Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    FWIW:
    In home visits; Duke Sept 9, Florida Sept 10.

"I've been to Duke and Florida before, so I don't think I'll take official visits to those schools. I'm still considering them. I'm probably going to make my decision in October after taking some official visits," Boynton said.

I dunno, maybe we can get him on campus after the in-home. Sounds like he really enjoys the recruiting process since he's going to these other schools that are basically out of the picture. I would be a little worried if he didn't do an official visit to Duke though....
    Ughhh! This is actually pretty old. I have a legitimate source who says that he will take an official to Duke. It could change of course, but I will go with what I was told in that they are rarely wrong. September 9th is the very first day coaches can be out and visiting. Duke wanted the first visit. FTR, prospects can say a lot of things when the media constantly hounds them. Make no mistake in that this is a very tough battle for his services and as I have maintained for a long time, it is a two horse race, imo.

I can't remember where this quote was from, but was asked to address the comment in another forum.

Plantation

It doesn't make a lot of sense for someone from Plantation FL (near Ft. Lauderdale) to make an unofficial visit to Durham. It's not like it's in the neighborhood and he's going to drop by unannounced.

Boynton would be making an official visit this fall. He has already made an unofficial in conjunction with his team being in the area, IIRC. Mark can add details, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Boynton would be making an official visit this fall. He has already made an unofficial in conjunction with his team being in the area, IIRC. Mark can add details, I'm sure.
    I'm not watzone, but I will confirm that yes--Team Breakdown played a tournament in the Triangle area (including in Cameron) in May. Both he and Brandon Knight looked great.

I'm not sure what he did on his visit other than play ball, though.

i thought it was a two school race between duke and florida but texas still has an outside shot and apparently Boynton is to visit Austin before making his decision. we're closing in on a great class with possibilities of Avery Bradley, Jordan Hamilton, and Shawn Williams. frankly, i still think he goes to duke but if he doesn't come your way we would LOVE to get this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by texas View Post
    i thought it was a two school race between duke and florida but texas still has an outside shot and apparently Boynton is to visit Austin before making his decision. we're closing in on a great class with possibilities of Avery Bradley, Jordan Hamilton, and Shawn Williams. frankly, i still think he goes to duke but if he doesn't come your way we would LOVE to get this kid.
    Hey I'm still mad at you guys for stealing Coach G for your ladies BB team.

Duke set to visit the Boynton's

Coach K and company will make their way to the Boynton home tomorrow evening. This will be the first day coaches can get back out on the trail. Hopefully, all will go well. There is no secret that Blue Devil fans covet Boynton.

http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the update Wat!!!

I've got a feeling Coach K will come loaded for bear on this visit. He has had weeks to concentrate on this presentation, he has the full Olympic videotape arsenal as well as video on Jason Williams and Kenny's future teammates to show the Boynton family. Duke's video director is also fresh from the China Olympics experience having worked on the scouting videos - I imagine the product prepared for Kenny will be top notch - and full of content not glitz.

Coach K has the Olympic experience to share with glowing reviews from Kobe (every high school player's idol) and Wade - the local hero in Miami. Coach K is also fresh from his vacation.

Kenny is a fine young man and a fine student - a perfect fit for Duke; and Duke has the academic institution, the team, the Coach, the wide-open offense, the facilities, the exposure, the fans, the NBA alumni, etc. which is a perfect fit for Kenny.

I say Coach K hits this one out of the park. Way out of the park.

Boyton and Knight at the Swamp

One of my Gator coworkers just told me that Boyton and Knight were at the game on Saturday doing the Gator Chomp. I so hope that is not true, but as some other posters have mentioned, that would be and electric environment to bring a recruit too. I have no confirmation of this being true and apologize if anyone has already posted this.

Gators

I guess we're concerned about the Gators, but it turns out that the Gator fans are also concerned about Coach K's recruiting prowess following the Olympics.

Let's hope they're right.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas...ad.php?t=69615

Quote Originally Posted by Travi_K View Post
    One of my Gator coworkers just told me that Boyton and Knight were at the game on Saturday doing the Gator Chomp. I so hope that is not true, but as some other posters have mentioned, that would be and electric environment to bring a recruit too. I have no confirmation of this being true and apologize if anyone has already posted this.
    Hopefully he sees that Florida is a football school and Duke is THE basketball school.

Boynton

Not really worried about this. They were at a Florida/UM game, they jsut got caught up in the moment. Shaun Livingston use to show up to Illini games and wore Illinois t-shirts all the way up to his commitment to Duke.

Doesn't mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Travi_K View Post

Has he played ball with our players at all? I seem to remember Dawkins citing this as a huge reason why he committed. He really liked the dynamic and chemistry...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Has he played ball with our players at all? I seem to remember Dawkins citing this as a huge reason why he committed. He really liked the dynamic and chemistry...
    Yes. He played with Mason Plumlee and some of our players when his team visited.

Alright Watzone, gun to your head... Who does Boynton choose today if forced to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Alright Watzone, gun to your head... Who does Boynton choose today if forced to choose?

I don't have a crystal ball and only make a prediction if I feel certain of the outcome. So, please take the gun away

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    I don't have a crystal ball and only make a prediction if I feel certain of the outcome. So, please take the gun away
    Thanks for your updates, watzone. Everything I read indicates this is a very competitive recruiting situation; Duke certainly has a chance, but UF could be the choice.

Question---in your contacts with KB and learning about him, do you think he may well be a one year and done player, who is looking for a fast track to the NBA? Or more likely to "unpack" at least two years, and get the college experience?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Thanks for your updates, watzone. Everything I read indicates this is a very competitive recruiting situation; Duke certainly has a chance, but UF could be the choice.

Question---in your contacts with KB and learning about him, do you think he may well be a one year and done player, who is looking for a fast track to the NBA? Or more likely to "unpack" at least two years, and get the college experience?
    There are so many factors that play into this kind of question. Injury, missing home, adjustment to the college game, girlfriends, and family situation. Just ask Bill Walker...

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Was Luol more likely to "unpack" or a one and done?

Add to the list of advantages at Duke Coach K's NBA contacts - which have grown through the Olympic experience to include closer relationships with at least D'Antoni, McMillan, Jerry Colangelo, David Stern and a host of NBA scouts. Coach K can get a better read on the draft status and preparedness for the NBA of his players. When the iron is "hot" the players go - Dunleavy and Luol are great examples. When they get to the pros, they are considered to be well coached.

Doesn't sound like the same is true with Billy the kid. His dalliance with the Magic probably did not endear him with NBA folk, and his players are considered head cases, albeit talented ones, see e.g. Roberson, Miller, Noah.

I wonder if Coach K alludes to the reputation factor of Duke's NBA players in his presentation to recruits? I would love to be a fly on the wall during an in-home visit.

Good luck tonight Coach K!!!

I hope potential recruits watch people like Lebron talk about playing for Coach K:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmzCIuyS0Is

and like Kobe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq-alR0hg70&
    ~rthomas