Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg Echinique

Duke offers Greg Echenique

Duke offered Greg Echenique of St. Benedict's a scholorship on Friday. He joins Kenny Boynton and Erik Murphy. Duke will sign at least four players in the talented 09 class. You can get all the skinny in my premium newsletter if that's your thing.

http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/
    Last edited by Bob Green; 12-15-2007 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Fix link

We have to sign in now just to read your free stuff? Wassup?

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Duke offered Greg Echenique of St. Benedict's a scholorship on Friday. He joins Kenny Boynton and Erik Murphy. Duke will sign at least four players in the talented 09 class. You can get all the skinny in my premium newsletter if that's your thing.

http://my.eponym.com/admin/index.cgi
    did you mean duke will *offer* at least 4 players? if so whos the other?

Quote Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
    did you mean duke will *offer* at least 4 players? if so whos the other?
    I don't think so. Duke will need a big '09 class. Two players (Singler, Henderson) stand a great chance of declaring early within the next two seasons. When the dust settles, I expect 4 players to be signed.

He joins Kenny Boynton and Erik Murphy. Duke will sign at least four players in the talented 09 class.
    Scout says the we've yet to offer Boynton, but that we have extended offers to Reeves Nelson and Deshawn Painter. Murphy is listed as having an offer.

I trust your info more so than theirs, watzone. I wonder, though, if Nelson and Painter are likely to receive offers as well. I've been seeing their names (especially Nelson's) for a while now.

Nice to see us stocking up on big guys, in any event.

It is my understanding that Duke has backed off Reeves Nelson.
    Bob Green

Why are we recruiting Murphy? I've never seen him play, but he just looks slow. Someone, please angrily rebuff my prejudgment and convince me I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Why are we recruiting Murphy? I've never seen him play, but he just looks slow. Someone, please angrily rebuff my prejudgment and convince me I'm wrong.
    If you have never seen him play, how does he look slow? The scouting report on Murphy is that he is extremely skilled around the basket. I interpret that as saying he knows how to score. Like you, I've never seen him play.
    Bob Green

Talking haha

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    If you have never seen him play, how does he look slow? The scouting report on Murphy is that he is extremely skilled around the basket. I interpret that as saying he knows how to score. Like you, I've never seen him play.
    thats a funny one

seems like your just taking a guess at it

what are your sources? just because duke offers at least 4 players doesnt mean 4 will sign.

what are your sources? just because duke offers at least 4 players doesnt mean 4 will sign.
    Nobody said Duke would sign four players for sure, or I didn't mean that. I do feel they are in great shape to do so tho. I have a network of sources and Duke will offer four players, three are done. They are evaluating others. If you go to my site, you will likely see a hint at the possible fourth player.

Duke could lose a player to the pros, but I doubt it will be two unless of course they win it all.

Anybody else watch Echenique play on ESPN2 a couple nights ago? his St. Benedict's team beat the nation's #1 high school team, Oak Hill.

Dan Hurley's St. Benedict's team is loaded with Louisville signee Samardo Samuels (a certain Mickie Dee) and Tamir Jackson also on the roster. Jackson just went nuts in this game and I won't be surprised to see his stock get higher (UAB and St. Joe's have been after him for a while but now schools like Georgetown, St. John's, Maryland, and Va Tech are getting involved).

Echenique is a load inside. He is very strong around the hoop and finished quite well. I didn't see much in terms of an ability to create his own shot (though it is worth noting that St. Ben's doesn't look for him to create that much on his own -- they let Samardo and Tamir do that), but he cleaned up and dunked with authority when he got the ball around the hoop. His sheer physical size would be a nice addition to a Duke team that can use some muscle in the paint. There were moments where I caught myself thinking that he would be making a contribution at Duke RIGHT NOW if he was here -- even though I know that he is still 2 yers away from coming to school (and he has not even picked Duke yet).

--Jason "I find it interesting that one of the schools apparently in the running for Greg is UPenn... yes, the school from the Ivies. Shows Greg knows the valuie of an ejumacashun too " Evans

It is worth noting that Watzone runs a "premium" recruiting website and posts information here for free from time to time... and we thank him for doing that!

He most assuredly has good, legitimate sources close to the Duke program. He is not just some random poster spouting off random opinions with nothing to back them up.

--Jason "I think Watzone meant Duke would like to sign 4 players from the class" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    I meant never seen him play personally. I saw a video clip where he didn't look so quick.

Is that picture of Echenique from last year? I thought when watching the game that his number was 00. In fact I think Samuels may have been #4.

In case you're new here, Watzone has good sources within the program.

What did Duke offer him? I hope it wasn't "head football coach."

Duke could lose a player to the pros, but I doubt it will be two unless of course they win it all.
    Are you talking about after this season or next season? And how would winning it all influence anyone's decision?

It's a legitmate assumption don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Are you talking about after this season or next season? And how would winning it all influence anyone's decision?
    It was reported that in a conversation with Sean May, JJ discussed going pro after his junior season but decided to return, in part to thank Duke and K for being prominently featured in the offense. If there's validity in the statements by Grant (91-92), Shane (01) and others that the college experience is to be valued, then it stands to reason that winning a title is, for some guys, part of that experience. Further the exposure of playing for the national championship surely bares a measurable return when it comes to enhancing a player's draft status. Not sure this is much of a debateable point.

If Ohio State had lost in the second round of the NCAA Tournament last season, does anyone think Mike Conley would have gone anywhere near as high in the NBA draft?

Playing really well on college-basketball's biggest stage can significantly enhance the NBA-draft status of a player.