Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VT's Jeff Allen suspended

ACC press release

"Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford announced today that a two-game suspension has been issued to Virginia Tech freshman Jeff Allen for inappropriate contact with an official during Saturday’s game at Georgia Tech.

Swofford issued Allen the suspension for deliberately making contact with game official Zelton Steed with 4:32 left to play in the Hokies 81-70 loss to the Yellow Jackets. Allen’s suspension will be in place for Virginia Tech’s home game against Duke Thursday and Saturday’s road game at Boston College."

I was expecting this. Not to be cocky or anything, but this game shouldn't be all that difficult for us now, at least as far as ACC road games go.

Seems a bit ironic that Allen gets suspended 2 games after this "brush" against the official, while Ryan Reid got nothing for the supposed punch on Paulus.

Obviously Allen made contact with an official, but both got T'd up, and Reid's action was more malicious.

FSU guy?

Did the league pass on suspending Reid, on the punch thrown at Paulus? Saw the video at some duke-hating site, and I could not see the punch connect - but from the camera above the play, it sure looked like Reid threw a punch.

Get used to it boys, badge of pride and all that - the scumbag would-be ballers of the world can't compete with your skill, they're going to try and put the hurt on you instead.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Did the league pass on suspending Reid, on the punch thrown at Paulus?
    Right, Reid didn't receive a suspension.

Does anyone know where I could see what Allen did b/c I can't find it anywhere?

Thanks

Wake suspended Chris Paul for throwing a punch at Julius Hodge's twig & berries. It does not appear that the ACC suspended him, though they issued a statement concurring with Prosser's decision.

When is the conference going to grow some you-know-whats and quit leaving it to the schools to self-discipline? An incident like that which involved Kermit Washington seems likely to me if they don't start holding players to a higher standard for on-court conduct. Someone is going to get seriously hurt, and it should not be up to the teams' discretion to cut their own throats by suspending their own players.
    Last edited by cspan37421; 01-20-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Does anyone know where I could see what Allen did b/c I can't find it anywhere?

Thanks
    Go here and skip to about the 2:54 mark.

Greenberg quote

How about this postgame quote from the guy who puts the "T" in Virginia Tech, the great sportsman Seth Greenberg:
    "He told me that he was pulling his shirt out of his jersey [and] he didn't see the guy right away. He told me he said, 'Excuse me,' when they bumped."
    When they bumped? Allen clearly pops the ref in the side with an elbow, soft as it was.
    Of course, Greenberg got a technical in the game. His comment about that was, "Obviously [official Tim Kelly] did not wake up on the right side of the bed."
    Even Virginia Tech fans are getting tired of this garbage now.

That Got A Suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    ACC press release

"Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford announced today that a two-game suspension has been issued to Virginia Tech freshman Jeff Allen for inappropriate contact with an official during Saturday’s game at Georgia Tech.

Swofford issued Allen the suspension for deliberately making contact with game official Zelton Steed with 4:32 left to play in the Hokies 81-70 loss to the Yellow Jackets. Allen’s suspension will be in place for Virginia Tech’s home game against Duke Thursday and Saturday’s road game at Boston College."
    Granted I didn't see the game, and the only thing I saw was the replay from the 2:54 mark linked bellow. But THAT nudge of the ref got a TWO game suspension??!! I mean it kind of looked intentional, maybe; but I also could see it being accidental too. And for that matter the ref just felt the bump, he didn't see the guy attempt or accidentally bump him either. Honestly I could care less and one less guy is all the better for Duke.

It just makes me wonder how they can review this incident and give a TWO game suspension. And the Paulus incident gets no suspension at all. Was the incident with FSU not reviewed? By God the Henderson incident last year was scrutinized by the entire bloody nation when a Duke guy does something extreme. But when someone tries to punk one of our players it seems to be all in the course of play.

