Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Well, mine of course The messenger of the McDonald news will not even link the Blue Devil Nation in this post.
    Duh! Shoulda seen that one coming!
    You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by hondoheel View Post
    Some people on IC have speculated that one of the wings that UNC has offered in the 2009 class might jump on the last remaining spot. Those wings are Xavier Henry, Lance Stephenson, Dominic Cheek, and McDonald.
    Random recruiting rules question to anyone who knows: Maybe I am misinterpreting but its sounds like this poster is saying that UNC has OFFERED SCHOLARSHIPS to all of those wings you list, but there is only one scholarship spot available right now. So does that mean you can issue 10 scholarships even if you only have 5 spots and then its just 1st come 1st serve? And then you have to "retract" or whatever the remaining 5 scholarships if the guys don't accept them quickly enough? Doesn't sound right to me, but I don't know that aspect of the rule book that well...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    I thought Elliot Williams already signed his letter of intent (or at least verbally committed) back in November to Duke?? I know I've read that he did. (Or I my be misreading the comment, and you're referring to 4 other players outside of Williams)
    We are discussing the 2009 class, elliott is a senior in high school and is a member of our 2008 class along with Olek "The" Czyz

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Random recruiting rules question to anyone who knows: Maybe I am misinterpreting but its sounds like this poster is saying that UNC has OFFERED SCHOLARSHIPS to all of those wings you list, but there is only one scholarship spot available right now. So does that mean you can issue 10 scholarships even if you only have 5 spots and then its just 1st come 1st serve? And then you have to "retract" or whatever the remaining 5 scholarships if the guys don't accept them quickly enough? Doesn't sound right to me, but I don't know that aspect of the rule book that well...
    Offering scholarships and accepting commitments is all verbal at this point. Nothing is official. At some point in the recruitment the coach will tell the player that he has a scholarship waiting for him if the player decides to come to his school. At some future point he may tell other players that I need a SG and I've offered you and player Y and the first one to accept my offer gets the scholarship. Roy did this with Wright and Thad Young and Wright stepped up and took the offer to the dismay of Young.

Also afaik Stephenson has not been offered and is not being actively recruited by UNC.

Conditional, first-come, first-served offers are fairly common.

Duke tends to do this less often than the competition, which drives some part of the fan base quite mad.

Lefty Driesell was notorious for this sort of thing. It wasn't at all unusual for Maryland to bring in eight or ten players at a time and tell them he had three of four scholarships and if you don't want one, well the guy on your left probably does.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Conditional, first-come, first-served offers are fairly common.

Duke tends to do this less often than the competition, which drives some part of the fan base quite mad.
    That must be why I thought it was weird cause i've never heard of us doing that. I guess it just speaks to the type of person K is.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I apologize if this is patronizing as I am not a moderator and certainly have no authority on this board, but your post count is very low so I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that you are somewhat new to the board.

This type of post is generally frowned upon (especially with recruiting where rumors abound more than anywhere) if you aren't known to be an "insider" or can't substantiate your claim in anyway. I believe there is a sticky thread at the top of the main board spelling out policies around "rumor mongering."

Can you go into a little more detail as to where you heard this?
    I thought he was trying to make a funny. I laughed.