Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weather update

Weather update

Could be a problem Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.wral.com/weather/story/2321442/

yeah... kinda hoping it isn't so my wife doesn't make me miss the game saturday night
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Two to four inches of show! You people who live in Southern states crack me up. Quick, to Food Lion! There's a run on milk!

hurley - there's a difference between driving in the snow in the South and driving in the snow in the North where road crews have more plows and salt trucks to handle the situation.

So much for my plans to fly up tomorrow morning for the Clemson game.

It was 9 degrees (F) this morning. I still walked to work. Don't forget batteries, BTW.

I thought that this thread was going to be another 9F...

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Two to four inches of show! You people who live in Southern states crack me up. Quick, to Food Lion! There's a run on milk!
    I was talking to my sister-in-law once, who lives in central Massachusetts. School was closed here in Durham due to about 1 inch of snow. She was bragging about how they go to school with 2 feet of sonw, blah, blah, blah . . . My response? "You go to work when there is two feet of snow and it is -7 degrees outside. When we get even an inch we stay home, rent movies, drink hot chocolate, and play with the kids. And you think you have the better system?

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I was talking to my sister-in-law once, who lives in central Massachusetts. School was closed here in Durham due to about 1 inch of snow. She was bragging about how they go to school with 2 feet of sonw, blah, blah, blah . . . My response? "You go to work when there is two feet of snow and it is -7 degrees outside. When we get even an inch we stay home, rent movies, drink hot chocolate, and play with the kids. And you think you have the better system?
    You'd love Los Angeles then...we stay home if it rains too hard.

Don't forget bread. You're gonna run out of bread too.

I have climbed mountains in far worse weather than anything Chicago is getting today or NC is getting tomorrow.

Snow Shovels?

Where do snow shovels go over the summer? Every year, when the first snow is predicted around here, and it actually arrives, there is a run on snow shovels. I can't believe there are that many new residents in the area that would cause such a run that stores are out of shovels. Do people throw them out at the end of winter thinking they won't use them again?

I hope the weather stays nice enough for people to get to the game. When I was attending the games, we always played well in the snow.

RE: snow and the South. Carlos makes the key point here. If it snows 20,
    30, 40 inches every single winter, then you're darn well going to have the best snow removal equipment available and lots of it.

If it averages a few inches a year, then it become more problematic. Budgets are tight, there are a lot of demands for services, and this stuff is expensive. So it's not realistic to expect Raleigh or Durham or any other southern city to have as much snow removal equipment as Buffalo or Minneapolis or Colorado Springs. So when that two inches of snow stays on the road, gets crunched down into compacted ice, and folks start sliding into ditches, then you stay home with that hot chocolate Allen is talking about.

I have climbed mountains in far worse weather than anything Chicago is getting today or NC is getting tomorrow.
    I grew up in upstate New York where I had to walk a mile to the school bus stop through a foot of snow in driving wind carrying a 40 lb backback and a saxophone - uphill both ways!

People, just admit you're weather wimps.

And remember beer.

Besides, it is more difficult to clear the snow when Georgia, South Carolina, and eastern North Carolina have to share the snow plow that they jointly own.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    So when that two inches of snow stays on the road, gets crunched down into compacted ice.
    Wrong, that's not what snow does in the south. It melts the next day, or more likely that afternoon. Geez, you people think you can fool me. You want to see snow compacted into ice, try walking on the sidewalks up here when it hasn't been above freezing in two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    RIGHT ON!

I was in Kalamazoo, Michigan last week and they were talking about how they got a couple of feet of snow like it was nothing. my reply was that there is a very good reason i live in the south
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Smile SoCal

I live just north of San Diego, after having lived in the midwest most of my life, so I've seen both sides of the coin, too. Where I now live, we don't even need a hard rain to get weather warnings about flooding, and not driving on the wet, slick roads.. just a moderate, easy rain throws the whole community into a tizzy.

GMR

As a self-aware carpetbagger, born and raised in rural New Jersey, I say I must at once agree with hurleyfor3 on how funny it is for people in the south to freak out about a couple inches in the snow. That said, and even with years of snow-driving behind me, I absolutely will not leave my apartment until all the snow/ice has melted off the roads, because I am terrified of North Carolina drivers when there's snow on the roads. In fact, if the snow starts to fall after the Clemson game, I may be scared to walk on Towerview back to my apartment...

I do, however, need to go to the store today. Hopefully not many people have seen a weather forecast and don't see any warning in today's weather (high 40s, blue sky).

Wrong, that's not what snow does in the south. It melts the next day, or more likely that afternoon. Geez, you people think you can fool me. You want to see snow compacted into ice, try walking on the sidewalks up here when it hasn't been above freezing in two weeks.
    My freshman year at Duke (1987-88), we got a snowstorm on the first day of classes 2nd semester. For a Jersey boy, it was interesting to see how little snow equipment actually existed, and because of a nice cold snap, the roads stayed icy for 2 weeks. I'm gonna say that I think Wake County schools were out for almost two weeks because of it.

Besides, I live in Washington, where we panic over an inch or two, even though it actually snows here pretty regularly.

Bringing this back to hoops, I recall a game against State during that era when it snowed as we were waiting in line to get into the game. Cameron got so hot that late in the game, all the moisture that we had brought it had condensed on the rafters, and we were treated to a bit of "rain" indoors

Good times