Charting Duke vs. Clemson

Sorry for the late post with these numbers. I've been pretty busy this weekend. This was an interesting game for a number of reasons. First, Duke's second-best lineup had been its worst entering the game (Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Thomas). That's a good sign. Next, we saw a continued disparity between the way Duke plays with each of its two point guards. Duke was +2 with Paulus running the point but +13 with Smith at the helm (they played together shortly and Duke was -2 during that stretch). Finally, we're used to seeing Scheyer's plus/minus numbers dwarf his conventional stats. But against Clemson, there was a new plus/minus star -- Lance Thomas. I had been planning to start a separate thread on Lance before I ever saw those numbers (and I still will), but I thought he quietly took a big step forward against Clemson.

Here are stats:

Individuals
    Jon Scheyer 77-58 (+19)
    Lance Thomas 43-26 (+17)
    Kyle Singler 82-73 (+9)
    Nolan Smith 47-38 (+9)
    Gerald Henderson 64-57 (+7)
    DeMarcus Nelson 79-73 (+6)
    Greg Paulus 52-50 (+2)
    Taylor King 5-5 (0)
    David McClure 16-17 (-1)
    Jordan Davidson 0-3 (-3)

Per 40 Minutes
    Lance Thomas +35.8
    Jon Scheyer +26.2
    Nolan Smith +18.9
    Gerald Henderson +10.8
    Kyle Singler +10.3
    DeMarcus Nelson +6.7
    Greg Paulus +3.2
    Taylor King 0
    David McClure -5
    Jordan Davidson UNDEFINED (had -3 in zero credited minutes)

Lineups
    Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 10-2 (+8)
    Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Thomas (x3) 16-9 (+7)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Singler (x4) 14-11 (+3)
    Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Singler (x2) 18-15 (+3)
    Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-King-Thomas 3-0 (+3)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-McClure-Thomas 2-0 (+2)
    Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler 2-0 (+2)
    Smith-Nelson-Henderson-McClure-Thomas 2-0 (+2)
    Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-King 2-2 (0)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Thomas 2-1 (+1)
    Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-McClure-King 0-0 (0)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-McClure-Singler (x2) 8-9 (-1)
    Paulus-Smith-Nelson-Henderson-Singler 4-5 (-1)
    Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Thomas 0-1 (-1)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Thomas 0-2 (-2)
    Paulus-Nelson-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x3) 8-11 (-3)
    Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-King-Singler 0-3 (-3)
    Paulus-Davidson-Smith-Scheyer-Henderson 0-3 (-3)
    Paulus-Nelson-Henderson-McClure-Singler 2-6 (-4)

Davidson has negative infinity per 40 minutes! Kick him off the team!

stats

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Did you realize why? Oglesby banked in a Horvath shot from about 30 feet with 1 second to go and I am not even sure if he called it that way . Poor Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    only on this board could this be funny. i laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Next, we saw a continued disparity between the way Duke plays with each of its two point guards. Duke was +2 with Paulus running the point but +13 with Smith at the helm (they played together shortly and Duke was -2 during that stretch).
    I commented on this in the paulus experiement thread, but greg has certainly not shot well recently so thats hurting his #'s. but the real case I see for nolan is that what we have gotten from greg is steadying influence on offense who can knock down the open shot and penetrate a little. nolan can do all those things, and while greg is a better shooter, nolan can knock down the open 3 not from as far as greg, and has a solid midrange game and is a good to very good penetrator with good finishing ability and very good athleticism. throw in his defense and everything but his shooting is better than greg right now. late in the game greg has shown a bit of a knack to step up, but nolan could be equal to the challenge. there's nothing to suggest otherwise. (and let's not go crazy on greg's stepping up late and start calling him super cluth or something. we've seen him turn it over late as well, let's not freak out cause of 3 plays in two games).

not to mention we are only scratching the surface with nolan. i now really think he's playing as well if not better than greg every game and is being limited solely by his minutes and role. our future for this year and the next 2-3 years is very, very bright.

jumbo's #'s had me interested in the minutes everyone has played recently and noticed that demarcus played 36 minutes in each of the past 2 games. no big deal as we needed him out there, especially his D against those athletic wings.

its only two games, and i know demarcus is in great shape, but I still hope he can keep his minutes closer to 30mpg, or maybe even less over the next 2-3 games as we have VA tech, Md and NCSU, in that order. the first two are away though and those teams always play us well in their own arena so we may need him out there. I am interested in seeing how we play late in the season with what will (hopefully) be increased "freshness," especially this season as it is going to be one of the longest ever at duke, iirc.

I'm not especially worried about Nelson's minutes. As you said, he's in fantastic shape. Also, if he actually were to "wear down," Duke has plenty of other options to use in a given game thanks to the team's perimeter depth. Interestingly, I think the real thing that will determine Nelson's playing time is the development of Thomas and Zoubek. Nelson's extra minutes are coming as a result of the extended use of Duke's small lineup.