Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Memo to self.

No more attempts at humor.
    No! i've been LMAO at your posts today!

I even laughed at the "back-ups" joke that apparently no one else has got yet. especially with all this UNC recruiting discussion you think people might get it...

Also, Jim, I'd be curious to know ur thoughts relative to Bud's above with regard to how you feel about landing our four offered players. I love boynton and have been excited to hear that we are pretty much the leader for him, but I'd love some confirmation from a source I trust a littler better (no offense to anyone else, but I think we all know Jim's the man. Watzone: please feel free to chime in as well). thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    OK. I finally have to ask this. I have no reason to doubt anything you said. However, I am really curious to know how you guys get all this inside info. Is it from newsletters and websites? If so, which ones are regarded as the most worthwhile? I realize what a lame question that must be, but I thank you very much for your indulgence. I would like to follow the recruiting more closely.
    Well, mine of course The messenger of the McDonald news will not even link the Blue Devil Nation in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    No! i've been LMAO at your posts today!

I even laughed at the "back-ups" joke that apparently no one else has got yet. especially with all this UNC recruiting discussion you think people might get it...

Also, Jim, I'd be curious to know ur thoughts relative to Bud's above with regard to how you feel about landing our four offered players. I love boynton and have been excited to hear that we are pretty much the leader for him, but I'd love some confirmation from a source I trust a littler better (no offense to anyone else, but I think we all know Jim's the man. Watzone: please feel free to chime in as well). thanks in advance.
    Okay, I am warning you that it is sorta cryptic. Duke has offered just four players giving them all of their focus. Duke has had success in the past and they must feel that .... okay, there chances are good or they'd be after ten or twenty players. There are a few backup plans, but I gotta get my milk money for anymore info.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Okay, I am warning you that it is sorta cryptic. Duke has offered just four players giving them all of their focus. Duke has had success in the past and they must feel that .... okay, there chances are good or they'd be after ten or twenty players. There are a few backup plans, but I gotta get my milk money for anymore info.
    How is this different from Duke's previous strategy, though? Duke has focused on small numbers of recruits before and doesn't land everyone -- why should this year be different?

I'm aware of a few backup plans, but was also told Duke would cast a wider net...

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    How is this different from Duke's previous strategy, though? Duke has focused on small numbers of recruits before and doesn't land everyone -- why should this year be different?

I'm aware of a few backup plans, but was also told Duke would cast a wider net...
    It is my understanding, for the Class of 2009, Duke did cast a wider net. The staff scouted/observed/evaluated a large number of recruits, prior to offering scholarships to four.

I'm not claiming inside info. My info is just the rumblings of an Internet junkie.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    It is my understanding, for the Class of 2009, Duke did cast a wider net. The staff scouted/observed/evaluated a large number of recruits, prior to offering scholarships to four.

I'm not claiming inside info. My info is just the rumblings of an Internet junkie.
    Bob gets good information and is correct. Duke did cast a wider net and they feel confident that they have a very legitimate shot at landing the targets they sifted out.

I mean, PG is wide open as are two slots up front making Duke attractive to the players who are saying nice things about them.

There is never a guarantee, but 2009 will likely be a solid class. Patience from fans is not only necessary, it is a must for the class of 2009.

Now! Where is that article I know Al Featherston was working on?

Bob gets good information and is correct. Duke did cast a wider net and they feel confident that they have a very legitimate shot at landing the targets they sifted out.

I mean, PG is wide open as are two slots up front making Duke attractive to the players who are saying nice things about them.

There is never a guarantee, but 2009 will likely be a solid class. Patience from fans is not only necessary, it is a must for the class of 2009.

Now! Where is that article I know Al Featherston was working on?
    Gotcha. I've heard many of the same things, and I think I just had a different vision of what "wider net" meant. My understanding is that Duke will keep recruiting/evaluating some other players who haven't received scholarship offers. Correct?

you might want to google their names (include 'Duke'). Then you'll know.

Gotcha. I've heard many of the same things, and I think I just had a different vision of what "wider net" meant. My understanding is that Duke will keep recruiting/evaluating some other players who haven't received scholarship offers. Correct?

Yes. Duke always has their eyes open for talent and they continue to check in on more than the four prospects offered. This way if Murphy (example) picks UConn, another player slips in after an evaluation process.

Good thing Duke offered. Don't know if there was any truth to this, but there was some modest buzz re McDonald and UNC a few days ago

I must 2nd jumbo's question below, however, which is "how is this different from any other year?" Don't we feel that we have a good chance to land every recruit we give an offer to? Otherwise it would be silly to offer them, right?

I guess I always just assume that we have a solid shot to get whoever we offer, but was looking for more then the usual, if that makes sense.

Of course I understand WRT premium info. man's gotta eat...

