Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FSU fan...

Question FSU fan...

A few people addressed some of the chants that were going on after the "scrum" last night. My question was about the fan that seemed to be sitting on top of one of ESPN's mikes. He went ON and ON at the refs, I guess, right after the "scrum", about where were they when Reid got hit and what was wrong with them and how biased they were. I didn't catch all of it, but it was pretty clear on the ESPN telecast, and he went on for SEVERAL minutes. Did anybody catch more of what he was saying? Heck, did anybody else hear him? Was anybody there that heard him? Where was he sitting? Could the refs hear him?

-Joe

We replayed a couple times to catch what he was saying. One I remember was something like, "Let us know you're gonna screw us, we'll lay down on the floor" after an earlier FSU foul (I forget which one) he was clearly unhappy about.

It was comical and annoying to hear that guy yelling near the microphone most of the night.

At the end of the game, after the Reid / Paulus scrum, I think he yelled something like 'Hey Ref, I hope you can live with yourself tonight because you stole this game from us'...or something like that.

Talking oh, man...

Quote Originally Posted by 91devil View Post
    It was comical and annoying to hear that guy yelling near the microphone most of the night.

At the end of the game, after the Reid / Paulus scrum, I think he yelled something like 'Hey Ref, I hope you can live with yourself tonight because you stole this game from us'...or something like that.
    I didn't hear him until after the scrum. But after the scrum, he went on through all the replays, through the play, through GP's free throws, and through the next play. He seriously was on mike for almost five minutes of total time at that point. I didn't catch all of it, cause the fans were loud at times, but he must have been sitting right in front of the mike or something, cause it was impressive.

i did catch the "if you're gonna screw us, let us know and we'll lay down on the floor" line. i had to back up the dvr to make sure I heard that right
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I didn't hear him until after the scrum. But after the scrum, he went on through all the replays, through the play, through GP's free throws, and through the next play. He seriously was on mike for almost five minutes of total time at that point. I didn't catch all of it, cause the fans were loud at times, but he must have been sitting right in front of the mike or something, cause it was impressive.
    FSU had several rows of students that were right behind Bilas and Patrick. I'm sure it was one of them.

I was at the game, so didn't hear him until watching the DVR back this morning, but I did hear the fans at the end of the arena where Duke was shooting chanting "F*** you, Paulus" after the Paulus/Reid incident (which was audible on ESPN), and also heard a bunch of fans gather near the players' exit after the game and chant "You suck Paulus" as he was exiting.

Color me totally unimpressed and full of disdain towards FSU.

Don't forget the FSU fan that threw the water bottle or cup onto the floor. An FSU player picked it up and tossed if off the court right before inbounding the ball. I thought the refs usually stopped play for something like that.

From TV, the atmosphere seemed like a poor man's Comcast Center.

Those fans (the one guy who kept screaming stuff and the group doing the "F You Paulus" chant) were pretty funny. I hope they enjoyed themselves. Otherwise, why go to the game?

After the "F You JJ" chant at Maryland a few years back, I would have thought ESPN would have put measures in place to mitigate this kind of thing. It's not just that cusswords are getting on the air, but that attention is getting diverted from ESPN's talking heads.

Should we tie this thread into the one about the next "most hated" player at Duke? Paulus definitely seemed to fit the bill last night (although not because of his play the first 35+ minutes).

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Should we tie this thread into the one about the next "most hated" player at Duke? Paulus definitely seemed to fit the bill last night (although not because of his play the first 35+ minutes).
    The irony is that throughout the game those guys were actually calling for Paulus to be inserted into the game. They booed every time Paulus was subbed out for Smith, and constantly cheered for Paulus' return. Then, whenever Paulus got the ball, they chanted "airball."

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The irony is that throughout the game those guys were actually calling for Paulus to be inserted into the game. They booed every time Paulus was subbed out for Smith, and constantly cheered for Paulus' return. Then, whenever Paulus got the ball, they chanted "airball."
    It wasn't his best performance on the whole, but I like that he gets past that and still plays his heart out at the end and makes the big plays. He's more than willing to attempt to step up, and he has delivered more times than some on this board admit.

Quote Originally Posted by 91devil View Post

I though he said something like, "I hope you can sleep tonight . . ." He was rather entertaining.

Anybody notice at the home game a few weeks ago (can't remember which one) where the guys sitting behind Art Chandler were clearly audible throughout the game? It took us a while to figure out where the voices were coming from.

