Thread: Kindle, anyone?

Kindle, anyone?

Has anyone else gotten a Kindle (or maybe another similar "book")? I am interested in hearing what people think. I got one for Christmas, and I really like it. Here's what I like: it's easy to use and really convenient. I can browse anytime, anywhere. It's also very easy on the eyes and to hold - can be read in all the same ways as a 'regular' book. It will be great for traveling, for those times when waiting for a delayed flight. It also seems like a great way to go for textbooks - easy to highlight, etc.

What's not to like: the books aren't free (well, they really shouldn't be) - although they are cheaper than B&N. The prices I've seen range from $5-10, not bad. It's more expensive than the library unless you pay late fines a lot . Also, the number of books is of course limited - there are mostly newer titles.

Any thoughts?

ramdevil

Wow, that sounds like the most positive review I've heard of the device. Frankly, I'm more of an Audible Book listener these days - when I'm ready to wind down with a good book, it's because I've spent too much of my day staring at tiny words on a screen or page.

But while the thread is here, can I bombard you with questions? Like, why not just carry a paperback instead? Do you find yourself reading so fast that you need to have more than one book available with you at all times? Do you read it at home, or just when mobile? Are you able to back up the purchased books on to a PC, and if so, how many PCs? Can you only read the book file on the hardware? Is the library deep/varied?

I dunno, I love me my gadgets, but I love the beauty of an actual book nearly as much.

answers...

DevilAlumna,

Here are my answers... Carrying a paperback is not too different. However, my house is overflowing with paperbacks, and hardcovers. So maybe the Kindle is more environmentally friendly? And I do read fast. With the Kindle I don't need to go to the bookstore or the library. And, I don't have to wait. It will also be good for traveling. I usually finish a book mid-trip, then end up paying $$$ for a book from the airport - lousy selection. Kindle will change that.

You can back up the books on an SD disk.

I don't know about reading the book elsewhere - not sure what kind of file the book is.

The library is varied - but definitely has more recent titles than older titles. I like Donna Leon, and tried to see if there were any older titles available. Amazon only had recent titles (say, last 5 years). I haven't checked on some of the more literary classics (like Shakespeare, or Thoreau, or Dickens, or Dostoyevsky or....).

The print really does look like text on a page, though.

Hope that helps!

More Questions

I've thought about purchasing a Kindle as well, but was waiting for more reviews...

Is a network connection required at all times? (I do most of my reading while trapped in a NYC subway commute to work with no access to a Sprint cell network.)

Are the books better priced than their non-electronic alternatives on amazon.com?

How about periodicals? (I can't recall the specific magazine, maybe Forbes, but I think I recall seeing the Kindle rate as significantly higher than the "discounted" magazine rate that you often see in online specials.)

Any headaches or eye strain when using the device for long periods?

How vast is the content selection?

Would you be interested in a color version in the future? Would that be worth waiting for?

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Is a network connection required at all times? (I do most of my reading while trapped in a NYC subway commute to work with no access to a Sprint cell network.)
    No

Are the books better priced than their non-electronic alternatives on amazon.com?
    Generally yes, but for some reason they charge you to subscribe to blogs, which you can read for free with the browser anyway.

How about periodicals? (I can't recall the specific magazine, maybe Forbes, but I think I recall seeing the Kindle rate as significantly higher than the "discounted" magazine rate that you often see in online specials.)
    Probably depends on the publication, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more expensive.

Any headaches or eye strain when using the device for long periods?
    From my limited experience with it (maybe ramdevil can answer this better), eInk seems pretty good in terms of reducing eye strain, since it doesn't flicker or have backlight.

How vast is the content selection?
    Like ramdevil mentions, it's more new stuff than old, though I believe classic novels are available at a cheap price, though you should just download these for free (out of copyright) and convert them yourself, if you know how to do this.

Would you be interested in a color version in the future? Would that be worth waiting for?
    Not any time soon. IIRC eInk is still tinkering with color versions, and from what I've been told it's a good 2-3 years away from mass production... not to mention it'll cost a lot more $$$.

The only reason I can see buying this for is if someone figures out a way to remove the EVDO chip and attach it to a laptop via USB. Though at that point I'm sure they'll come up with a way to disable it :-p

eyestrain?

I've not experienced any eyestrain or headaches. You can change the font size if you want. I use the smallest size so more fits on the screen, but I don't have any problems seeing it, even in ~low light.