Daily Show and Colbert are back!

It's very weird having no writers and no correspondents on the Daily Show, but they are back, finally. The first show back was pretty good for each, but I worry about their ability to sustain momentum without support. Hopefully, the crazy primary season gives them enough jokes to stay afloat.

I was very glad they were back and turned over from the NC football game to watch. I thought the references to facial hair were good, especially the Colbert beard.

Overall, I thought that Colbert's show was a little better, with Stewart kinda rambling on with the professor on labor issues.

I like the new names of their shows while the strike is on.

I hope this strike gets over before all the funny election things pass.
    ~rthomas

Well, Stewart rambling is part of the point - he doesn't have writers to create any bits, so its him and whoever he can get on the show. Expect mostly conservatives for a while.

Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    It's very weird having no writers and no correspondents on the Daily Show
    Are the correspondents considered writers?

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    I'm pretty sure they all have WGA cards as they do write on the show as well. Even if they didn't, I think they would be concerned about crossing picket lines.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    I've always assumed that they worked on their own bits (not necessarily exclusively), but I could be wrong about that. Either way, there is nothing for them to do now, as their bits are all scripted.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    I've always assumed that they worked on their own bits (not necessarily exclusively), but I could be wrong about that. Either way, there is nothing for them to do now, as their bits are all scripted.
    There was a good bit with John Oliver last night. He's a British correspondent here on a work visa, the stipulations of which say he's not allowed to strike (though he was simultaneously striking and doing a bit with John). It was a cute little segment.

There was a good bit with John Oliver last night. He's a British correspondent here on a work visa, the stipulations of which say he's not allowed to strike (though he was simultaneously striking and doing a bit with John). It was a cute little segment.
    Ahh, I haven't seen last nights yet. I really don't know where they draw the line between something they've "written" and something where they're just riffing at this point. I mean, they definitely lay out the foundation of the segment ahead of time for each of these bits (including the opening bits) but at what point are they technically considered "written"? They tend to read off a teleprompter, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Ahh, I haven't seen last nights yet. I really don't know where they draw the line between something they've "written" and something where they're just riffing at this point. I mean, they definitely lay out the foundation of the segment ahead of time for each of these bits (including the opening bits) but at what point are they technically considered "written"? They tend to read off a teleprompter, after all.
    I'm pretty sure all the segments are completely written. That it sometimes looks like riffing is a sign of good writing, but any correspondent segment would likely be a WGA strike violation.

I'm pretty sure all the segments are completely written. That it sometimes looks like riffing is a sign of good writing, but any correspondent segment would likely be a WGA strike violation.
    I don't think that anything now is being read off a teleprompter - Jon is riffing, even if he prepared earlier. I don't think that he would violate the strike that strongly. He is uncomfortable doing what he is doing already. And I believe he has a WGA card himself.

Are you suggesting the segments are written regularly? That makes a lot of sense.

Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    I don't think that anything now is being read off a teleprompter - Jon is riffing, even if he prepared earlier. I don't think that he would violate the strike that strongly. He is uncomfortable doing what he is doing already. And I believe he has a WGA card himself.

Are you suggesting the segments are written regularly? That makes a lot of sense.
    Yeah, sorry, that's all I was saying.

It's very impressive that they can keep the facade up so well with no prompters. Colbert did a small benefit in Charleston just before Christmas, and during the Q&A he seemed very worried about the quality of product without writers. They've done really well, but I'm not sure how long they can keep it up.