Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Duke MBB vs Virginia Tech Pre-Game & In-Game Thread

Post your thoughts in this thread.
    Bob Green

washington vs. lance thomas

washington has been killing us, im glad he's a senior and wont be back next year.
    does anyone think lance can develop his game to that of washington? or are their games totally different.

Here's to hoping that Gerald jumps over Washington and Duke blows this one out in the first half, and holds the lead strongly in the second half.

I'd also like to see Nolan get a lot of point time today. He played very well last game running the point.

Go DUKE!

speedevil,

what game lance chooses to develop, i do believe that he must find some type of platform and build right off of it. he's not there yet in terms of figuring what game he's going to build, however, and most would agree that while he's helped the team certainly, he's not yet arrived or more appropriately, he's not even close to what he can be at Duke.

I was excited about his play versus Clemson and that's a great starting place.

let's go!

dth.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

VT

Starters
    Thorns 5-9, FR
    Delaney 6-2, FR
    Vassallo 6-6, JR
    Washington 6-7, SR
    Diakite 6-9, JR

Reserves, over 10 MPG
    Hudson 6-5, FR
    Thompson 6-6, FR
    Witcher 6-9, SO

Notes
    • VT shoots 44% FG, 69% FT, and 34% from 3.
    • Duke shoots 49% FG, 70% FT, and 39% from 3.
    • Vassallo (15.8 PPG) and Washington (12.4 PPG) average double figures for the Hokies.
    • Nelson (14.3 PPG), Henderson & Singler (13.1 PPG), and Scheyer (11.4 PPG) average double figures for Duke.
    • Allen, who is suspended for the game, was 1st or 2nd on the team in points, rebounds, steals, and blocks.
    • VT averages 67.6 PPG, 37.1 RPG, 1/1.1 A:TO, 6.8 SPG, and 5.1 BPG.
    • Duke averages 85.0 PPG, 37.8 RPG, 1.1/1 A:TO, 8.3 SPG, and 4.3 BPG.

Outlook
    If the game is close it will be because Vassallo and Delaney are hitting their 3's and Washington is keeping the crowd into the game with his ESPN play-of-the-day worthy athletiscm.

If Duke runs away with this game it will be because of TO's and a lack of
    savy that has plagued the Hokies this year. They have alot of youth on their team and I'm not sure how they will respond to the hyped atmosphere and pressure that Duke will put on them. Washington who is a senior can get carried away with trying to be the go-to-guy and has a tendancy to be careless with the ball.

In the end, Duke is too composed and too talented for the Allen-less Hokies. Keep an eye on the Hokies for next year though.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Techsideline write-up

Here are two write-ups from Techsideline about the match-up:

Thanks whereinthe. Looks like they have only a few (2) big bodies so hopefully our rebounding will be better this game. Overall, I dont think they can match our quickness 1 through 5. Our chances look good although, as previously posted, they will get up for this game.

I hope Deron Washington doesn't bring his bad attitude. He makes games against them so hard to watch (aka I get mad)!

Quote Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
    washington has been killing us, im glad he's a senior and wont be back next year.
    does anyone think lance can develop his game to that of washington? or are their games totally different.
    I don't really see great similarities between the two players. Washington's game is based on his ridiculous vertical, and he's more of a slasher. Thomas doesn't have Washington's vertical, and he's more of a post player. Not that Thomas isn't really athletic - it's just that Washington has freakish hops. When/if the light really goes off for Thomas, I see more of an Antonio Lang type of player than a Deron Washington type of player.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I don't really see great similarities between the two players. Washington's game is based on his ridiculous vertical, and he's more of a slasher. Thomas doesn't have Washington's vertical, and he's more of a post player. Not that Thomas isn't really athletic - it's just that Washington has freakish hops. When/if the light really goes off for Thomas, I see more of an Antonio Lang type of player than a Deron Washington type of player.
    copycat

I like the comparison with lang though. much closer to lang than washington.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    copycat

I like the comparison with lang though. much closer to lang than washington.
    Yeah, you beat me to the punch. Glad to see someone agreed with me though.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, you beat me to the punch. Glad to see someone agreed with me though.
    actually, i think LT is more of a mid-range player who is trying to play like a post player. it's part of the reason he's been slow to develop. i would like to see him get the ball more 10-15 feet from the hoop, where he can pop a short jumper or blow by his man.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    actually, i think LT is more of a mid-range player who is trying to play like a post player. it's part of the reason he's been slow to develop. i would like to see him get the ball more 10-15 feet from the hoop, where he can pop a short jumper or blow by his man.
    you must be talking about mcclure because eventhough i would love to see lance "blow by his man" but i dont think he has the handles to do that yet. lance might be the one player that coach k will bench if he took a short jumper. i think he should focus on defensive and offensive rebounding, and try to get some putbacks on the offensive end. anyways if lance ever becomes the player washington is, i would be very proud of him.

My math teacher/ bowling coach went to VT. Had a heated discussion today in class. Duke never plays well in Blacksburg but I think we are better than we have been in the past.

Go Duke.

we should just get a live chat room going for this board. its good having 10 commentators at a time to give me in game details when I'm in the library trying to get my life together.

from the look of the box score... looks like the pace is a bit slow so far?

The way they're calling fouls, our depth's gonna be tested tonight...

Lance is playing great, by the way and how about Nolan with the third time being the charn?

Quote Originally Posted by jzp5079 View Post
    from the look of the box score... looks like the pace is a bit slow so far?
    There is a chat, silly. go to the fron page and and look the thread titled "DBR Chat 7pm EST" there is a link there

I beleive th url is www.snrub.com

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    It remains the case that I will not be surprised if VT defends Duke well in the half court; from what you guys are saying, I also will not be surprised if they don't, or if it don't come close to mattering, if they do. (say what?)

What remains then of my original post is that I like Seth as a coach a whole lot, and don't think that he has yet been given his due from fans around the league.
    oddly enough, I actually understoodified what you meant there.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    i guess, but i mean, he can't dribble or shoot so...

thxs

"I think your mired in the past as usual. Tech doesn't have the talent this year to execute the offense and defend as in the last 2 years."

gee, how do you esplain them being down only 4 at half??

this is exactly the kind of game i was expecting...and concerned about.