Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duke MBB vs Virginia Tech Pre-Game & In-Game Thread

Post your thoughts in this thread.
    Bob Green

washington vs. lance thomas

washington has been killing us, im glad he's a senior and wont be back next year.
    does anyone think lance can develop his game to that of washington? or are their games totally different.

Here's to hoping that Gerald jumps over Washington and Duke blows this one out in the first half, and holds the lead strongly in the second half.

I'd also like to see Nolan get a lot of point time today. He played very well last game running the point.

Go DUKE!

THROTTLE UP DUKE!!

Duke has raised its own high bar; it MUST come out and space, slash, hit the free throws and value the ball, all the while playing maturely in a HOSTILE environment. This and Maryland upcoming are great tests for our warriors, and in my opinion Tech tonight is going to play with great effort despite not having Allen.

dth.

speedevil,

what game lance chooses to develop, i do believe that he must find some type of platform and build right off of it. he's not there yet in terms of figuring what game he's going to build, however, and most would agree that while he's helped the team certainly, he's not yet arrived or more appropriately, he's not even close to what he can be at Duke.

I was excited about his play versus Clemson and that's a great starting place.

let's go!

dth.

A Word about Virginia Tech

Seems to me that Greenberg employed an offense last year that is quite similar to Duke's this year, with his two big scorers (both guards) dribbling from the wings to the foul lane and then deciding whether to pull up, take it all the way, or innitiate inside out play. If Greenberg came up with that offense, what's the chance he'll deploy his guys to effectively defend it? Pretty good, right?

Don't be surprised if Tech gives Duke a surprisingly tough run.

Nope, I haven't seen them play this year, but Greenberg can, as the ball coach used to put it, "coach 'em up."

i think this will be the week that will give us the opportunity to legitimately set our expectations for the remainder of the year. these two teams usually give us match up problems and seemingly always play their best against us. not for one second do i think that the twerps shot their wad against unc. they will be fired up for us and blacksburg will be ready for us tonight.

IIRC after the Pitt loss, K questioned the teams' heart in that game. i think of these two games as heart check games. how will we do when faced with adversity? these games will be physical and probably rough.

i think we will have a good idea if this year will be "fun" or if it will be pleasure.

it is not outside the realm of possibility that we lose both. i would not be surprised if we lose one. however, my belief is that we will win both and start to worry a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    i think this will be the week that will give us the opportunity to legitimately set our expectations for the remainder of the year. these two teams usually give us match up problems and seemingly always play their best against us. not for one second do i think that the twerps shot their wad against unc. they will be fired up for us and blacksburg will be ready for us tonight.

IIRC after the Pitt loss, K questioned the teams' heart in that game. i think of these two games as heart check games. how will we do when faced with adversity? these games will be physical and probably rough.

i think we will have a good idea if this year will be "fun" or if it will be pleasure.

it is not outside the realm of possibility that we lose both. i would not be surprised if we lose one. however, my belief is that we will win both and start to worry a lot of people.
    Having seen Osby over the summer, I expected him to be very tough to handle inside, which he was against UNC. The guy is extremely strong and knows how to use his body to advantage. I am surprised that he had shown little until the UNC game.

I think McClure would match up well against him, should Maryland play to Osby's strengths early and often, as they did against UNC.

In my mind, it was Osby, not Gist, who was the key to Maryland's victory, not just because of his offense, but because of his defense against Hansbrough.

I do not think that Osby can be as effective against Duke.

Seeing Henderson and Washington meet in the stratosphere has got to be worth the price of admission. Someoby tell Paulus, "this time put your arms up;" I am anxious to see how much this kid Washington's got!
    Last edited by greybeard; 01-24-2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: add a sentence

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

VT

I've seen VT play this year and I don't think they are a threat to beat Duke. If they are on and playing their best, I think they can keep it close for a while. If they had Allen, I would say they could possibly pull off the upset, if they were playing out of their minds. Their inxperience is too great this year for a team of Duke's caliber.

I think this will be a good test for Duke in a hostile environment. Cassel can get pretty loud and the fans will be physched.

I think Va Tech is the least likely of any ACC teams to beat Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Seems to me that Greenberg employed an offense last year that is quite similar to Duke's this year, with his two big scorers (both guards) dribbling from the wings to the foul lane and then deciding whether to pull up, take it all the way, or innitiate inside out play. If Greenberg came up with that offense, what's the chance he'll deploy his guys to effectively defend it? Pretty good, right?

Nope, I haven't seen them play this year, but Greenberg can, as the ball coach used to put it, "coach 'em up."
    "You may be right, I may be crazy, . . . " but I just don't see the offense that you're looking for.

Greenberg didn't invent the offense. It's been around a while (Phoenix), and K has included some new wrinkles. And I don't see that much similarity between VT's offense last year and ours this year. They only averaged 71.4 ppg and 13.2 apg.

We're averaging 85 ppg and 16 apg this season.

VT

Starters
    Thorns 5-9, FR
    Delaney 6-2, FR
    Vassallo 6-6, JR
    Washington 6-7, SR
    Diakite 6-9, JR

Reserves, over 10 MPG
    Hudson 6-5, FR
    Thompson 6-6, FR
    Witcher 6-9, SO

Notes
    • VT shoots 44% FG, 69% FT, and 34% from 3.
    • Duke shoots 49% FG, 70% FT, and 39% from 3.
    • Vassallo (15.8 PPG) and Washington (12.4 PPG) average double figures for the Hokies.
    • Nelson (14.3 PPG), Henderson & Singler (13.1 PPG), and Scheyer (11.4 PPG) average double figures for Duke.
    • Allen, who is suspended for the game, was 1st or 2nd on the team in points, rebounds, steals, and blocks.
    • VT averages 67.6 PPG, 37.1 RPG, 1/1.1 A:TO, 6.8 SPG, and 5.1 BPG.
    • Duke averages 85.0 PPG, 37.8 RPG, 1.1/1 A:TO, 8.3 SPG, and 4.3 BPG.

