Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    I'm pretty close to agreeing with Pomeroy.

I took the current records and added the remaining games that the other 10 have with Duke and UNC as losses to see how much ground the teams would have to make up to get to the magic 8-8. Below are the adjusted team records assuming Duke and UNC split and Duke/UNC win all of their other games.

Duke _ 6-1 _ +5
    UNC _ 5-2 _ +3
    Clemson _ 3-4 -1
    Ga Tech _3-4 _ -1
    Va Tech _ 3-4 _ -1
    Maryland _ 2-4 _ -2
    Boston College _ 3-5 _ -2
    Miami _ 2-5 _ -3
    Wake Forest _ 2-5 _ -3
    FSU _ 2-6 _ -4
    NCSU _ 2-6 _ -4
    Virginia - 1-6 _ -5

As you can see Clemson, Ga Tech and Va Tech are in reasonable shape. At least one of them can make it. Maryland and BC are possible. The others are hurting.

Clemson

All of you folks talking about "the sky is falling" on Clemson should dig a little bit deeper into the facts.

Clemson is currently 27 in the RPI. SOS is 15. They've lost 4 of their last 7 - which is apprarently what qualifies as a collapse. Home vs. #4 UNC (OT). Home vs. #75 Charlotte (hangover). Road vs. #5 Duke (some of you may recall that that game went toe-to-toe for 37 minutes.) Road vs. #29 Miami (by three points and with arguably their best player out with injury for 3/4 of the game.) The only other blemish on the record is a neutral court 3 point loss to #14 Ole Miss.

Aside from the Charlotte game Clemson hasn't lost a bad game. And even the Charlotte loss isn't terrible - they're a Top 100 RPI team. It just so happened that the front end of Clemson's ACC schedule was loaded with three of the four most difficult games. It is entirely possible that Clemson can close the season on an 8-2 or 9-1 regular season run. Here's the remaining schedule:

vs. BC
    @UVa
    @UNC
    vs. GaTech
    @NCState
    @FSU
    vs. Miami
    @Maryland
    @GaTech
    vs. VaTech

Yes, FT shooting continues to be a problem this year - although there is a marked difference between the haves and the have nots as opposed to previous years when nobody on the roster could hit one. And, yes, the games still need to be played. But assuming that Booker comes back healthy after an opportune week-long break in the schedule I think Clemson is poised to finish 3rd in the conference (easily) and perhaps garner a Top 4/5 seed for the NCAAs.

FWIW, Pomeroy favors Clemson in 9 of 10 remaining games.

The real shame of the unbalanced schedule this year is that we're all deprived of what would have likely been a fantastic match-up of Duke v. Clemson in Littlejohn. Clemson has historically played Duke very well at home and had already acquitted themselves quite well at CIS. I suppose an ACC Tourney semis or Final match-up would have to suffice as replacement.

Smile Two bids

Since Duke and Carolina will both go 13-3 and all remaining teams will go 7-9 in the conference creating a 10-way tie for 3rd (or last depending on how you view it); I predict only two teams make the tourney.

I cannot discern any difference in the bottom 10 teams.

bids

Quote Originally Posted by Klemnop View Post
    All of you folks talking about "the sky is falling" on Clemson should dig a little bit deeper into the facts.

Clemson is currently 27 in the RPI. SOS is 15. They've lost 4 of their last 7 - which is apprarently what qualifies as a collapse. Home vs. #4 UNC (OT). Home vs. #75 Charlotte (hangover). Road vs. #5 Duke (some of you may recall that that game went toe-to-toe for 37 minutes.) Road vs. #29 Miami (by three points and with arguably their best player out with injury for 3/4 of the game.) The only other blemish on the record is a neutral court 3 point loss to #14 Ole Miss.

Aside from the Charlotte game Clemson hasn't lost a bad game. And even the Charlotte loss isn't terrible - they're a Top 100 RPI team. It just so happened that the front end of Clemson's ACC schedule was loaded with three of the four most difficult games. It is entirely possible that Clemson can close the season on an 8-2 or 9-1 regular season run. Here's the remaining schedule:

vs. BC
    @UVa
    @UNC
    vs. GaTech
    @NCState
    @FSU
    vs. Miami
    @Maryland
    @GaTech
    vs. VaTech

Yes, FT shooting continues to be a problem this year - although there is a marked difference between the haves and the have nots as opposed to previous years when nobody on the roster could hit one. And, yes, the games still need to be played. But assuming that Booker comes back healthy after an opportune week-long break in the schedule I think Clemson is poised to finish 3rd in the conference (easily) and perhaps garner a Top 4/5 seed for the NCAAs.

FWIW, Pomeroy favors Clemson in 9 of 10 remaining games.

The real shame of the unbalanced schedule this year is that we're all deprived of what would have likely been a fantastic match-up of Duke v. Clemson in Littlejohn. Clemson has historically played Duke very well at home and had already acquitted themselves quite well at CIS. I suppose an ACC Tourney semis or Final match-up would have to suffice as replacement.
    good insight/analysis, Klem. But what about Clemson playing well/winning in chappaheeya this year? Can't you guys run the table? I'd still bet some folks at DBR would help you with a bail bond for runnin' nekkid down Franklin St. this year or ANY year .

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

good insight/analysis, Klem. But what about Clemson playing well/winning in chappaheeya this year? Can't you guys run the table? I'd still bet some folks at DBR would help you with a bail bond for runnin' nekkid down Franklin St. this year or ANY year .
    While I wouldn't put the rent money on it, I think Clemson will have a really good showing at Chapel Hell this year as compared to other years. If you're capable of taking a team to the wire on your home court and almost winning you're capable of winning on their court too. It's just a matter of execution. I for one have been waiting my entire life (but haven't we all?!) for the tigers to beat the heels at UNC to put the distinction of 0-?? to bed. Hypothetically I think whatever UNC team actually loses to Clemson at home will be looked at like the infamous 8-20 UNC team that ended all their streaks. It's got to happen some time, why not this year? Go tigers! For one game at least!

I don't think Clemson plays at CH this year, do they?

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    2/10/2008 Clemson at UNC

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m...kbl-sched.html

My bad.

Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Sun, Feb 10 at (4) North Carolina 6:30 pm, mark it on your calenders and don your lucky tiger striped underwear. Wait that last part was just for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    Sun, Feb 10 at (4) North Carolina 6:30 pm, mark it on your calenders and don your lucky tiger striped underwear. Wait that last part was just for me!
    If we're lucky, the underwear won't be needed.

Home vs. #75 Charlotte (hangover).

The madness continues in the ACC, with Miami dropping a two-point loss at Wake.

By the way, one more notable thing about the ACC - no school will have 10 losses before February. The ACC is the only conference in the country that this can be said about.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke