Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I'm proud of DeMarcus Nelson

I hadn't been a huge DeMarcus Nelson fan before this season. In fact, he often frustrated me. I lamented the way he (for three years) would simply put his head down and bull his way to the basket, without seeing his teammates or the defenders in his way. Privately, I hoped Henderson and Scheyer would surpass him this season. I assumed this habit would never changed.

I was wrong.

I was very wrong.

No one is going to confuse Nelson's court vision with Steve Nash's. But he is really making an effort to play with more control. He drives to the hoop with greater awareness. He's creating opportunities for others. He's understanding the game better.

Nelson isn't an offensive superstar. You're not going to run a ton of isolation for him an expect him to dominate. But he has grown into an all-around player. He is a fantastic defender. He is tremendous rebounder (and we don't even need to say "for his size" anymore). He is an improved shooter and he has shown the courage to take big shots late in games.

And like many Duke seniors before him, he seems to have grown into the role of a terrific leader, something I never envisioned a couple of years ago. We can't know for sure about the internal dynamics of a team with which we spend no time, but it certainly seems like the guys like and respect him. He appears to be vocal when he needs to be and his grit sets a tremendous example for everyone.

The kid has really grown up, and continues to do so a bit more every game. I'm proud to be able to watch it happen.

Seconded! Hell, Thirded!

Markie has arrived. Just like JJ, whose game became rounded his senior season, the same thing has happened to Markie.

Well, 'happened' doesn't say it. He grew into it through sheer effort and desire. I 'spect it could have occurred sooner, but (fingers crossed, here) the injury bug kept biting him.

Being healthy cures a lot of things and allows for growth. Your observation about his keeping his head up is spot on.

(I do hope, when he cuts to the basket from the top of the key, he is using new sneakers for each game (a la Jeff Mullins, who went through a pair per game), so it minimizes his slipping on those damn decals and shiny paint jobs. Wet spots are one thing, but those painted areas/decals can be just as much trouble and you can't wipe them up.)

I agree Jumbo

I think that he has done a lot of growing in his time at Duke also. He is certainly more vocal than ever before.

Gosh, I can't believe that I'm actually agreeing with a unc fan.

I've been a huge DeMarcus Nelson fan all along so I am very pleased with his maturity as a leader and a player. Thanks for starting this thread. I hope all Duke fans appreciate how much better Nelson is playing.
    Bob Green

I think Duke's style of play this year on both ends is a contributer. On offense, in particular, allows DeMarcus to move with the ball at a controlled pace to an area slightly above the foul line from which point he can make reliable reads and decisions about whether to pull up and shoot, take it to the basket, or kick. Very empowering and DeMarcus is a bundle to handle with those options and his talents in that context. I agree, it is terrific to see the stature he has come to embody.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Just like JJ, whose game became rounded his senior season, the same thing has happened to Markie.
    jj scored 22 ppg his JUNIOR year. thats more than battier, jwill, brand, laettner, hill, dawkins ever averaged.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    On offense, in particular, allows DeMarcus to move with the ball at a controlled pace to an area slightly above the foul line from which point he can make reliable reads and decisions about whether to pull up and shoot, take it to the basket, or kick.
    i notice this too, but the only problem I see with that is people will start giving Demarcus the pull up 18 footer b/c his midrange game is pretty weak. Even if you think thats harsh, its certainly much weaker relative to his ability to take it all the way to the rim so people will start laying off him.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    jj scored 22 ppg his JUNIOR year. thats more than battier, jwill, brand, laettner, hill, dawkins ever averaged.

We are not talking scoring average, here. We are talking about his whole game. Just as JJ went from being an outside shooter, he reconfigured his offense to become a midrange threat, and a catch and shooter off screens, the willingness to constantly move without the ball, and even to play some better than adequate defense.

Markie's improvements are different, but he, like, JJ, has made himself a threat from more locations than simply driving into traffic. He could still improve his kickouts, but he knows much better what he's doing in the trees. He seems to be turning his FT's around, too, so driving and being fouled becomes a weapon, whereas before, he couldn't take advantage from the line (this is still a major work in progress). Plus his 3-pt shot is pretty effective. And, his defense, always good, has been stepped to an even higher level. He's cut down on his ballhandling mistakes and most importantly, has become the team's actual leader. The value of that cannot be overstated.

jim3k

No doubt on the leadership. I fully expected Demarcus to continue to step up his game and he has not really surprised me in this regard. But the leadership he has (seemingly at least) shown is something I did not really expect to see from him this year. So far, that has probably been as important as any improvements in his overall game and skill.

jumbo - You are right on. Nelson is not only the senior leader of this team but through the first 13 games he has been their best player, IMO.

gw67

Actually, JWill averaged 21.6 ppg as a sophomore to JJ's 21.8 as a junior.

