Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Oh well

I loved the cryptic hint anyway Watzone...

"Carolina often doesn't even see any reasonable explanation for undertaking nonsense taught in most every school"

ya know... like learning things

Boynton Read from Front Page

I love the sound of this kid....

My question to others on DBR is this:

Is anyone else worried that hi mother wants someone (Coach K preferrably) to say that they need Kenny?

Is that something anyone here thinks will come out of K's mouth?

I ask because I think this kid is someone we should get, but I know in the past we have lost kids because we don't make committments to kids on playing time/touches, etc (and rightfully so--not here to argue that point).

Appreciate any reasoning you may be willing to offer.

We do NEED Boynton

Loathe though we are to admit it. He is good, and we will probably have good players when he arrives. Almost certainly, Smith, Scheyer, and Williams will be here when he arrives. But, there is a high probability that Hendo and/or Singler will not be here when he arrives. A good summer from Hendo will get him ready for next year, a projected weak draft in a year when he could well be one of the best players in the ACC. Same for Singler.

When Boyton arrives, for the 09-10 season, Duke may be looking at a year when we have to replace one of, if not both of, our best scorers. Boynton will fit that need. And I read thatguote in the article not as a request for x number of minutes or shots, but rather a family's desire that their star player child goes into a situation where he has the ability to play early and often. I think Duk will fulfill that desire, given K's willingness to play a boat load of guards.

However, I do have a question for the board. Everyone here has been gung ho on this player. At the same time, many here have expressed a desire to avoid going after the so called one-and-done type of players, usually the elite bigs in a class.

Given that he is drawing comparison to Iverson, Wade, and Kobe, at least so far as point production, how long do you think he will spend in college? If he is this good of a scorer, he might not be here more than one or two years. He might not say it, but few of the one-and-dones come right out and say as much. Does anyone else think this kid sounds like a short term player (not that that is in any way, shape, or form, a bad thing), or is just me?

Patrick Yates

It sounds to me like he is everything we could want out of a recruit these days. He is obviously supremely talented and can score from anywhere on the court. He comes from a family that has expressed the importance of education ("graduation rate matters") ("Academics will play a role") ("makes sure her son stays in his books") and the coach-player relationship ("Boynton says he is looking for a strong relationship with a coach, a chance of playing as a freshman, a running style" - which of those don't we offer) in the recruiting process. Boynton himself in the article says: "I just want a good image, good character traits for people to remember me as."

That SOUNDS like the exact kind of player we want. And it sounds like we offer everything he wants. Will he stay in college only 1 year? Maybe. Will he stay four years? Maybe. Did we think Deng was going to leave after 1 year? The point is you never know.

I don't understand how can there be any negativity after reading this. I realize there's always some pessimism when it comes to recruiting. But I read that and say to myself - this is a match made in heaven.

And I don't think we NEED any recruit nor would Coach K ever say so. If we don't get Boynton, I am sure we will find enough players to field a starting team in 2009.
    Last edited by mr. synellinden; 01-22-2008 at 12:50 PM. Reason: add
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    It sounds to me like he is everything we could want out of a recruit these days. He is obviously supremely talented and can score from anywhere on the court. He comes from a family that has expressed the importance of education ("graduation rate matters") ("Academics will play a role") ("makes sure her son stays in his books") and the coach-player relationship ("Boynton says he is looking for a strong relationship with a coach, a chance of playing as a freshman, a running style" - which of those don't we offer) in the recruiting process. Boynton himself in the article says: "I just want a good image, good character traits for people to remember me as."

That SOUNDS like the exact kind of player we want. And it sounds like we offer everything he wants. Will he stay in college only 1 year? Maybe. Will he stay four years? Maybe. Did we think Deng was going to leave after 1 year? The point is you never know.

I don't understand how can there be any negativity after reading this. I realize there's always some pessimism when it comes to recruiting. But I read that and say to myself - this is a match made in heaven.

And I don't think we NEED any recruit nor would Coach K ever say so. If we don't get Boynton, I am sure we will find enough players to field a starting team in 2009.

Boynton's dad also offered up a quote suggesting he would be in college long enough to come close to getting his degree (3 years, with a lot of summer work, at Duke!).

The comment by his mom certainly jarred me, but one can't put too much emphasis on a single quote culled from a single article - who knows the context for that quote? Everything else about KB sounds like he's EXACTLY the type of player that would represent Duke well and be fun to watch. I'm sure hoping he signs.

Heck, if Coach K won't say it, I will. "I NEED YOU, KENNY!" Not sure that will pull quite as much weight, though :-(

s.i.

Ken Boynton

If Ken Boynton is as good as he is suppose to be why would he consider coming to Duke when he would be sharing time in the backcourt with Smith, Henderson , Scheyer and Williams ? He could go to a school and be ,"the guy", right away similar to Jason Williams, Bobby Hurley, Lawson at UNC to name just a few .
    Last edited by Bob Green; 01-25-2008 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Correct player's misspelled name

Maybe you should remember ...

...that recruits and their families do read these boards. Not that they are naive,but don't you think we should leave the negative recruiting to the competing programs, and stay on the positive, welcoming road? Furthermore, we have no idea what the staff knows about players going pro or transferring (not that anyone is that I know of).

