View Poll Results: Who was the Man of the Match vs. Virginia?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jordan Davidson

0 0%
  • Gerald Henderson

8 5.71%
  • Taylor King

0 0%
  • David McClure

1 0.71%
  • DeMarcus Nelson

104 74.29%
  • Greg Paulus

3 2.14%
  • Jon Scheyer

0 0%
  • Kyle Singler

17 12.14%
  • Nolan Smith

7 5.00%
  • Lance Thomas

0 0%

Man of the Match vs. Virginia

Who was the Man of the Match vs. Virginia?

Got to go with Markie on this one.

Thumbs up Markie

Great team effort. But Markie really shined. What a great leader he is turning into!

Went with Markie but Gerald and Kyle were tremendous also!

Go Duke!

gotta go with kyle

he took a beating out there, especially when virginia's guys got frustrated. you could hear the smacks from the student section.

what a trooper

I voted for DeMarcus Nelson: 20 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 turnovers, 3-4 from 3-point land, and he defended Singletary.
    Bob Green

A reminder to cast your vote in the official DBR Poll on the DBR Headlines page. So far, 31 people have voted on this BB thread, but only two people have voted in the Headlines Poll.
    Bob Green

Thumbs up Toss up

Went with Henderson -- as his potential leadership and athletism is premo. But again the leadership and exiting play of Markie is supreme. Give it to them both!! GO DUKE. Again -- I LOVE THIS TEAM. They seem to all enjoy playing together. And at times, it like street ball (cool).

Maybe we should retire Markie from consideration. Rename it the Captain Arms trophy.

I agree with Nelson's selection, but I was surprised that only one person voted for Paulus. Even the announcers pointed out that after all the criticism last year, he is playing much better this year. As I recall, he had nine points, four assists, zero turnovers, and three or four steals. Not too shabby.

Motm

I really wanted to vote for JD at an astonishing +80(see Jumbo stats), but Markie had a superb game on both ends of the court. Perhaps he should give an assist to NS for his/their very, very good D on singletary.

Nelson's performance against Virginia: an all-time signature game for him at Duke? Maybe. Head to head against Singletary, a first-team all ACC player, and won the battle, pretty decisively, if you ask me. In fairness, I will say Singletary seemed pretty lonely out there at times.

Oh Captain, our Captain . . . the best Nelson performance of the season, possibly during his Duke career.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I agree with Nelson's selection, but I was surprised that only one person voted for Paulus. Even the announcers pointed out that after all the criticism last year, he is playing much better this year. As I recall, he had nine points, four assists, zero turnovers, and three or four steals. Not too shabby.
    Let's just say that Paulus' D wasn't exactly up to snuff. One-game plus/minus stats also often don't mean much, but I think the fact that Paulus was only +4 last night was illustrative.

Markie-gets mine

Good game by many. But, I thought Demarcus stood out above everyone else.

I'm calling it now: I think Nelson is on his way to 1st team All-ACC.

VaDukie - All league honors will likely be a subject of threads later in the season. Nevertheless, I agree with you. Nelson is currently playing like a first team selection. I expect that he will be joined by Hansbrough, Rice, Singletary and either Ellington or Lawson. While Henderson could bust loose over the last half of the season, it seems to me that Singler is the other Duke player most likely to make 2nd or 3rd team All ACC.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    I'm calling it now: I think Nelson is on his way to 1st team All-ACC.
    It could be tough. Ellington, Singletary, Rice, Lawson, and Rivers all look good right now in terms of backcourt/wing players. Hansbrough and Hickson look really good up front in what is a limited group of frontcourt players. Perhaps Trevor Booker will sneak into the discussion.

I think we'll see two of Hansbrough/Hickson/Booker get first team honors up front, and three of Ellington, Singletary, Rice, Lawson, Rivers, and Nelson get it in the backcourt. It may come down to whether or not voters weight team record into the equation (probably hurting Singletary, Rice, and Hickson if their teams struggle). But I suspect two point guards and two big men will get the honors, leaving one spot for wing players. In other words, Ellington, Nelson, and Rivers could be battling for one spot.

Demarcus

Noticing a trend here? He's been outstanding this year. I'm so proud of him.

And, IMO, if Duke completes the regular season with a Top 2 ACC finish, it would be very hard to keep Demarcus off 1st Team All-ACC. Very hard.

demarcus looks great. lots of people have already covered a lot of the areas I would praise him on, so i'll stick to something less mainstream: i think the slight reduction in mpg is helping him. he was able to guard singletary very well last night, at least as well if not better than any other time he has had to guard him, imho. And I think its also helping him on the offensive end as well where his shooting touch is returning. (kudos to nolan too, who may not directly sub for demarcus, but can also come in and guard a fast perimeter player thereby giving demarc sudo-breather)