On a side note, one thing many of us have noticed over the last few years was the lack of a "swagger" or "confidence" in Duke they used to have every time they stepped on the court. I must say in the Clemson game I saw elements of that returning, even on missed plays like Henderson's dunk. (God I wish he'd made that. And for the record he did not get fouled. It looked like it from the behind the rim view. But from the side view the Clemson players hand was a good 6" from his face.) I like seeing Duke play tough and not let teams punk them, regardless of whether the overly physical play of other team earns them suspensions or not.

After watching that video I think a suspension of 2 games was a little harsh. Okay you shouldn't do that but he didn't elbow him in the face or anything like that. It is bush league but he wasn't trying to harm the ref.

Doesn't matter if he was trying to "hurt" the ref or not. You simply are not allowed to initiate hostile contact with an official or attempt to physically intimidate an official. No wiggle room, no warnings.

Okay but...

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Doesn't matter if he was trying to "hurt" the ref or not. You simply are not allowed to initiate hostile contact with an official or attempt to physically intimidate an official. No wiggle room, no warnings.
    If I happened to meet Lenny Wertz off the court and elbow him REALLY hard in the ribs for all the bad calls he made against Duke and for UNC that's okay right? It still doesn't answer the question Jim how something that slight can be taken with such harshness. And the Paulus incident can be overlooked or taken with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    It still doesn't answer the question Jim how something that slight can be taken with such harshness. And the Paulus incident can be overlooked or taken with a grain of salt.
    The fact that the ACC did not sanction Reid is evidence that the incident was not as flagrant or malicious as some DBR posters believe.
    Bob Green

The suspension of Allen is right on. Under no circumstances, does a player or coach lay their hands (or elbow) on the ref. In some youth leagues where I have coached, the coach or player can be suspended for several games for threatening gestures or words toward the ref/umpire much less making physical contact.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The fact that the ACC did not sanction Reid is evidence that the incident was not as flagrant or malicious as some DBR posters believe.
    Completely agree.

Also, I don't see anyone clamoring for Paulus to get suspended. Though it was completely retalliatory (and understandable - I'd have done the same thing), if you are looking to suspend Reid for his open-handed swipe, then Paulus' kick would have to be looked at too.

I don't think either Reid or Paulus deserved suspensions. I DO think Allen got more of a suspension than he deserved. I'd be okay with a one-game suspension, though, as I can understand the need to make a statement about protecting officials.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Completely agree.

Also, I don't see anyone clamoring for Paulus to get suspended. Though it was completely retalliatory (and understandable - I'd have done the same thing), if you are looking to suspend Reid for his open-handed swipe, then Paulus' kick would have to be looked at too.

I don't think either Reid or Paulus deserved suspensions. I DO think Allen got more of a suspension than he deserved. I'd be okay with a one-game suspension, though, as I can understand the need to make a statement about protecting officials.
    Well, I'm not sure I saw Reid's "swipe" as open-handed, but I definitely do agree Allen's suspension would have been sufficient at one game.

Which was lamer - Allen's elbow to the ref, his "uh, sorry" demeanor afterwards, or Seth's explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Which was lamer - Allen's elbow to the ref, his "uh, sorry" demeanor afterwards, or Seth's explanation?
    In Greenberg's defense, when he said that he said he hadn't seen the play and was just repeating what Allen had told him.

I'll go with option B, his attempt at apologizing.

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    Well, I'm not sure I saw Reid's "swipe" as open-handed, but I definitely do agree Allen's suspension would have been sufficient at one game.
    The mid-court angle (the one in which you can actually see Paulus and not Reid's back) shows it to be an open-handed swipe. It looks worse from the backside (where all you can see is the backswing), but the front angle gives a much different (and tamer) view. Moreover, there was an official right there with the exact same angle who saw the play and immediately called a technical on Reid (and didn't throw him out).

It was still unacceptable, as it was well after the whistle and overaggressive. But it was not a punch, and has definitely been overblown here.