Thread: Alas poor Rick

Alas poor Rick

SLU just lost to George Washington 49-20. That is, according to the ESPN guys, the lowest men's point total since the advent of the shot clock.

SLU had 1 point after the 12m timeout. They had 7 at halftime. It took them over 29 minutes to get into double figures.

Might Majerus miss the ESPN booth tonight?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

poor Rick

Curse you , Throaty-I thought this was going to be about Neuheisel getting put on probation already at UCLA...and it's only about Majerus...how disappointing...

Ugly Ball - GWU vs. St. Louis

I thought that the Devils game with Temple was ugly. Well, last night a fellow alum and I ventured to Smith Center to watch George Washington play St. Louis and we saw a game that probably sets the standard for “ugly” as GW won 49-20. I didn’t expect a high level of basketball but I was not prepared for the ineptness of both teams. The Colonials are mediocre and played poorly but St. Louis was worse, much worse. It was the first time I’d seen GW play this year and I was not impressed during warm-ups as they missed lots of shots and some of their players seemed more interested in putting on dribbling displays rather than putting the ball in the hoop. At the other end, the Billikens looked like a small mid-major and I presumed that with Majerus as coach they would handle the ball well and could shoot. Boy was I wrong! About the only aspect of play that was above average was the shot blocking by GW.

gw67

This must be the basketball gods punishing him for his pronunciation of "offense".

The most painful thing for me about this event is that in most of the articles I saw on this today, it was referred to as the "...lowest score by a Division I team in the MODERN era".

I remember VERY well being in my dorm room and listening on the radio to the broadcast of the 1968 ACC tournament game when we went down in defeat to NC State by a score of 12-10. Today was the first day that I was aware I had been at Duke during the "pre-modern era".

I know they really mean the "pre-shot clock era", but I'd be happier if that was not referred to as pre-modern.

I've always thought of pre-modern major league baseball players as playing right after the Civil War. How in the world has the 1968 ACC tournament fallen into the same era???

Glen

Majerus:
    "I tried to keep coaching the game. Sometimes you miss. We are a team that has some issues. That is why we are practicing (Friday). We did miss some good shots, yes. Anyone can look at us and see we don't have height, we don't have depth."

"It's like being a stepparent. I didn't pick them. They didn't pick me," Majerus said of the players. "They are trying hard. They are trying. It is a process. The effort is good. If it wasn't I would say it publicly."

Blame the playes. I've lost respect fotr Majerus.
    ~rthomas