DeMarcus

Like Bob, I too have been a big DeMarcus fan all along. I love his game, and he has really stepped it up this year.

And fans sometimes forget, he's made a number of big time plays with the game on the line. Against VCU last year he drove the length of the court to put us ahead. In the December Davidson game he made the plays to get Paulus his shots in the last two minutes. Versus Pitt, he had that amazing layup at the end of overtime that gave us the lead. There are more examples, but you get the point.

Most importantly, this team is his team. And they are a close group, with great chemistry, having fun and winning.

Hi,

Yet another prime example of the benefits from staying in college all 4 years.

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Same boat

I was in the same boat as Jumbo. In pre-season I kept wanting to overlook Nelson in favor of another player. Now I'm wondering if we have anyone that will be able to fill his void next year? Nelson has a hand in everything it seems. His inside presence for this small team is huge. If he could ony nail 70% of his FT or better.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Actually, JWill averaged 21.6 ppg as a sophomore to JJ's 21.8 as a junior.
    Well, technically, 21.6 is still less than the 21.8 that Redick averaged. As is the 21.3 Williams averaged as a junior is less than 21.8. Not to say Redick was better than Williams, but Silky's statement was accurate.

Jumbo,

I know you follow the NBA. Do you think Markie has a shot to stick in the league? He is a great defender. Offensively, he seems too small given his skill set (more of a forward than a guard), but if he works on his handle and shot ...

Slim

Rebounding guards

I agree with what everyone has said thus far. Here's my question Where among rebounding guards can we place Demarcus. In my limited years of watching the ACC, the two best I remember are Bruce Dalrymple and Phil Henderson.

Other thoughts?

Phil Henderson was a good rebounding guard, but not one of the best all time. He averaged 3.8 rpg his senior year, 2.9 overall.

Maybe you're thinking of David Henderson? He averaged 4.8 rpg his senior year. But he was also a combo forward / guard.

Rebounding Guards

Nelson is certainly one of the best rebounding guards of all time in the ACC. He compares favorably with Dalrymple of Georgia Tech who was a terrific defender/rebounder from the guard position. Another guard who was an outstanding defender/rebounder was Johnny Rhoades of Maryland. The best rebounding guard in ACC history, IMO, was Bob Sura. He averaged 6.0 rpg over his career and 7 rpg over his final three years. He was a very agressive player who had good quickness and jumping ability. He was also an outstanding offensive player who averaged 18 ppg over four years and he was a creative passer who averaged 3.7 apg over his career.

gw67

i notice this too, but the only problem I see with that is people will start giving Demarcus the pull up 18 footer b/c his midrange game is pretty weak. Even if you think thats harsh, its certainly much weaker relative to his ability to take it all the way to the rim so people will start laying off him.
    I see the point of decision being more maybe a foot behind the foul line (I forget how far that is). With DeMarcus moving at a very controlled pace, in balance and rhythm, it is difficult for a defender to give him that shot. Anyway, if he feels it he shoots it; an open shot from a step behind the foul line in rhythm, either you take that or you are in the wrong sport. Besides, it almost doesn't matter what the defender wants to give. He has to be moving at DeMarcus's pace; no choice here. If he gives ground to DMarcus and allows DeMarcus more freedom to dictate, DeMarcus closes the space himself until there is contact and he is into the interior of the defense, one on one, with his momentum going forward and the other guy waiting on him. I like that position; I'm sure K and DeMarcus do too.

The guy must guard the dribbler as he enters inside the key, and if the dribbler sees a lane, and can explode with a first large attacking step like DeMarcus can, he can and will hurt you. Much more under control; much less time for help to adjust; easy to read the help and know when it calls for a kick. Very nice concept.

Previous years, it was about being dangerous from the 3 line, and starting charges from that distance. I like this much better. Find that it is a bit of a throw back to pre 3 times, and takes away some of what makes the 3-game less interesting and clever to me than the game of old.

Phil Henderson was an ordinary rebounder for 6'4." Dawkins was a better rebounder, as were Spanarkel, Vince Taylor, and Thomas Hill.

Of course, this brings up a taxonomy question. Is Nelson a guard? In conventional terms, a basketball team consists of one center, two forwards, and two guards. We hear a lot about Duke's three-guard lineup. Is one of those guards a de facto forward?

Duke's nominal starting lineup can be defined as Paulus/Smith at the 1, Nelson at the 2, Henderson at the 3. So Nelson is a guard. But when Scheyer comes in for Henderson, Nelson becomes a forward. When Duke goes small, Henderson is the 4, Nelson the 3. Except when Duke plays Paulus, Smith, Scheyer, and Nelson. Then Nelson is the 4.

Of course, Duke doesn't have positions, so this is all hypothetical.