I watched the 2nd half and overtime of last night’s game. Some thoughts:
• I really like the play of several of the young Wake players. Last night, Smith, McFarland and Johnson stood out. Wake is the worst shooting team in the ACC and their outside shooting and shooting from the foul line were atrocious last night. Of course, Clemson clanked some free throws as well. Neither of these teams will do well in tournament play unless they can hit a better % from the foul line.
• This was a home game that Clemson needed to win. Wake blew a good opportunity to win a road game. Looking at the league schedule, Wake may have the easiest schedule of all since they only play Duke, UNC and Clemson one time each. They still need to show that they can win on the road against the rest of the ACC.
• I seem to recall that Wake has recruited some highly rated big men for next year. I find that interesting because Johnson, McFarland, Skeen and Weaver are young and they looked good last night. If fact, they outplayed the Clemson big men. IMO, Wake needs some perimeter players who can hit some threes.
• I have not confirmed this but it seems like there have been several overtime games in league play already.
• Smith looked good in the 2nd half but I find it amazing that folks are happy when their point guard hits ˝ his free throws. He shoots 36% for the season.