Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Let me be the 1st...Nolan or Greg?

I know this is becoming more and more of a hot button issue, but it really is something that should be discussed intelligently. I don't know if people paid attention to it tonight, but Duke played much much better when Nolan is on the floor. Greg is tough as nails and is a very good shooter. But the fact remains he has physical limitations that are apparent and are exacerbated in March.

Greg's experience may give him the nod, but it's pretty apparent that Nolan's upside come March call for him to start. K would have to handle that delicately, but your best players play. Late in the game w/ a minute to go and Nolan banged up, Paulus wasn't even on the floor. Think about that. He didn't even come in until Singler fouled out.

Why "or"?

Play them both. Whoever has the hot hand gets the lion's share of the minutes, but both should play plenty. Having multiple lead guards is an asset, not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHoopsGuru View Post
    I know this is becoming more and more of a hot button issue, but it really is something that should be discussed intelligently. I don't know if people paid attention to it tonight, but Duke played much much better when Nolan is on the floor. Greg is tough as nails and is a very good shooter. But the fact remains he has physical limitations that are apparent and are exacerbated in March.

Greg's experience may give him the nod, but it's pretty apparent that Nolan's upside come March call for him to start. K would have to handle that delicately, but your best players play. Late in the game w/ a minute to go and Nolan banged up, Paulus wasn't even on the floor. Think about that. He didn't even come in until Singler fouled out.
    A rediculous point to debate. Each will contibute about equally. They bring different talents and each has great skill.

I'm not sure that it's an "either or" situation.

We have two great point guards that bring different styles and different strengths. No need to choose, IMO.

I'm just thrilled we have them both for another year. They'll both continue pushing each other, which will make them--and this team--better.

I have been one of the hardest people on Greg on this board, but I think he is still the clear starter for these reasons: (1) Greg just had a bad night tonight (and Nolan had what had to be hist best game of his career, right?), (2) the match up with Vasquez really favored Nolan's athleticism.

Both. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    A rediculous point to debate. Each will contibute about equally. They bring different talents and each has great skill.
    Why is it ridiculous to debate? Nolan's minutes now will play a major role in March. It's obtuse to think otherwise. Your best players should play....period. It's not a knock on Greg. Nolan has ACC athleticism.

Why is it ridiculous to debate? Nolan's minutes now will play a major role in March. It's obtuse to think otherwise. Your best players should play....period. It's not a knock on Greg. Nolan has ACC athleticism.
    Read the next 2 sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Nolan gets more experience now in ACC play - has a higher ceiling - is improving more and more with every game - ie. the more he plays - the better he'll get - the farther Duke will go in March.

In 3 years has anyone see Greg hit one pull up? He over drives and his conversion rate on layups is poor. He needs to work on his mid range.

Why is it ridiculous to debate? Nolan's minutes now will play a major role in March. It's obtuse to think otherwise. Your best players should play....period.
    What do you mean, his minutes now? Smith is getting at least 20 minutes a game in ACC play. That's more than enough to get him ready for March, and a number that will continue to rise as Smith shows that he's ready for this level.

It really is amazing. For years - years! - people complained about not playing the bench. Now Duke has a deep team, and people are complaining about the time-sharing arrangements. Unbelievable.

This is retarded. We have two point guards with complementary strengths who share minutes, each an excellent change of pace from the other.

What is there to be upset about?

Quote Originally Posted by The1Bluedevil View Post
    In 3 years has anyone see Greg hit one pull up?
    Aside from the one he hit tonight to tie the game? No, not really.

Both. Next question?

We need them both; this is a good 'problem' to have! I love Nolan's athleticism and Greg's shooting.

dth.

don't know whos upset. its just a discussion. its obviously something some Duke fans are pondering. It's good to hear stuff from both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Aside from the one he hit tonight to tie the game? No, not really.
    There is a huge difference between pulling up on a fast break and pulling up mid-range in traffic.

No knock on that shot - it was huge - Smith probably wouldn't have hit it.

Seriously, the arrangement is perfect as of now. They're essentially splitting time, which leads to two well rested point guards.

My problem with K in the past has been him playing players too much, as 40 minutes is hard to do. 20 min Each allows for both our point guards, the most important position at setting up our O, to be fully rested.

It really is amazing. For years - years! - people complained about not playing the bench. Now Duke has a deep team, and people are complaining about the time-sharing arrangements. Unbelievable.[/QUOTE]

Why can't Duke's bench still work w/ Paulus being the one coming off the bench? People, I'd take a Greg Paulus any day, but he has athletic limitations. Just think back to VCU and Eric Maynor. Greg shot greg, but the fact remains Duke had to have John Scheyer guarding him on the most crucial play of the game. Smith, Nelson, and Henderson gives Duke arguably its most athletic 1, 2, and 3 in a long long time under K.......maybe ever.

Both have their strengths

Clearly Smith is rapidly improving- but Freshman should not play that much or they can hit a wall. I expect both will play and continue to contribute. Paulus is a smart guy- he knows his limitations and having Smith come in and not letting him have to play all game is helping him to be fresher at the end. In the last few games, Paulus has played very well in the closing minutes.