Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Who's Your Favorite Sportscenter Anchor?

In light of all the recent criticism of ESPN, how about we discuss who we like from Sportscenter? I'd think that most people here watch Sportscenter, and probably have a good feel for the anchors that you like or dislike. So...who are they?

My two favorites are Scott Van Pelt and John Anderson, who sometimes get paired together. Even though he's a Terp, I still like Van Pelt's humor and really enjoy his coverage of golf events (which is certainly his expertise). I also love listening to Scott on the Mike Tirico Radio Show. Anderson just seems to have a dry sense of humor that I find hilarious.

Who's your favorite?

Kenny Mayne, Kenny Mayne. A thousand times Kenny Mayne.

Shiny buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I
    My two favorites are Scott Van Pelt and John Anderson, who sometimes get paired together. Even though he's a Terp, I still like Van Pelt's humor
    Yes, Scott is great. I Tivo the SportsCenter after MNF because it's always Mayne and Scott, and their back and forth during the Top 10 plays is routinely my favorite thing on ESPN. Also, Van Pelt is a huge Flight of the Conchords fan, and I always enjoy his rendition of Business Time (probably NSFW). "You know what time it is when Antonio Cromartie has the ball? It's business time!"

OK, sometimes I'm a sucker for sports+entertainment. I'm bracing myself for a shaming from Throaty

I do not watch sports center. I never seems interesting to me. Too much BS and too little content. I do enjoy PTI.

Kenny's other venue

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Kenny Mayne, Kenny Mayne. A thousand times Kenny Mayne.

Shiny buttons.
    If I remember correctly, after Kenny was booted from Dancing with the Stars, he performed in spots modeled on sportscasting but applied to dancing. He isn't much of a dancer, but he is very clever analyzing dancing and sometimes sports!

Beam me up, Scotty

Robin Roberts was my favorite. At least she's on GMA. Now, dfinitely Scott VP. Everyone else. . . eh.

Bob Ley

Linda "Twelve Toes" Cohn! That's a little shout-out for my BOY, Tony K.

Actually Kenny Mayne is up there - Dan Patrick too. I'm showing my age, but not as badly as captmojo! :-)

I know Casey McCall was supposed to the hot one, but I always preferred Dan Rydell.

Oh, wait, that's Sports Night, not SportsCenter.

In that case, I'm going with Rich Eisen and Kenny Mayne.

I haven't watched it in years.

How Dare You...

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I do not watch sports center. I never seems interesting to me. Too much BS and too little content. I do enjoy PTI.
    You don't like Sportscenter, How dare you? You should be banned for that phrase. I like Kenny Mayne and Sportscenter, Duke basketball, and Braves baseball is pretty much all I watch on tv these days.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    You don't like Sportscenter, How dare you? You should be banned for that phrase. I like Kenny Mayne and Sportscenter, Duke basketball, and Braves baseball is pretty much all I watch on tv these days.
    Well, in fairness to Indoor, it's a well known fact that ESPN hates Duke and is engaged in a massive disinformation campaign designed to cripple our recruiting.

Stuart Scott is definitely my fav. Especially his BOO-YAH phrase. His use of ebonics that he understands completely fire me up when I'm watching Knicks/Nets highlights. To put it simply, Stuart is as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Please kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Stuart Scott is definitely my fav. Especially his BOO-YAH phrase. His use of ebonics that he understands completely fire me up when I'm watching Knicks/Nets highlights. To put it simply, Stuart is as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Please kill him.
    Speaking of Stu, please enjoy his commencement address at UNC from 2001.

Oh my god.

I'm speechless. Even if I was at that ceremony as a graduate I would feel very uncomfortable.

He just doesn't get does he?

The first two that came to mind were Tom Mees and Gayle Gardner, but captmojo's Bob Ley is probably better than those two.

Not one mention yet of Charlie Steiner?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Not one mention yet of Charlie Steiner?!?!
    "Follow me! Follow me to FREEDOM!"

My favorites are SVP and Kenny Mayne. Kenny's dry, "The Office"-like humor always has me cracking up. SVP has all of the antics of everyone else and all the catch phrases, but he's much more controlled than anyone else. He also gets his facts right 90% of the time and he's definitely very balanced. He even stood up for Duke and JJ during the Maryland game where the "FU JJ" chants were so loud it was heard on ESPN. I believe his famous quote from that was something along the lines of "You feel better about yourself because you booed JJ Redick? He just dropped 26 on you and went home".

Put them on the show everyday for every SC broadcast.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Scott Van Pelt may be a Terp, but he's also a PIKE (as am I) and so for that reason and those that have already been stated, he is my favorite.

I do like Kenny Mayne too. Stuart Scott should stick to broadcasting UNC games...I never watch those anyway.

Scott Van Pelt and Kenny Mayne (when he does them). As stated previously, SVP knows his stuff and has a good sense of humor. Kenny is just odd and quirky.

Stu Scott makes me want to gouge my eyes out...