Outlook
    If the game is close it will be because Vassallo and Delaney are hitting their 3's and Washington is keeping the crowd into the game with his ESPN play-of-the-day worthy athletiscm.

If Duke runs away with this game it will be because of TO's and a lack of
    savy that has plagued the Hokies this year. They have alot of youth on their team and I'm not sure how they will respond to the hyped atmosphere and pressure that Duke will put on them. Washington who is a senior can get carried away with trying to be the go-to-guy and has a tendancy to be careless with the ball.

In the end, Duke is too composed and too talented for the Allen-less Hokies. Keep an eye on the Hokies for next year though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    "You may be right, I may be crazy, . . . " but I just don't see the offense that you're looking for.

Greenberg didn't invent the offense. It's been around a while (Phoenix), and K has included some new wrinkles. And I don't see that much similarity between VT's offense last year and ours this year. They only averaged 71.4 ppg and 13.2 apg.

We're averaging 85 ppg and 16 apg this season.
    I forget the guys' names, one was Dondell I think, don't recall the other's. Both penetrated from the wing to the foul lane area, either pulled up, went to the basket, or kicked out if things had collapsed. The ball was then rotated to an open shooter, or one of the other of the two penetrated. That is similar in concept to what Duke has going from the wing position with Henderson, Nelson, and Scheyer.

I didn't say Greenberg invented anything. I said he employed something similar. I also said, because I have admired him since his days at USF, that he is a terrific coach, both as a strategist and a facilitator of smart/effective play.

In this context, I would not be surprised if Virginia Tech's defense gives Duke a surprisingly hard time, because, while it might be suprising to some, it won't to me.
    Last edited by greybeard; 01-24-2008 at 11:58 AM. Reason: change word

I forget the guys' names, one was Dondell I think, don't recall the other's. Both penetrated from the wing to the foul lane area, either pulled up, went to the basket, or kicked out if things had collapsed. The ball was then rotated to an open shooter, or one of the other of the two penetrated. That is similar in concept to what Duke has going from the wing position with Henderson, Nelson, and Scheyer.
    Dowdell was his name, I think his first name was Zabian or something - kid gave us fits.

No question, tonight will be a very tough matchup. I expect our offense may have a tough time executing at times, it could be up to the D tonight.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

I think your mired in the past as usual. Tech doesn't have the talent this year to execute the offense and defend as in the last 2 years.

Techsideline write-up

Here are two write-ups from Techsideline about the match-up:

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Dowdell was his name, I think his first name was Zabian or something - kid gave us fits.

No question, tonight will be a very tough matchup. I expect our offense may have a tough time executing at times, it could be up to the D tonight.
    Yep, Zabian Dowdell. He was the player who taunted the student section during the timeout before the dock shot, and he played the next year with a fire under his ^$%^$%^$% to prove he was good.

Without him, and allen out, we SHOULD beat VT. I won't say Will, because the ACC is a conference where ANY ACC team can beat any other ACC team on a good night.

Thanks whereinthe. Looks like they have only a few (2) big bodies so hopefully our rebounding will be better this game. Overall, I dont think they can match our quickness 1 through 5. Our chances look good although, as previously posted, they will get up for this game.

I hope Deron Washington doesn't bring his bad attitude. He makes games against them so hard to watch (aka I get mad)!

I agree with the folks that think Duke matches up well with VT. Duke could certainly come out and play horribly or even just shoot horribly and allow VT to stay in the game, but even in the vast majority of those cases, Duke would still pull out the win, imo. VT's problem is their offense is anemic, which ends up helping out Duke's offense. What I mean is even in those games where Duke shoots poorly, VT's turnovers and missed shots will fuel enough Duke points going the other way to compensate. And in the games where Duke has a good shooting game, VT doesn't have enough firepower to keep up.

I feel that with this Duke team, in order for an underdog opponent to have a decent chance of winning, it must meet a certain threshold of offensive effectiveness. The underdog's best chance for winning is to catch Duke on a bad shooting day and then not allow Duke to make up for it with easy fastbreak points off turnovers and missed shots. I don't think VT meets that threshold of offensive effectiveness and therefore they have a poor chance of winning against Duke, not a decent one. Poor chance obviously doesn't mean 0% chance, though.

As an aside, Duke is an 8.5-pt favorite in tonight's game.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    I think your mired in the past as usual. Tech doesn't have the talent this year to execute the offense and defend as in the last 2 years.
    Cuse me Dvil77, but all I said was that Virginia Tech is likely to defend Duke in an effective manner that might surprise people. I gave reasons that have nothing to do with the past except that Greenberg is very familiar with key elements of Duke's offense this year since he employed them last year.

I also think that it is wrong to underestimate Greenberg's ability to coach em up; he is, in my opinion, the best newcomer the ACC has seen in years.

Should you disagree with any of this why would I not be surprised. It would be nice while you accuse me of "living in the past" that you get what I said a little bit accurately. But, at the risk of being accused again of "living in the past," why should you start now.