A fresh (or at least another) perspective on recruiting

I remember a time not too long ago - the summer of 2007 maybe - that many Duke fans were upset with the lack of recruiting a point guard. With Nolan Smith now emerging as the next point guard (and sharing that duty with Greg Paulus and many other players during the course of the game), that doesn't seem to be such a problem.

Now everyone is frustrated/upset/curious about our lack of post players. My perspective is that we should follow the advice of Mick Jagger and love the ones that we got. I like having Lance, Brian, and Kyle Singler as our "bigs." Let's not forget that they are young. Really young. They should all be with the team for next year (barring injury, of course), and with this style of play, I think that we have a legit shot at being a really really good team, this year and next. Kyle and Lance can run, defend, and do some rebounding from time to time. They are ideally suited to this team, which is a pleasent surprise.

If we had a "banger," he would take up the lane and stop a lot of dribble penetration, which is a staple of our offense. He also wouldn't be able to switch defensively or flash out on the high post on defense as well. Both of those abilities allow us to cut off the passing lanes and create turnovers - another staple of our offense. I like this team. I like our kids. I like our recruiting efforts. I think that it's safe to say that we are good and will be good to great for at least a couple more years.

That being said, I look forward to some fine young men making an excellent decision in the next few weeks/months. Maybe we should all take a break from hyperventilating every time a big commits to another school, and limit our posts to when interesting stories are written about recruiting targets (Coach K is going to watch Leslie McDonald monday night, 1/21/08) and actual news is released. Any takers?

Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

Are you suggesting that we look at recruiting in a rational and logical way? How foolish!!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    My perspective is that we should follow the advice of Mick Jagger and love the ones that we got.

Time flies like an arrow
    Actually, it's Stephen Stills.

http://www.suitelorraine.com/suitelo...ges/ltoyw.html

I'm not nitpicking, I'm just taking advantage of an opportunity to show my age!
    Bob Green

Thanks, cause I'm 25. I don't know those sorts of things. I did like Mick and company when they played Wallace Wade, though, so I thought that it was important to send some appreciation his way.

Time flies like an arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Me too...actually the quote is: "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with." From his first solo album post CSN&Y.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Me too...actually the quote is: "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with." From his first solo album post CSN&Y.
    Mick and the boys would say you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Mick and the boys would say you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need.
    "but if you try sometimes, you get what you need." (I think)

Sorry...and this from a Beatles (vs Stones) fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

I believe that Jagger said "you can't always get what you want."