Having watched Boynton on tv, he is a special player. He will play wherever he goes.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    If Ken Boynton is as good as he is suppose to be why would he consider coming to Duke ...?
    1. He will receive a quality education.
    2. He will play for the best coach in the business.
    3. He will play on National TV all the time.
    4. He will compete for Championships...

...shall I continue?
    Bob Green

Thumbs up recruiting

If Kenny is looking for a GREAT BB experience and also the best education possible, he and his family would be fools to not get him to Duke. Can't say more...... So Boytons -- the decision is easy. Welcome Kenny!!

It would help if we could at least spell his name correctly...it is BOYNTON.
    Bob Green

If Ken Boynton is as good as he is suppose to be why would he consider coming to Duke when he would be sharing time in the backcourt with Smith, Henderson , Scheyer and Williams ? He could go to a school and be ,"the guy", right away similar to Jason Williams, Bobby Hurley, Lawson at UNC to name just a few .
    Maybe for the same reason that some recruit named Brand decided to come to Duke in a class that included Chris Burgess and Shane Battier.

I've expressed a lot of angst over Duke's frontcourt recruiting on this board. I wish Duke would cast a wider net, focus more on the frontcourt, etc. I also have some issues with Duke's talent evaluation of frontcourt recruits before they even offer schollies...

BUT - I'm starting to notice people here trying to convince the rest of this board that we aren't recruiting the right backcourt players? Am I wrong here? Duke's guard recruitment has always been phenomenal. NYC Duke Fan and PY and Silky, I may be taking your posts the wrong way, but Kenny Boynton would be an outstanding addition to Duke. Why is this even up for discussion?????

Ummm Irish

Heck, if Coach K won't say it, I will. "I NEED YOU, KENNY!" Not sure that will pull quite as much weight, though :-(

s.i.

Ummm Irish, that sounds really bad and I hope when Coach K says it he says Duke needs Kenny. I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

I would like every school to say this quote if we are fortunate enough to get a letter of intent from Boynton, "Oh my God Duke signed Kenny, you bastards"!

Smile

As Coach K days: "You can come to Duke and play with the best, or you can go to another school and play against the best."

sagegrouse
    ' The 270+ inches of snow here is making it difficult for my namesake bird to find food'

A difference

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Maybe for the same reason that some recruit named Brand decided to come to Duke in a class that included Chris Burgess and Shane Battier.
    Brand came together with them. Boynton would be coming with 4 established players on the team.

That said, I agree that Duke is one of the best places to play basketball given everything that it has to offer. I sincerely hope from what I read that Boynton does choose Duke. I f I had an influence over him I would travel down to Florida and try and convince him and his family to choose Duke right now.However, I think that one would have to be naiive to think that Duke is the ONLY great place to play basketball

You are correct But

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    1. He will receive a quality education.
    2. He will play for the best coach in the business.
    3. He will play on National TV all the time.
    4. He will compete for Championships...

...shall I continue?
    The same argument could be made for him going to UNC

Curses

A thousand death wises to you for even suggesting he go to hell (kurlina)

somewhat sort of kidding but I think my point is easily identifiable.

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    BUT - I'm starting to notice people here trying to convince the rest of this board that we aren't recruiting the right backcourt players? Am I wrong here? Duke's guard recruitment has always been phenomenal. NYC Duke Fan and PY and Silky, I may be taking your posts the wrong way, but Kenny Boynton would be an outstanding addition to Duke. Why is this even up for discussion?????
    I have NO idea what post you are referring to, but let me clear up my viewpoint: in no way shape or form am I dissatissfied with our backcourt recruitment and I believe KB would be an OUTSTANDING addition to Duke. As far as I'm concerned this is not up for discussion.

(now that I think of it, I think you might be referring to mine and troublemaker's discussion of whether we will have a "dearth" of guards when KB arrives. This had absolutely nothing to do with KB. We were just projecting out what our lineup would be in the 09-10 season, sans any freshman that might come, since none have committed yet. Again, if KB or his family are reading this: PLEASE COME TO DUKE!!!!!)

The same argument could be made for him going to UNC
    well, Duke is a better education, and you can only have one "best coach" in the business, and imho, its K, not Roy.

If Boynton wants to REALLY compete for championships he should really look at who Duke will most certainly (at this point) have once he arrives in 2009. That list looks like this:

Nolan Smith
    Gerald Henderson (crossing fingers, i think he'll be a 4 year player)
    Kyle Singler
    Taylor King
    Elliott Williams
    Jon Scheyer
    Lance Thomas
    Marty Pocius (if marty got a redshirt?)
    Olek Czyz

Then he should really look at who else Duke has their sights on for the 2009 class:

Lance Stephenson
    John Wall
    Leslie McDonald
    Terrell Vinson
    Deshawn Painter
    Jamil Wilson
    Mfon Udofia
    Elijah Johnson
    Jon Hood
    Greg Echenique

*Those in BOLD = my wish list, i think those in bold, along with Boynton would meld greatly!

*These are all recruits within the Top 50 for 2009 (according to Rivals)