Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talk about Home Court advantage...

Duke does not only Duke have an advantage at home because of the Cameron Crazies... It also has the advantage of Cameron's lack of A/C! Two Virginia players have cramped up already with 10 min left to go in the 2nd half.

Cameron seems to be rocking again! It is really loud on TV tonight... best effort of the year by the Crazies. 9F!

Quote Originally Posted by dukediv2013 View Post
    Duke does not only Duke have an advantage at home because of the Cameron Crazies... It also has the advantage of Cameron's lack of A/C! Two Virginia players have cramped up already with 10 min left to go in the 2nd half.

Cameron seems to be rocking again! It is really loud on TV tonight... best effort of the year by the Crazies. 9F!
    Cameron has A/C. I don't know if they ever turn it on though.

dang guys, don't you know it COSTS TOO MUCH TO run the a/c?!

dth.

The AC contributes to Global Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Cameron has A/C. I don't know if they ever turn it on though.
    Promote energy sustainability ... keep the AC off!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

NOTE: Please DO NOT make this a PPB thread.

I think the A/C only reaches as far as the old people upstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Heat rises and I will pay an extra $10 a game for some air upstairs...and respect your elders!

After they put it in a couple of years ago, there was a noticeable difference. I know there have been a number of notes from the Crazies this year noting the difference in temperature from last, though.

It's really noticeable in the student section. It's a lot hotter this year than previous years. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

A/C for the old folks?

Old Folks???? Honey, you don't know hot in Cameron! The air was moving some tonight, but wasn't doing the job. As for cooling the "old folks," all us season ticket holders (many of us the original Cameron Crazies) paid a surtax on our tickets for a while to get the AC paid for. Your comment suggests you were cutting your science classes when this was covered. Not only does hot air rise, cold air falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Your comment suggests you were cutting your science classes when this was covered. Not only does hot air rise, cold air falls.
    And cast iron sinks.

sinks

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    And cast iron sinks.
    No, stainless steel sinks...

And, just to keep it on the main board, it was quite warm in CIS last PM.

Why the return of heat???

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    No, stainless steel sinks...

And, just to keep it on the main board, it was quite warm in CIS last PM.
    The heat in Cameron has been noticeable for several home games, sometimes little or no air movement at all. Anyone know why? Surely the AC units aren't out of warranty !!!!

"I think the A/C only reaches as far as the old people upstairs."

Actually, the higher you go in CIS, the hotter it gets. Hot air rising and all that.

Put 9300 people in Cameron. Add TV lights and lots of activity. I don't think they make an A/C system strong enough for that.

FWIW, the climate control system was primarily put in for practices and classes not games.

FWIW2, after the game Leitao said that Baker had been having problems with cramps going back to high school. Several other players have a history of cramps. It did not offer an opinion as to why this occurred.

Preparation

I noticed Henderson, King, and others hydrating during warmups at about 10-15 minutes before the tip. I didn't see any similar efforts from Virginia players. Very little is left to chance in Dukeville.

An observation

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Actually, the higher you go in CIS, the hotter it gets. Hot air rising and all that.

Put 9300 people in Cameron. Add TV lights and lots of activity. I don't think they make an A/C system strong enough for that.

FWIW, the climate control system was primarily put in for practices and classes not games.

FWIW2, after the game Leitao said that Baker had been having problems with cramps going back to high school. Several other players have a history of cramps. It did not offer an opinion as to why this occurred.
    The system was adequate for several seasons, TV lights and all. This year the temperature during games seems to headed back to BAC (before AC). In fact, it seemed noticeably hotter last night than the week before. Any thoughts about why it's warmer this year? Is this evidence global warming at Duke?

The system was adequate for several seasons, TV lights and all. This year the temperature during games seems to headed back to BAC (before AC). In fact, it seemed noticeably hotter last night than the week before. Any thoughts about why it's warmer this year? Is this evidence global warming at Duke?
    Hardly. But the crazies going nuts and generating MUCH more energy (and heat) in our first ACC game surely contributed to the heat.

As my AC guy noted when my AC broke down last summer, the reason it takes so long and so much work to cool a building that is hot is that everything soaks up heat, the furniture, the walls, the people. The AC doesn't just have to cool the air, it has to cool everything before a person notices a temperature drop. Thus, if the day is warmer (I don't know the weather in Durham lately, but it's been pretty warm in DC for January), the building itself is warmer, not just the air in the building. Further, if it WAS cold last night (<50), they might not have wanted to run the AC as that's hard on it. Depending on the type of unit they bought, the refrigerant could liquify, which could destroy the condenser if it's working hard and it's the wrong type. Combine warm day to warm the building with cold night to keep the AC off, stuff a ton of bouncing, screaming people in there, and poof, hot and wet. Not to mention, if it WAS cold yesterday, they could have been running the heat in the offices for anyone that might have been working during the day, thus creating a warmer atmosphere before the game started, assuming there is a heater, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Apologies. Natural Sciences was the area of knowledge that I opted to skip, so my understanding of physics is shaky at best.

I was working on the assumption that the cold air entered Cameron from the upper decks. On its way to the ground, it cools those it passes by first. By the time it reaches the ground, it's just warm air that smells like old people.

Smells like old people?

Apologies. Natural Sciences was the area of knowledge that I opted to skip, so my understanding of physics is shaky at best.

I was working on the assumption that the cold air entered Cameron from the upper decks. On its way to the ground, it cools those it passes by first. By the time it reaches the ground, it's just warm air that smells like old people.
    And what do "old people" in Cameron smell like?

And what do "old people" in Cameron smell like?
    Heaven?

Sorry, I was being tongue in cheek with both that remark and the complaint about old people in a previous post. As one who is closer in age to the "old people" than the students, chalk this up to my jealousy of season ticket holders.