Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FSU fan...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question FSU fan...

A few people addressed some of the chants that were going on after the "scrum" last night. My question was about the fan that seemed to be sitting on top of one of ESPN's mikes. He went ON and ON at the refs, I guess, right after the "scrum", about where were they when Reid got hit and what was wrong with them and how biased they were. I didn't catch all of it, but it was pretty clear on the ESPN telecast, and he went on for SEVERAL minutes. Did anybody catch more of what he was saying? Heck, did anybody else hear him? Was anybody there that heard him? Where was he sitting? Could the refs hear him?

-Joe

We replayed a couple times to catch what he was saying. One I remember was something like, "Let us know you're gonna screw us, we'll lay down on the floor" after an earlier FSU foul (I forget which one) he was clearly unhappy about.

It was comical and annoying to hear that guy yelling near the microphone most of the night.

At the end of the game, after the Reid / Paulus scrum, I think he yelled something like 'Hey Ref, I hope you can live with yourself tonight because you stole this game from us'...or something like that.

Talking oh, man...

Quote Originally Posted by 91devil View Post
    It was comical and annoying to hear that guy yelling near the microphone most of the night.

At the end of the game, after the Reid / Paulus scrum, I think he yelled something like 'Hey Ref, I hope you can live with yourself tonight because you stole this game from us'...or something like that.
    I didn't hear him until after the scrum. But after the scrum, he went on through all the replays, through the play, through GP's free throws, and through the next play. He seriously was on mike for almost five minutes of total time at that point. I didn't catch all of it, cause the fans were loud at times, but he must have been sitting right in front of the mike or something, cause it was impressive.

i did catch the "if you're gonna screw us, let us know and we'll lay down on the floor" line. i had to back up the dvr to make sure I heard that right
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I didn't hear him until after the scrum. But after the scrum, he went on through all the replays, through the play, through GP's free throws, and through the next play. He seriously was on mike for almost five minutes of total time at that point. I didn't catch all of it, cause the fans were loud at times, but he must have been sitting right in front of the mike or something, cause it was impressive.
    FSU had several rows of students that were right behind Bilas and Patrick. I'm sure it was one of them.

I was at the game, so didn't hear him until watching the DVR back this morning, but I did hear the fans at the end of the arena where Duke was shooting chanting "F*** you, Paulus" after the Paulus/Reid incident (which was audible on ESPN), and also heard a bunch of fans gather near the players' exit after the game and chant "You suck Paulus" as he was exiting.

Color me totally unimpressed and full of disdain towards FSU.

Don't forget the FSU fan that threw the water bottle or cup onto the floor. An FSU player picked it up and tossed if off the court right before inbounding the ball. I thought the refs usually stopped play for something like that.

From TV, the atmosphere seemed like a poor man's Comcast Center.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    From TV, the atmosphere seemed like a poor man's Comcast Center.
    That just made an excellent Friday even better. Good work, sir.

a boo for K

I'm dismayed to hear that K said the FSU players are "good kids." That was asinine and disloyal, it seems to me, under the circumstances. What the Hell would he know about their character, anyway, aside from what was revealed by their conduct in the game, which hardly speaks well for them?

not sharing that perspective...

Quote Originally Posted by wumhenry View Post
    I'm dismayed to hear that K said the FSU players are "good kids." That was asinine and disloyal, it seems to me, under the circumstances. What the Hell would he know about their character, anyway, aside from what was revealed by their conduct in the game, which hardly speaks well for them?
    That seems a bit over the top to me. To whom was K being "disloyal" when making that statement? I have a hard time imagining Greg feels K is a less supportive coach because of those words. Absent concrete information about the F$U players character (and he may personally know many of them from recruitment or past games), I'm comfortable with Coach K assuming the best.

I have a difficult time getting worked up about the coach of "my team" saying positive words about an opposing team's players after we just got a great win on the road.

s.i.

Angry not pollyanna

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleIrish View Post
    That seems a bit over the top to me. To whom was K being "disloyal" when making that statement?
    His starting point guard.

I have a hard time imagining Greg feels K is a less supportive coach because of those words.
    Well, call me a sorehead, then, but if it was *me* whose coach had made no protest when I'd just gotten mugged like that and who instead complimented the muggers on their niceness, "supportive" isn't what would pop into my mind if you were to ask me describe my coach in one word.

Coach K and Paulus had quite a discussion on the bench as the game ended, but I couldn't really tell what they were talking about. It appeared to be friendly, but emphatic. I imagine Greg is just fine with Coach K and the situation/comments.

I wouldn't consider it appropriate for K to publicly criticize the other team's players, and I honestly think less of coaches who do; I think it makes them look like poor sports. If he has concerns, he can bring them up privately to the opposing coach, and let him handle it. I like that K is always gracious toward the other team.

He could've complimented their playing without saying that the muggers were nice kids.

Quote Originally Posted by wumhenry View Post
    He could've complimented their playing without saying that the muggers were nice kids.
    K didn't say they were "nice" kids--he said they were "good" kids. It was a classy, sportsmanlike way of defusing a potentially controversial situation. If K were to publicly criticize an opposing player, especially after Duke won the game, it would only inflame all those cretins who desperately seek out reasons to hate Duke and denigrate Coach K. Besides, I wouldn't want our coach to take snide shots at opposing players like a certain legendary former coach at the school 8 miles down 15-501 was known to do.

Dissing another teams players is not Coach K's style. Never has been and likley will never be. I have to agree, however that if K did say something negative towards FSU, the media would be on that like flys on a pig, and once again throw another can of gas on the already flamming I Hate Duke bombfire that seems to always be burning. I would be dissapointed in K if he were to do that. We know in our hearts who the better team is and who has the best fans in the world.

You're beating a strawman, guys. Who said K should have dissed FSU? Nobody. I just wish he hadn't said they're "good kids," which was fatuous insofar as it applied to Reid and Swann.

Those fans (the one guy who kept screaming stuff and the group doing the "F You Paulus" chant) were pretty funny. I hope they enjoyed themselves. Otherwise, why go to the game?

After the "F You JJ" chant at Maryland a few years back, I would have thought ESPN would have put measures in place to mitigate this kind of thing. It's not just that cusswords are getting on the air, but that attention is getting diverted from ESPN's talking heads.

Should we tie this thread into the one about the next "most hated" player at Duke? Paulus definitely seemed to fit the bill last night (although not because of his play the first 35+ minutes).

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Should we tie this thread into the one about the next "most hated" player at Duke? Paulus definitely seemed to fit the bill last night (although not because of his play the first 35+ minutes).
    The irony is that throughout the game those guys were actually calling for Paulus to be inserted into the game. They booed every time Paulus was subbed out for Smith, and constantly cheered for Paulus' return. Then, whenever Paulus got the ball, they chanted "airball."