Heater repair in Raleigh?

The main heating unit in our house is out (the one that heats the first floor). It went out Christmas day (I heard it die late Christmas eve as I was up playing Santa). I need to call someone to repair it ASAP. Anyone have recommendations? The heating unit is only 6 years old so I'm hoping it can be repaired. Since I know very little about HVAC, I'm hoping I can find a company that will repair it as opposed to someone that'll just try to find a way to sell me a new unit. We live in West Raleigh, not far from the airport.

Anybody who comes out will try to sell you something, so be prepared for it. I would try the company who installed it initially, if you know who they are. You should have had them on an annual maintenance contract. It's a comfort thing for me, and it saved me money on more than one occasion. It even gave extra life to my unit. If you can't find out who installed it, ask a neighbor for a recommendation. You might get lucky. Oh, yeah, find out about any surviving warranty. Good luck during this current cold snap.

Scoggins and Company - family run business located in Durham (but serves the Triangle) 382-0534. They are incredibly honest, very reliable, and WILL NOT try to sell you anything you don't need. I've used no one elese for over 10 years - they have installed two complete systems for me (one in an old house I was renovating that had no HVAC system at all (gas space heater in the LR, nothing else) and a replacement system for my cuirrent house as the system failed after 32 years.

I have referred them to many friends and all of my friends experiences with this company have been as positive as mine.

I agree on...

service contract. Ours assures us that if anything goes wrong, they are bound to fix it...and cheaper in the long run. It has saved us a few times.

Thanks for the responses. Allen, I'll give Scroggin's a call and let you know what happens. I am also looking into service contracts. I have had 3 people suggest American Home Shield to cover not just HVAC but also appliances (my washing machine broke the week before Christmas).

Dave

Now that it's hot outside again...I have heat. Thanks again to allenmurray for the pointer to Scoggins and Company. They were great guys to work with and I'm a very happy customer.

Buyer Beware

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Allen, I'll give Scroggin's a call and let you know what happens. I am also looking into service contracts. I have had 3 people suggest American Home Shield to cover not just HVAC but also appliances (my washing machine broke the week before Christmas).

Dave
    For whatever it's worth.... When I bought this house there was an American Home Shield paid for by the seller. When I contacted them for an electrical repair and later a plumbing repair, I found myself dealing with companies who didn't respond very quickly... small companies I'd never heard of. I'm particular about who makes repairs in my home and want good service in a timely fashion.

When I had new HVAC systems put into my home in Durham, I had a service contract with the same company... Comfort Engineers. They do good work and give great service. I wish they were in Winston-Salem!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    For whatever it's worth.... When I bought this house there was an American Home Shield paid for by the seller. When I contacted them for an electrical repair and later a plumbing repair, I found myself dealing with companies who didn't respond very quickly... small companies I'd never heard of. I'm particular about who makes repairs in my home and want good service in a timely fashion.

When I had new HVAC systems put into my home in Durham, I had a service contract with the same company... Comfort Engineers. They do good work and give great service. I wish they were in Winston-Salem!
    Thanks for the feedback, especially about AHS as I have had it referred several times, it's good to hear a bit of how things work when a claim is made. I'll google them tonight and make further inquires. I was talking with my friends at lunch yesterday one of whom has a new house. We joked that he shouldn't get AHS...he should wait about 5 years (right before stuff starts to break) and then get coverage.