Quote Originally Posted by acciconoclast View Post
    Good thing Duke offered. Don't know if there was any truth to this, but there was some modest buzz re McDonald and UNC a few days ago
    I apologize if this is patronizing as I am not a moderator and certainly have no authority on this board, but your post count is very low so I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that you are somewhat new to the board.

This type of post is generally frowned upon (especially with recruiting where rumors abound more than anywhere) if you aren't known to be an "insider" or can't substantiate your claim in anyway. I believe there is a sticky thread at the top of the main board spelling out policies around "rumor mongering."

Can you go into a little more detail as to where you heard this?

This time last year how many of us had every heard of Olek Czyz? I certainly had not.

New targets emerge, or can emerge, at any time. I guarantee you there are high school juniors right now not ranked in the consensus top 100 who will one day start in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    This time last year how many of us had every heard of Olek Czyz? I certainly had not.

New targets emerge, or can emerge, at any time. I guarantee you there are high school juniors right now not ranked in the consensus top 100 who will one day start in the NBA.
    True dat.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I must 2nd jumbo's question below, however, which is "how is this different from any other year?" Don't we feel that we have a good chance to land every recruit we give an offer to? Otherwise it would be silly to offer them, right?

I guess I always just assume that we have a solid shot to get whoever we offer, but was looking for more then the usual, if that makes sense.

Of course I understand WRT premium info. man's gotta eat...
    Your assumption is correct or at least logical in that Duke always has a pretty solid shot at the prospects they choose. The percentage is indeed on the plus side of the ledger.

And you are right that Duke does it's research on a player before they offer.

Duke missed on Monroe and they were disappointed that he never visited. They missed on Patterson but got in a little late and Kentucky was always the favorite despite intentional deception. Still, this is not the norm, but is recnt history and you know ... what have you done for me lately. Nevermind Duke is the winningest team since 2000 in all of college hoops.

**Food for thought for those who are freaking out over Carolina's recent barrage of commitments. UNC has been good in the past ... really good and they will likely always be good, just as Duke will. And Duke has won National Championships when they were ranked below and finished below them in the ACC during the regular season. Duke will get theirs.

One more factoid of possible interest. Duke never, ever offers a prospect unless Coach K has seen him play in person and or talked with him.

Anyhow, I answer any and all recruiting questions for members of my site. I don't know it all, but it is what I do and I try to do a good job at it. Trust me, networking, learning what to watch for, ask, and such is not that easy. But I enjoy going to AAU events and the people I deal with More importantly, I love Duke Basketball (and football). Yes, everything past the asterik didn't pertain to questions asked

Watzone

Your insight is always much appreciated.

If South Dakota ever moves out from last place in teachers salary, I plan on becoming a member of your site.

North Carolina Teacher Here......

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    Your insight is always much appreciated.

If South Dakota ever moves out from last place in teachers salary, I plan on becoming a member of your site.
    Amen, I can barely pay the bills I got. I would love to subscribe to Watzone's site but it is not feasible right now, hopefully in the future. In the meantime I appreciate all the info you are able to give us for free on here and I understand that you cannot tell us everything because you have to save stuff for your site. But I do appreciate you and others who share what they know to the board.

I haven't read about any recent "buzz" with McDonald and UNC. Some people on IC have speculated that one of the wings that UNC has offered in the 2009 class might jump on the last remaining spot. Those wings are Xavier Henry, Lance Stephenson, Dominic Cheek, and McDonald. Cheek seemed close to pulling the trigger for UNC after Late Night with Roy, but lately rumors are that he may be favoring Villanova. One of the Wears said after announcing for UNC that they wanted to get in before the spots were taken. One of the wings might come to the same conclusion, but I haven't seen anything about it being McDonald. Of course, I'm not a premium subscriber, so I'm not in the inner circle.

Quote Originally Posted by hondoheel View Post
    I haven't read about any recent "buzz" with McDonald and UNC. Some people on IC have speculated that one of the wings that UNC has offered in the 2009 class might jump on the last remaining spot. Those wings are Xavier Henry, Lance Stephenson, Dominic Cheek, and McDonald. Cheek seemed close to pulling the trigger for UNC after Late Night with Roy, but lately rumors are that he may be favoring Villanova. One of the Wears said after announcing for UNC that they wanted to get in before the spots were taken. One of the wings might come to the same conclusion, but I haven't seen anything about it being McDonald. Of course, I'm not a premium subscriber, so I'm not in the inner circle.
    That's in line with what I hear. UNC has recruited McDonald really hard though. Coach Robinson and Roy have made a lot of calls to his Memphis residence.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    We have a good shot at Boynton, but how do we stand with the other 3? Anyboyd have any info or feelings on how many of these 4 we may actually get? Just Curious!!!
    I thought Elliot Williams already signed his letter of intent (or at least verbally committed) back in November to Duke?? I know I've read that he did. (Or I my be misreading the comment, and you're referring to 4 other players outside of Williams)