Can someone explain to me what Greg Paulus did that warranted being T'ed up along with Reid. And why is Sims getting a free pass when he blatantly forearmed Paulus right in the face while "going after the ball" while Greg was on the floor? I don't know about you guys, but myself and my brother (also a longtime Dukie) have really started to despise FSU altogether from their players (both basketball AND football) and their coach, Leonard Hamilton (acted like a total jerk while shaking hands with K after the game)! But what can you expect when you recruit nothing but THUGS!!!

I thought Hamilton shook hands, smiled and talked a bit with K? Did I miss some other interaction? I thought these two are actually pretty friendly in the ACC?

Very Odd K Quote

Quote Originally Posted by redick4pres View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but myself and my brother (also a longtime Dukie) have really started to despise FSU altogether from their players (both basketball AND football) and their coach, Leonard Hamilton (acted like a total jerk while shaking hands with K after the game)! But what can you expect when you recruit nothing but THUGS!!!
    I just watched the interview with Coach K on the front page of DBR. It streamed erratically and I'm not sure if I got all of it, but at the beginning Coach K said that he has respect for FSU and the team has "good kids." That was unexpected.

I can understand staying above the fray, but I can't recall seeing a more blatant act of poor sportsmanship than Reid's cheap shot. The whistle had blown, Paulus was on the floor, had already been hit and was totally defenseless. If Reid had landed directly, this could be the second knock-out of Rudy Tomjanovich. Then the close-ups of Reid showed him expressing disbelief at the double technical called on the play!?!?

In the wake of that, and all of the chippiness throughout the game, this comment was very surprising.

Looked to me like Paulus was kicking when people went in to try to grab the ball after the whistle. IMO, it deserved the double t.

Can someone explain to me what Greg Paulus did that warranted being T'ed up along with Reid. And why is Sims getting a free pass when he blatantly forearmed Paulus right in the face while "going after the ball" while Greg was on the floor? I don't know about you guys, but myself and my brother (also a longtime Dukie) have really started to despise FSU altogether from their players (both basketball AND football) and their coach, Leonard Hamilton (acted like a total jerk while shaking hands with K after the game)! But what can you expect when you recruit nothing but THUGS!!!

He got the technical for kicking at an FSU player. Yes, it was in response to aggressive actions by FSU players at him. But I'd guess that's why he got the tech.

As for Hamilton, what are you talking about with regards to acting like a total jerk while shaking hands? What I saw looked like a very cordial conversation between the two coaches in the handshake. I certainly didn't see anything that was evidence of being a total jerk. Could you explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymf7 View Post
    I just watched the interview with Coach K on the front page of DBR. It streamed erratically and I'm not sure if I got all of it, but at the beginning Coach K said that he has respect for FSU and the team has "good kids." That was unexpected.

I can understand staying above the fray, but I can't recall seeing a more blatant act of poor sportsmanship than Reid's cheap shot. The whistle had blown, Paulus was on the floor, had already been hit and was totally defenseless. If Reid had landed directly, this could be the second knock-out of Rudy Tomjanovich. Then the close-ups of Reid showed him expressing disbelief at the double technical called on the play!?!?

In the wake of that, and all of the chippiness throughout the game, this comment was very surprising.
    That is absolutely ridiculous. Was it way out of line? Yes. But firstly, it was not a punch (hand was open). Secondly, there was very little ferocity in the swipe. Nothing remotely close to the punch that nearly killed Rudy T. That involved a man running full speed into a full-fledged, raring-back punch. This was a (relatively) light open-handed swipe.

Reid was way out of line, but you are wildly overstating his actions to compare it to Kermit Washington's ill-fated punch.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I thought Hamilton shook hands, smiled and talked a bit with K? Did I miss some other interaction? I thought these two are actually pretty friendly in the ACC?
    I saw the same thing as you. And Hamilton has generally been a pretty decent guy. I have real trouble believing what we saw was anything other than a classy conversation (probably both sides expressing regret over what went down).

For the record, they showed Hamilton yelling at Reid shortly after the double-technical. I REALLY don't think he was acting like a total jerk to Coach K.

20. Agree 100%. Hamilton and K both took the high road and seemed almost deliberately friendly after the game. Greg did kick his legs out a bit, but only after he was popped in the face. Given that Reid is just back from a suspension, his flagrant decision to take several steps into the scrum, cock back, and take a swing can in no way be considered equivalent to Greg flailing about on the ground after he was bloodied by ANOTHER cheap shot. If the roles had been reversed this would have led Sportscenter and Greg would be out for at least 1 game, IMO.