Thread: Kansas team

Kansas team

Watching Kansas - Oklahoma. Kansas looks very, very good. I would love to see Kansas - UNC before the NCAAs. Kansas may have the best shot at beating the Tarheels, although I haven't watched Memphis. However, Kansas looks almost unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Watching Kansas - Oklahoma. Kansas looks very, very good. I would love to see Kansas - UNC before the NCAAs. Kansas may have the best shot at beating the Tarheels, although I haven't watched Memphis. However, Kansas looks almost unstoppable.
    Don't let one game sway you too much. Kansas is good, very good, and certianly one of the leading contenders for the national title... but they are no unbeatable. No one is.

With the exception of Memphis, playing in a weak conference without many real tests left on their schedule and playing almost all their remotely difficult games at home, there is no team that will go unbeaten in the regular season-- I'll give you 5-1 on that.

Carolina looked extremely beatable against Clemson-- they should have lost that game. Kansas was not much better than unranked Arizona and the game was played at Kansas. Kansas had all they could handle against USC too.

--Jason "Memphis could go unbeaten -- Conf USA stinks" Evans

Don't forget that UCLA beat Kansas in the Elite 8 last year. UCLA probably lost a slightly more valuable player in the draft (Afflalo versus Wright) but they also picked up Love.

Also, don't forget that Kansas will probably lose to Belmont in the first round.

Kansas, UNC, and Memphis are all so close that it's hard to call. I hate to say it, but UNC might be the smartest of the three, but I don't think they are as athletic as the other two, and not as good a jump shooting team. Of course, that's all based on just a handful of KU and Memphis games having been watched versus about 3/4 of the UNC games.

UCLA needs to be in the UNC/KU/Memphis group. Neutral court win against Mich State (w/out Collison) wins at Cal and Stanford in the same week. Beat the 5th ranked team handily after Wash State hit 7 3's on 7 consecutive possessions. Have an all american big and play the best D in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Don't forget that UCLA beat Kansas in the Elite 8 last year. UCLA probably lost a slightly more valuable player in the draft (Afflalo versus Wright) but they also picked up Love.

Also, don't forget that Kansas will probably lose to Belmont in the first round.
    don't forget that self coached teams always choke in the tournament.

mgtr-

I used to post on the phog.net website up until about one year ago; the Kansas fans are really serious about their team and follow them very closely. I agree that they're for real this year and indeed, I think that this might be their year to win the whole thing. They have so much going for them that it's going to be very tough for anyone out there to beat them this year.

dth.

Not Winning the Big one

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    don't forget that self coached teams always choke in the tournament.
    They used to say that about Coach K until 91. Admittedly, Duke had gone to the FF several times before that, whereas Self hasn't. Yet. It is hard to get to the FF, but this year's KU squad has a chance. It all depends on the bracket of course, but I would not be surprised to see KU playing deep into the tourney.

Honestly, I think Memphis will be the first "elite" team to go out. They will get fat, soft, and weak against the weak sister's of mercy that comprise the Conf. USA.

Patrick Yates

I think Kansas is currently the best team in the nation. And barring injury, they have at least as good a shot as any other team in America to win it all. I personally think this is their year.

I know Bill Self and KU have a penchant for getting things stuck in their throats during tournament time. And I know picking a team to win the NC in January is about as smart as playing in traffic. But I don't see any team as complete as the Jayhawks right now. Yes, they struggled against Arizona and USC, but those two games were 6 weeks ago; Kansas, like most good teams in America, is a lot better now than they were in late November.

I continue to hold UCLA and Kansas above the rest of the nation; there's just something about these two teams that I really really like. On top of great guard play, with Arthur, Jackson, Kaun and Cole Aldrich, Kansas has the best front line in America. And it's not even up for debate, IMO.

This team is the real deal.

We'll see. Big test this weekend at Mizzou, even if they're not great. It's always a battle there. And they just handled Texas fairly well.

My concerns include legitimate post scoring. That's coming around pretty well. The other concern is that our guards can get sped up and basically spazz out. There are times when these kids seems a little too kid-like.

The nice thing is we're clearly better than we were a year ago. Our team A/TO ratio is really good compared to a year ago. We share the ball well. We play reasonably good defense, particularly if we're allowed to hack and grab. We shoot the ball fairly well from deep.

It's a good team. It's fairly deep at all positions. It's been fun to get back into hoops after just an amazing football run.

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to eliminate Duke from the mix -- I have seen UCLA a couple times, and was not that impressed. I have watched UNC a couple of times, and was impressed. But, having now seen KU once, I am very, very impressed. Of course, one game does not a season make, and it is a long, long time from January to March.
    If the apparent #1 seeds are UNC, KU, UCLA and Memphis right now, I bet that at least one of them stumbles before March.
    Here is an interesting thought, what if one of the early season tournaments was moved to February, and D1 teams were prohibited from playing conference games that week. Not likely to happen, but could be very interesting to see some midseason interconference games.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to eliminate Duke from the mix -- I have seen UCLA a couple times, and was not that impressed. I have watched UNC a couple of times, and was impressed. But, having now seen KU once, I am very, very impressed. Of course, one game does not a season make, and it is a long, long time from January to March.
    If the apparent #1 seeds are UNC, KU, UCLA and Memphis right now, I bet that at least one of them stumbles before March.
    Here is an interesting thought, what if one of the early season tournaments was moved to February, and D1 teams were prohibited from playing conference games that week. Not likely to happen, but could be very interesting to see some midseason interconference games.
    I was at Thursday's UCLA game although I didn't manage to swing tickets to Saturday's game against WSU. However, as Westbrook has started gaining more confidence and the team has learned how to feed Love in the post a little, their offense has picked up. Their defense has been stellar all year and will be there night in and night out, so I would have to think that they'll have a great chance to win it all. Great defense and 2 top PGs are both recipes for success in the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    They used to say that about Coach K until 91. Admittedly, Duke had gone to the FF several times before that, whereas Self hasn't. Yet. It is hard to get to the FF, but this year's KU squad has a chance. It all depends on the bracket of course, but I would not be surprised to see KU playing deep into the tourney.

Honestly, I think Memphis will be the first "elite" team to go out. They will get fat, soft, and weak against the weak sister's of mercy that comprise the Conf. USA.

Patrick Yates
    there's a BIG difference between losing in the final 4 with a team that's not the best in the country (i think the '86 team was the only team that was the best that lost pre '91) and getting upset every year and not even making it to the final 4 -- particularly when he has a 1 seed or loses to the likes of a 15 seed.