Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke WBB at Maryland

I'm headed to the game tonight at Comcast Center -- if anyone in DC wants to join us and cheer on the Duke ladies, I have an extra ticket. Pretty good seats in the 100's. Plus there is a private party for our group with pizza and drinks before the game. PM me if you are interested. Go Duke!

Televised?

Does anyone know if this game is televised, either for home television or streaming webcast? I know that the live audio is available online but wondering if there's any way to see it, short of hopping a plane cross-country?

Thanks!

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Nevermind! Glad to see that it's apparently being televised on ESPN2, for any other interested party's information.
    Last edited by ikiru36; 01-14-2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Found my answer!

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    Does anyone know if this game is televised, either for home television or streaming webcast? I know that the live audio is available online but wondering if there's any way to see it, short of hopping a plane cross-country?

Thanks!

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ESPN2 at 7:00

I'll be watching. Got two for the MD game in Cameron. Must be just about sold out. My wife and I are sitting one row in front of/behind the other, same seat #.

Go Duke!

Bump............

Devils down 11 at half. Were within 3 inside of 3 minutes, but back-to-back threes by Maryland hurt them.

Right there with them. 1 point game- 6 minutes left.

Duke-md

Don't look now folks but the women have themselves a REAL barn-burner at 67 all with 3 to go at md-on espn2, I think. They were down 13 early in the 2nd half and have come back big time. Me, I can't watch-too nerve-wracking. Sounds like the officiating in the 1st half was 'the terps get all the calls'.

Duke-md

I gotta stay away from the TV-md on 7-1 run with about 4 to go-sorry 'bout the wrong time in prior post

Duke-md

The women have now been outscored 14-1 since about the 5 minute mark and are down 68-81. I can't watch-too painful.

OUCH.. The barn is burning and just went to the ground.

Did anyone else see the sweater that Duke's male assistant coach was wearing? All I can say is "wow".

That was rough. Oh well, at least they haven't beat us in Cameron for the past nine years

Quote Originally Posted by pratt '04 View Post
    Did anyone else see the sweater that Duke's male assistant coach was wearing? All I can say is "wow".
    Al Brown's sweaters have been an unexpected benefit of the coaching change.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Al Brown's sweaters have been an unexpected benefit of the coaching change.
    Does he have an entire collection like that?? I'll have to keep an eye out for those as the season rolls on.

What is the state of the womens team? This was the first game I have been able to watch and I was alternately very impressed and very disappointed. For stretches the team looked great, stifling defense and fluid offense. Then they would go through a stretch of hectic confusion, poor shot selection and lack luster effort.

I remember a thread questioning the coaching after the back to back losses but it seemed like things were looking better and that the problems might have been more of an adjustment period for coach P. Can anyone who is able to follow the team more closely provide a heads up as to how things are shaping up? Is Coach P gelling with the team? Were the periods of disarray normal or abnormal? Is the team moving in the right direction? How's the recruiting front looking?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge but I no longer live in Durham and have a more difficult time finding information about the womens team than the mens.

I agree yancem--it was difficult to believe they were even in the game--at times especially last five minutes--lost their poise-big time. Disappointing - Cheek with T (prob retalitory? ) but ended up fouling out when she could have been of help in last five minutes.
    Abby having a rough shooting spell-hopefully pulls out of that soon.

Steep learning curve-but they are improving

seemed like every stretch i was watching, we were standing around on offense... as if waiting for someone to DO something. when there was a missed shot, I saw 4 white shirts head to the ball and MAYBE 1 blue shirt. On defense, they were driving a lot, though we seemed to show a little more effort to guard people. What seemed to make me scream at the tv the most was the lack of hustle going after the ball. Don't know how many times in the second half I screamed at the tv to dive for the ball as it was on the floor and everyone just stood there.

It's almost like they saw the score with a few minutes to go and said "next play" a little too soon.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

I attended the game. Agree there was a lot of standing around offense. My yelling "move! move!" when Duke had the ball did not seem to help. MD's bigs are tough. Duke's are taller but rail thin. Get them in weight room, Coach P. Help defense was not so great either. Duke was late several times when trying to take a charge. Also, number of times MD player took the ball length of the court for layup or was fouled in the attempt. A few too many back doors too. Thomas had a bit of rough game but showed promise - some nice moves to the hoop and clutch jump shots during at least one of Duke's runs. I thought Abby played great - hustled the entire game, but when I got home, my parents thought she was terrible. Shows you what I know. Wish they could have gotten her some more 3-point attempts. She could not shake the MD defender at all it seemed. Disappointed in the reffing. MD was in double bonus with more than 10 to go in the first half. There was a big time phantom foul called on a 3-point attempt. Duke player was no where near the MD player. I had the perfect angle and saw nothing but space between the two - ref was behind the MD player and called the foul. More even foul calling would not have helped in the end but it sure was frustrating.

All in all, Duke was more impressive than I expected, making those runs to even go ahead in the second half. Maybe the several comebacks just took too much out of them.

FWIW, the atmosphere was great. The crowd was great. I went with friends who go to the MD men's games and they said the women's games were much more energetic, both the crowd and team, compared to the men's games.

We'll get 'em in Cameron!

I was disappointed with the girls' performance. They would do a great job of catching up, then they would blow it. Ref'ing stunk! In the last 2 minutes of the game I started chanting "Gone in 54! Gone in 54!" I actually believed that chanting that from my living room in Raleigh would somehow reach the girls and light a fire.

Anyone know what Joy Cheek said that warranted a technical?

Also, I have a whole new respect from women coaches. I could not get over how difficult it must be for Coach Frese to be so far a long in her pregnancy, with twins!, and sit down to watch the game. I think at one point I had sympathy pains for her. Good luck to her, hope the delivery is easy and her kids are healthy. God bless her!