Quick computer question

I was having a lot of issues with my XP running desktop, so I backed up my files and reformatted the hard drive. After reinstalling windows and the rest of my software I have 2 minor annoyances:
    1. When I hit the up volume button on the keyboard the volume goes down and the down button increases the volume. Other contols seem to work fine.
    2. I used to have an icon in my quick start tray (next to that green start button) for windows explorer, but I can't figure out how to get that back.

Any advice would be most appreciated!
    The Gordog

Anser to #2

If you have the Internet Explorer icon on your desktop, click on it and drag it to the spot next to you start button. Should work

Right click on the taskbar, select toolbars\Quick launch. Make sure Quick launch is checked.

Check on the computer manufacturer support website, and reinstall all available drivers. (You should always do this when reinstalling any Windows OS from scratch.) I bet this will fix your volume button issue.

And DukieInKansas is right -- just drag and drop a desktop shortcut icon for IE into the quick launch bar. If it's not working, make sure your taskbar is not locked.

Don't forget to get all the Windows and Microsoft updates, and install and update your antivirus software.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    If you have the Internet Explorer icon on your desktop, click on it and drag it to the spot next to you start button. Should work
    It's windows explorer that's missing, not IE.
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    Right click on the taskbar, select toolbars\Quick launch. Make sure Quick launch is checked.
    I have all kinds of apps in quick launch that are working fine, so that's not it.
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    It's windows explorer that's missing, not IE.
    Is there a specific folder you used to open to all the time? (Like, "My Documents"?)

If so, create a shortcut to that folder on your desktop, then drag that shortcut icon into the quick launch bar.

Click Start->All Programs->Accessories and then click and drag 'Windows Explorer' to your Quickstart bar.

I think that's what you're trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Click Start->All Programs->Accessories and then click and drag 'Windows Explorer' to your Quickstart bar.

I think that's what you're trying to do.
    Yesss. That's where it was. Thank you so very much.

billybreen, you rock!
    The Gordog

Note, in Vista, this is much simpler. Highlight the program you want, right-click, select "add to quick launch."

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    Yesss. That's where it was. Thank you so very much.

billybreen, you rock!
    Thank you. I am, after all, the board's resident Windows expert