Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's the deal with Corn?

Corn - does it have any nutritional value?

Or is it just a beautiful and tasty vegetable enjoyed with butter?

-EarlJam
    Last edited by JBDuke; 03-06-2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: inappropriate content

I don't know...

Not sure about Corn, but while we are asking random questions "Why do we play in a recital, but recite in a play?"

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Corn - does it have any nutritional value?

Or is it just a beautiful and tasty vegetable enjoyed with butter?

-EarlJam
    The inside of the kernel has nutritional value. But we can't digest the outside of the kernel. So kernels that aren't chewed just pass right through (nasty).
    Last edited by JBDuke; 03-06-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    The inside of the kernel has nutritional value. But we can't digest the outside of the kernel. So kernels that aren't chewed just pass right through (nasty).
    Actually, that was my "follow-up" question (seriously). You were ahead of me!

-EarlJam

P.S. Same with peanuts? Be sure to chew 'em?

Same deal with peanuts? Strange. Maybe we're not genetically designed to eat corn or peanuts.

I just looked at my Jif peanut butter and it has sugar and hydrogenated oils added. (I keep peanut butter in my office for hunger emergencies.) Guess I'll have to look for a peanut butter that's unadulterated. Or unfooledaround with, as those juice people say.

Actually, that was my "follow-up" question (seriously). You were ahead of me!

-EarlJam

Why would you do this to us? We just ate lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Why would you do this to us? We just ate lunch.
    Sorry dude.

-EJ

Red face Technically speaking...

Corn is loaded w/antioxidants, for a grain. It also has bunches of niacin, but it lacks the needed amino acids needed to free it for use. If you get traditionally prepared corn products that are treated with lime (not the fruit, but rather the chemical ... CaO), the niacin can be used. It's a classic example of how culture affects our health (the corn example is usually found in a nutritional anthropology class).

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 01-15-2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Same deal with peanuts? Strange. Maybe we're not genetically designed to eat corn or peanuts.

I just looked at my Jif peanut butter and it has sugar and hydrogenated oils added. (I keep peanut butter in my office for hunger emergencies.) Guess I'll have to look for a peanut butter that's unadulterated. Or unfooledaround with, as those juice people say.
    This is a sideswipe from the Trader Joe thread. IMO, the TJ peanut butter is a major reason to shop there. I buy the crunchy salted 1 lb. jar for $1.69. There is nothing in it but peanuts and salt and it is good. That is a great price. Adams and Scudders offer the same type of pb, but not at that price. Everyone else adds sugar.

Oh, my wife likes to pour off the oil -- I'd prefer she didn't cuz I stir it back in -- but even when she does, there is never a taste problem. Good stuff at a good price. You can get smooth or unsalted, if you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    This is a sideswipe from the Trader Joe thread. IMO, the TJ peanut butter is a major reason to shop there. I buy the crunchy salted 1 lb. jar for $1.69. There is nothing in it but peanuts and salt and it is good. That is a great price. Adams and Scudders offer the same type of pb, but not at that price. Everyone else adds sugar.

Oh, my wife likes to pour off the oil -- I'd prefer she didn't cuz I stir it back in -- but even when she does, there is never a taste problem. Good stuff at a good price. You can get smooth or unsalted, if you prefer.
    Thanks, Jim3k. There's a Trader Joe near me, I'll have to try the pure peanut butter.

Why dump the oil? I thought peanut oil was good oil.

When did they start putting corn in Snickers bars?

corn

1. goes great with lima beans(wasn't that a thread several months ago ).

2. makes a GREAT chowder with potatoes, chicken, carrots and some cheddar cheese sprinkled liberally on top(my wife has a wonderful recipe)

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    This thread reminds me of a riddle:

With what food do we take off the outside, cook the inside, then eat the outside and throw away the inside?

And here, I was expecting a thread on the dramatic rise in the price of corn. Did you realize it's gone from about $3.25/bushel in May 2007 to over $5/bushel today? That's CRAZY for corn.

The University of Iowa predicted a US yield of around 12Billion bushels in the 2007 growing season. Whoa.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    And here, I was expecting a thread on the dramatic rise in the price of corn. Did you realize it's gone from about $3.25/bushel in May 2007 to over $5/bushel today? That's CRAZY for corn.

The University of Iowa predicted a US yield of around 12Billion bushels in the 2007 growing season. Whoa.
    See what the increase in the use of ethanol has done!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    1. goes great with lima beans(wasn't that a thread several months ago ).

2. makes a GREAT chowder with potatoes, chicken, carrots and some cheddar cheese sprinkled liberally on top(my wife has a wonderful recipe)
    I want that recipe! Seriously. The weather outside is looking frightful. Cooking the chowder while watching Duke tonight sounds delightful.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    See what the increase in the use of ethanol has done!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Ethanol is the devil!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I read this quote and then went and looked at the peanut butter jars in my house (obviously I need to get a life). The organic, nothing-but-peanuts PB I have (not Trader Joes, brand) shows that it has 1 gram of sugar per 2 tbsp serving - I guess that is what occurs naturally in peanuts. The Peter Pan shows 2 grams per 2 tbsp serving. While that is twice as much, it is still a very small amount. Small enough to make me wonder why it is added at all, or why someone would pay a premium price to get the no-sugar-aadded version. We're talking about a tiny amoung of sugar her (1/4 teaspoon).

corn

I want that recipe! Seriously. The weather outside is looking frightful. Cooking the chowder while watching Duke tonight sounds delightful.

-EarlJam
    gotcha covered, i hope by this afternoon. my wife is looking for the recipe this am and i will try to post or PM later today. if not, you'll have it for the next game.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I read this quote and then went and looked at the peanut butter jars in my house (obviously I need to get a life). The organic, nothing-but-peanuts PB I have (not Trader Joes, brand) shows that it has 1 gram of sugar per 2 tbsp serving - I guess that is what occurs naturally in peanuts. The Peter Pan shows 2 grams per 2 tbsp serving. While that is twice as much, it is still a very small amount. Small enough to make me wonder why it is added at all, or why someone would pay a premium price to get the no-sugar-aadded version. We're talking about a tiny amoung of sugar her (1/4 teaspoon).
    My Jif has 3g of sugar per 2 Tbsp. Not too bad. I'm more concerned about the partially hydrogenated and fully hydrogenated oils. A.k.a. trans fat. I would pay a premium to avoid the hydrogenated stuff.