Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zoubek's Return

Zoubek

K said after the Miami game that Zoubek is progressing, but must pass one more x-ray exam early next week before he's cleared to play.

He said he doesn't expect Zoubek to play against UNC, but hopes to get him back for the BC game next Saturday.

He also said that Zoubek has been working very hard and he'll be in game shape as soon as he's cleared to play. I assume he's been working hard on the stairmaster or in the water to keep his wind up -- I do remember Bobby Hurley returning from a broken foot after missing two-plus weeks and showing no ill effects due, they said, to his hard work in the pool.

Hurley

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    K said after the Miami game that Zoubek is progressing, but must pass one more x-ray exam early next week before he's cleared to play.

He said he doesn't expect Zoubek to play against UNC, but hopes to get him back for the BC game next Saturday.

He also said that Zoubek has been working very hard and he'll be in game shape as soon as he's cleared to play. I assume he's been working hard on the stairmaster or in the water to keep his wind up -- I do remember Bobby Hurley returning from a broken foot after missing two-plus weeks and showing no ill effects due, they said, to his hard work in the pool.
    I thought in one of K's books that Hurley and Bilas had a stairmaster 'pi$$ing' contest where one would post his # of 'flights' and in the next day or two, the other would come back with a higher #. I forgot who won(I think it was Hurley) and Bilas said something to the effect "he's a machine" or "he's not human" and "he kicked my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this." and had done 850+ flights(wish I could remember which book it was). One of you better historians out there with a better memory-HELP!

Maybe Zoubek can return on the home game versus Carolina, just like Brand did in 98, where he dominated! I will be satisfied if he just sent back a couple of Hansflopper shots.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    You're right: Twelve games > (.2)(30).
    The rule was changed to 30% of a team's games, so .3x30=9, still less than 12 though.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Z's return

Why change things now. Not to take anything away from Z but duke has been playing great without him. Besides, he will almost surely be at duke for 4 years so do we really want him taking a chance and creating some type of long term damage? I say let him heal properly and completely and continue his development at the current pace.

Brand

Quote Originally Posted by banneheim View Post
    Maybe Zoubek can return on the home game versus Carolina, just like Brand did in 98, where he dominated! I will be satisfied if he just sent back a couple of Hansflopper shots.
    Actually, Brand returned after a two month absence in 1998 for the UCLA game, one week before the UNC home game. He also played at Georgia Tech in the midweek game before the UNC finale, which was his third game back.

He did dominate in the second half, however, as Duke rallied for one of the sweetest wins in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by blev23 View Post
    Why change things now. Not to take anything away from Z but duke has been playing great without him. Besides, he will almost surely be at duke for 4 years so do we really want him taking a chance and creating some type of long term damage? I say let him heal properly and completely and continue his development at the current pace.
    Fair enough. However, if he is completely healed and ready to play, then it would help the team if he could be out there. It's not like our post situation couldn't use some help. Even if Brian could come in and help keep Singler and Thomas out of foul trouble, we really need someone like that. Kyle's got to have some relief so that he doesn't have 4 fouls with 9 minutes left in every game.

Book

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I thought in one of K's books that Hurley and Bilas had a stairmaster 'pi$$ing' contest where one would post his # of 'flights' and in the next day or two, the other would come back with a higher #. I forgot who won(I think it was Hurley) and Bilas said something to the effect "he's a machine" or "he's not human" and "he kicked my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this." and had done 850+ flights(wish I could remember which book it was). One of you better historians out there with a better memory-HELP!
    I believe the book you are remembering is A Season is a Lifetime, by Bill Brill and Coach K.

Zoubk

Any chance Zoubek is back by tomorrow?

Coach K has said several times that Zoubek will not play tomorrow. However, perhaps he is pulling what many people have suggested Roy is doing - acting as if he will not play and then throwing him out there. Of course, Z's impact would not be nearly as huge as Lawson's, and I don't think the crowd would be as excited...

K will never pull that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    Coach K has said several times that Zoubek will not play tomorrow. However, perhaps he is pulling what many people have suggested Roy is doing - acting as if he will not play and then throwing him out there. Of course, Z's impact would not be nearly as huge as Lawson's, and I don't think the crowd would be as excited...
    If Coach K says Zoubek is not playing, you can take it to the bank.
    Love, Ima

Z will be missed but I think he needs to tke his time coming back,because even though i HATE the tarheels Having him for the tourny would be a real good thing.Plus we do play them twice so he will get his chance.

big man parallels

A thought occurred to me yesterday while watching the game... there's kind of an eerie similarity between Shaq being traded to the Suns and Zoubek returning to the Devils. In both cases you have a team that's playing great using an up-tempo style, yet there are questions as to whether they can survive in the postseason without a dominant big man. At the same time, you wonder if adding a big man will disrupt the chemistry and/or playing style, which is already working.

I'm not saying that Zoubek is Shaq, or that the offense will be as reliant on him when he comes back, but I am curious how things will play out for both teams.

Zoubek's return

When K met with the press Monday, he said he hopes to have Zoubek back Saturday for the BC game.

I think his return would be welcome. He's not going into the starting lineup or anything, but he can offer a few minutes relief in games where Duke is being pounded inside. He gives Coach K an option that he doesn't have now.

In a way, I think he'll be like Taylor King -- in three games out of four, he'll make a token appearance and you won't miss him. But in that fourth game, he'll be huge off the bench!

zoubek

Any word on Zoubek's return - the team is playing wonderfully but it would be nice to have him as an option. Also, I would just like to hear that he is healthy - hate for a kid to go that long with injuries

Good chance he'll play a few minutes today.

Who?