the Len Elmore 3

here's a link to actually see the dunk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtNOjwJlI0k

Blasphemy!

Quote Originally Posted by thebur View Post
    I don't know if any of you saw the dunk Jeremis Smith had in the NC State/GT game last night, (and really, who was watching that one anyway?

It was absoultely ridiculous.

I linked the story from ESPN.com but instead of showing, you know, highlights, we got 4 minutes of talking to Hewitt, Causey, and the Len Elmore 3
    No one's dunks are as great as Grant's!

Quote Originally Posted by thebur View Post
    I couldn't help but laugh watching Bucky Waters trying to get a word in edgewise between Len Elmore and Mike Patrick in the post-game segment that you linked. Bucky seemed pretty entertained by it as well, unless his expressions were resulting from someone telling him jokes on his headset.

Question Am I confused?

I thought a dunk was worth only two points. Did GT get style points?

sagegrouse

not confused, just missing the beauty of unbridled athleticism from a college student...

I'm assuming this is a comparison to the oop from the Kansas game in 91? If so, not even close. Damn fine jam though.

Grant's dunks were more graceful and stylish.

But for sheer power, Smith's dunk last night was pretty jaw-dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Still only worth 2 points.

One Shining Moment.

Wow, nothing like watching the 1991, 1992 and 2001 One Shining Moments to pick up an otherwise cold, grey day in the Big Apple. Except now I have chills and I was trying to warm up from being outside to get lunch. Worth it though.

I think I am going to put a recurring calendar item on my outlook to spend 8 minutes watching those once a week.

I hope we can add a fourth one soon ...
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley2Hill View Post
    I'm assuming this is a comparison to the oop from the Kansas game in 91? If so, not even close. Damn fine jam though.
    I assumed the same. Funny you should point that out given your handle...i like it...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Wow, nothing like watching the 1991, 1992 and 2001 One Shining Moments to pick up an otherwise cold, grey day in the Big Apple. Except now I have chills and I was trying to warm up from being outside to get lunch. Worth it though.

I think I am going to put a recurring calendar item on my outlook to spend 8 minutes watching those once a week.

I hope we can add a fourth one soon ...
    word. to. that.

You ain't kiddin' about the OSM vids...for some reason I always seem to get a little bit of dust in my eyes when watching those.

Definitely the dunk of the year so far.

The camera angle from under the basket does it true justice.

"Still only worth 2 points."

Sure. If one assumes that emotion plays no part in basketball.

If one assumes that one team doesn't get a mental boost and one team doesn't take a mental hit.

If one assumes that intimidation isn't a factor.

Some plays are daggers. Some plays send messages.

Grant's dunk against Kansas in the title game was indeed ridiculous. However, I seem to remember another one the next year that was even more jaw dropping. I have been trying to find a clip of this one for a while now. I think it was against Georgia Tech in Atlanta-maybe off a lob from Brian Davis. (I don't think it was Hurley.)

Anyone remember this one? It was similiar to the '91 dunk, but he had to sky even higher(!!!) for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post

Grant's dunk against Kansas in the title game was indeed ridiculous. However, I seem to remember another one the next year that was even more jaw dropping. I have been trying to find a clip of this one for a while now. I think it was against Georgia Tech in Atlanta-maybe off a lob from Brian Davis. (I don't think it was Hurley.)

Anyone remember this one? It was similiar to the '91 dunk, but he had to sky even higher(!!!) for this one.
    I remember exactly the dunk you're talking about, and yes, it was at Georgia Tech. I'm pretty sure you're correct that Davis threw the pass. The thing I remember most is that the ball was thrown well behind Grant -- he had to reach way back behind his head, against the direction of his momentum, and he caught it with one hand and windmilled it through the hoop in one motion.

If memory serves me correctly, that game occurred in the latter part of the season -- it might've been one of the games that Hurley missed with a broken foot. At that point in the season, we weren't blowing teams away by 20 and 30 any more -- our games had gotten much tighter as the season wore on. That game against Tech was close, but I think Grant's dunk sparked a mini-run late in the game that gave us some breathing room, and from there we cruised home to win by 10 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Smith's dunk was one helluva dunk. Very impressive. No point in denigrating it for what it was.

Anyone remember the one that Gerald Henderson had in Cameron early last year? Very similar.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Wake's LD Williams did the same dunk last year.