Duke WBB at NC State

The game at Cameron is on FSN at 1:00 today (1/20)! Tune in and cheer.

is something wrong with abby? every perimeter shot she's had has been beyond nba range for some reason. she's not taking very good shots
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

FSN isn't showing the ceremony...it's making me angry....commercials...

Duke women

up 14 with 3 minutes to go, 63-49.

"Our house, our house, our house!!!" And of course, "Drive home safely!"

Duke women

with the W, 71-57. Any details? I have been too busy being a PW .

I don't know what the heck is up with Abby's shooting lately, but I really hope she breaks out of this slump soon. It is beyond frustrating to watch, and I can only imagine how she feels about it--I noticed the State fans chanting "airball" a lot when she had the ball.

Another great game from Chante. Joy Cheek finally had a good game without foul trouble. Wanisha getting her shot back a bit. Great FT shooting. Only 21 points off of 21 turnovers, so that still needs to improve. Overall, though, a good game, go Devils!

Duke did a number of things quite well. One was a great defensive job on Whittington. She came in averaging 18 ppg but was held to 7 points on 3-13 shooting, and most of those came after the outcome had been decided; she was scoreless at the half. Duke doubled her down low, kept a fresh defender on her, and really forced her to rely on a shaky jumper.

Duke led by 10 early, 5 at the half. State tied it early in the second half at 35, then Duke went on a 9-0 run in less than two minutes to get some separation. Steals fueled the rally and a Cheek three made it 47-37.

Duke forced 24 turnovers and got lots of points in transition. Duke also outrebounded State 46-34 and got lots of second-chance points.

14-17 from the line, including 9-9 from Black, Cheek, and Gay. A good sign.

On the other hand, Duke also had 24 turnovers and wasn't all that effective in the half-court offense. State's zone seemed to bother Duke and the 3-16 shooting from 3 didn't help matters.

McCallie feels that Duke is in too big a hurry on offense and still isn't playing effectively for 40 minutes.

Very physical game, which was to Duke's advantage. State is depleted inside. State is now a totally unexpected 0-4 in the ACC but does have a couple of winnable home games coming up. But this is a very young State team and they were rattled on occasion.

Crowd of 8039. State bought a decent crowd and I'm sure Duke was glad to take their money. Good energy all around.

Karima Christmas missed the game because of a kidney infection. Expected to be back for next game.

Key players, Black 17 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, Cheel 14 and 6, and Smith 13 points, 3 steals. Jas had 4 assists but 5 turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    is something wrong with abby? every perimeter shot she's had has been beyond nba range for some reason. she's not taking very good shots
    hmmmm...Greg seems to be in a shooting slump as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    hmmmm...Greg seems to be in a shooting slump as well.
    Not sure if this has been commented on yet, but did anyone else notice during the Duke/FSU men's game, an FSU fan was holding up a small sign of Abby crying?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Not sure if this has been commented on yet, but did anyone else notice during the Duke/FSU men's game, an FSU fan was holding up a small sign of Abby crying?
    I saw it. I didn't think too much of it at first, considering it as some random things your opposing fans throw at you. Then I realized it was probably directed at Greg. I actually giggled at it.

FWIW, Georgia Tech lost to Maryland today 99-95 in double OT.

Duke plays at Tech Thursday at 7. Could be interesting.

Three friends and I made it to the game today. Great experience. Lindsey's jersey retirement was great, the team played hard with lots of positives.

Abby's shot is a mystery, but it doesn't seem to affect the rest of her game. Chante, Wanisha, and Joy did some very good things.

Seeing Kay Yow out there was super. Hope she is feeling as good as she looks.

Kyle Singler was there, and I was lucky enough to meet Coach Cutcliffe in the ticket lobby before the game. He seems calm and self-assured. He graciously allowed me to take a picture of him, and made it a point to shake hands with my friends as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Yeah, I noticed. They have a picture of the signs posted on Florida rivals as well with claim of being responsible for Greg's airballs. According to them, Greg cheated and Abby broke up with him?, so the FSU fans assumed it would throw Paulus off his game when he saw. Don't know the credibility of the details of their relationship, but it must have sucked to see either way.

As for the the game, Abby's shot will start to drop. She works too hard and is too good to miss her shots for much longer. Lindsay's jersey retirement - great! Great reunion of Duke players current and old for a great day in Duke women's basketball.