Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home Depot Interview tomorrow

Hey guys, I have an interview with home depot tomorrow in Tallahassee. I was wondering if you guys had any tips about what to wear (my last interview was with a very different place), what questions they might ask, and any other info you think might be helpful. Also, does anyone here work at Home Depot?

Quote Originally Posted by johaad View Post
    Hey guys, I have an interview with home depot tomorrow in Tallahassee. I was wondering if you guys had any tips about what to wear (my last interview was with a very different place), what questions they might ask, and any other info you think might be helpful. Also, does anyone here work at Home Depot?
    You might want to wear an orange tool vest... Just kidding. Good luck!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    You might want to wear an orange tool vest... Just kidding. Good luck!
    lol. I know, I keep thinking of jokes about what I should wear. But thanks for the good wishes.

I don't have any specific advice for you, other than be friendly to everyone you meet, make eye contact, and have a firm handshake.

Vibes to you for a great interview!

I don't know if you are going to go to lunch with them, but if you do, don't order those cherry(i think) tomatoes in your salad. Those slippery, round, things will only make you look bad.

Sorry, I haven't had much contact with you, so I'm not even sure whether you're a guy or a gal. That said, I'll give guy advice since I'm hopeless advising women on what to wear. Besides, if you're a woman, you can probably figure out the gal equivalent of my advice.

Depends on the job you're applying for. I'd start with a decent button down shirt and khakis for a floor job, and go up from there.

Good luck!

I am old school - interview = suit. Virtually no exceptions.

As a matter of fact I am interviewing today for an internal position - with people I already work with. I am in a suit.

It may not be necessary but it will never count against you.

Eh, I GENERALLY agree with that in the white collar world, or a managereal position in the blue collar world. However, if you want to work on the floor of a Home Depot or at a Blockbuster or something like that, a "real" suit actually might hurt you. If the person interviewing you is a certain type of person, they might see you as stuck up or too well off to need or be happy in that job. I might add a tie to my original discussion, maybe even a sport jacket, but I'd be a little worried about wearing a full on suit for a blue collar interview with a uniform that consists of jeans and an orange vest. JMHO.

Similarly, I don't think I'd wear a full-on suit if I were interviewing for a waiting job, unless it was at a place like Ruth's Chris. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Similarly, I don't think I'd wear a full-on suit if I were interviewing for a waiting job, unless it was at a place like Ruth's Chris. JMHO.
    My daughter was looking for a serving job a couple of summers ago - she filled out an application after having lunch at a restaurant (Chilis type, but not Chilis) because her server said someone had quit.

The called her back to have her to the manager even though 'we don't have anything right now'. She showed up in a suit and suddenly there was indeed an opening, which she got...in no small part (according the the GM) because she 'knew how to dress for an interview'

A suit on a woman can be less formal than on a guy depending on what shirt/blouse you wear with it, so perhaps a man might be OK with a shirt and tie only

(oh good heavens of course PANTS too)

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    My daughter was looking for a serving job a couple of summers ago - she filled out an application after having lunch at a restaurant (Chilis type, but not Chilis) because her server said someone had quit.

The called her back to have her to the manager even though 'we don't have anything right now'. She showed up in a suit and suddenly there was indeed an opening, which she got...in no small part (according the the GM) because she 'knew how to dress for an interview'

A suit on a woman can be less formal than on a guy depending on what shirt/blouse you wear with it, so perhaps a man might be OK with a shirt and tie only

(oh good heavens of course PANTS too)
    Windsor, you certainly know your audience!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I would always go with a suit, no matter the circumstances. For Home Depot you could maybe forgo a tie, but the dressier the better. You never know, people might remember what you wore on that first interview and down the road it could be of benefit.

I own my own company and my rule is: If you can't dress up for an interview you might get the job applied for, but in the long run it only helps to look and act as professional as possible.

Good luck, and like another poster said - firm handshake and eye contact. Try to remember names too. Also, don't be afraid to ask for what you want. Lots of prospects get intimidated during an interview and just agree with what they are offered...it's your career, it never hurts to ask for what would be your ideal situation. Don't ask about vacation time until the last interview. Don't act deperate either...an air of "I want this job but I don't NEED it" usually comes across well, basically make it seem like you do have other options, whether true or not.

What not to wear:

I would stay away from:

Thong
    Those butt-less pants
    Anything edible

Seriously, I would tailor the attire to the position. For a management position, a suit. For a floor position, button down and slacks.
    Last edited by Fish80; 05-21-2009 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling

As a matter of fact I am interviewing today for an internal position - with people I already work with. I am in a suit.

I applied for a position at Levi, Strauss once. (Corporate, in their San Francisco headquarters on the Embarcadero.) I never heard from them, but wondered if I was supposed to wear blue jeans had I been called in for an interview. It was a position you'd wear a suit for anywhere else.

I agree with you in principle, however.

Quote Originally Posted by johaad View Post
    I was wondering if you guys had any tips about what to wear (my last interview was with a very different place), what questions they might ask, and any other info you think might be helpful.
    IMO, the questions you ask are as important as the ones you are asked. Research Home Depot and ask intelligent questions specific to the company and industry. This will probably separate you from most other Home Depot applicants.

As for what you wear, I'd rather find myself overdressed than underdressed. You can always take your tie or suit jacket off, if you find you're overdressed.

Eh, I agree mostly but there are plenty of exceptions. For an IT Healthcare firm, I was told the dresscode was "casual/business casual" for the interview by HR for a project manager position, which also involved at least 10 other candidates, and that people regularly wear jeans to work. I went the dressy casual route (khakis, or maybe I wore black pants, I don't quite remember, and a button down with no tie) and everybody except two went the same route as me - one actually wore jeans and another wore a suit with a tie. They looked out of place; not sure if the employer thought negatively on them, but I thought they looked silly. The person wearing jeans actually fit in more because the current employees of the place were casual as well - the guy wearing a suit stuck out like a sore thumb. Oh, and I ended up getting the job offer, although I didn't accept it...Good luck with the interview!

Thanks for all the advice guys (and yes, I am a guy lol). I'm about to head out for the interview. I'll post how I think it went.

i would say wear what you think you'd wear to work...

if a prospective intern shows up for a gig with my company in a tie, it's not gonna go well...

every situation is a bit different...

Suits? clearly none of you people work in IT or software engineering... Khaki/cargo pants and polos/button down shirt are as formal as I expect from candidates, and as formal as I dress up for my interviews. A suit in itself doesn't hurt, but in my limited experience (3 years) in interviewing engineers, people coming to interviews wearing suits haven't performed too well. Correlation not causation, sure, but just wanted to point that out.

Oh but for your interview, I would agree 100% with going there wearing a suit (again, unless it's for a tech-y job)

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Suits? clearly none of you people work in IT or software engineering... Khaki/cargo pants and polos/button down shirt are as formal as I expect from candidates, and as formal as I dress up for my interviews. A suit in itself doesn't hurt, but in my limited experience (3 years) in interviewing engineers, people coming to interviews wearing suits haven't performed too well. Correlation not causation, sure, but just wanted to point that out.

Oh but for your interview, I would agree 100% with going there wearing a suit (again, unless it's for a tech-y job)
    I am a software developer...showing there is always an exception!!