Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke MBB vs. Temple Pre-Game & In-Game thread

Place your Temple comments here.
    Bob Green

ok, so i'm pumped for our game tomorrow night, and i do expect Duke to play better on defense and offense and shake off a good bit of the rust evident versus Cornell.

i also look forward to checking out K's coaching moves during this time where we've lost two players in Marty and Zouuuuubek.

i will still contend that IF Duke values the basketball by keeping the turnovers to average or slightly less than average, makes good decisions on shot selection, hits average on all shots from the field and hits average or slightly above average on free throws (PLEASE LORD!), this team can play competitively with any team in America, including, but not limited to: Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Washington State, Georgetown, Memphis, etc., etc., etc..

i'm just sayin'.

dth.

PS Also, it's worth adding that IF Duke is doing all those things i mentioned, or even a majority of them, i'm not worried about rebounding edge going to any competitor out there this year. not one.

who starts?

Temple has a 7' guy on the roster, Sergio Olmos, who's started all 12 games. He's thin, listed at 220. There's also a 6'9" guy, Lavoy Allen, who plays a lot.

With Z out, I'm guessing Lance is back in the starting lineup, and McClure sees a lot of minutes.

You are probably right, but I continue to wait for Lance to do something really, really useful for the team. I would love to see it, but my money (pitifully small though it is) is on McClure. I am just a sucker for a good Scots name (my mother's maiden name was McAdams). Please refrain from attacking my bank account!

Who starts at point?

Agree that's it's like to be either Lance or McClure as another big. But will Paulus or Smith start at point? Or really mix things up and start Scheyer? Their guards are big, and Scheyer may match up a little better. But that seems unlikely. We need either Smith or Paulus in the lineup.

Temple's going to get stomped like a narc at a biker rally.

This one has all the markings of a large Duke performance.

After reading the DBR article on tonight’s game, I took a look at Temple’s schedule, players and stats. Of their six losses, five have been on the road. Seven of their players average over 20 mpg and five of those are perimeter players. From looking at the stats, it appears that they play three guards and two big men. In addition, they are a decent shooting team, don’t block many shots, and only one of their guards/perimeter players has a positive a/to ratio. It appears that they rebound as a team since none of their big men have good rebounding averages. As pointed out in the DBR article, stats don’t tell the whole story but it would appear that they can be pressed and Nelson/Henderson/Singler don’t have to worry about blocked shots close to the basket. In their favor is the fact that they are playing at home and this is the first real road game for the Devils. I expect Temple to try and slow it down and for the Devils to win by about ten.

gw67

Foul Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    After reading the DBR article on tonight’s game, I took a look at Temple’s schedule, players and stats. Of their six losses, five have been on the road. Seven of their players average over 20 mpg and five of those are perimeter players. From looking at the stats, it appears that they play three guards and two big men. In addition, they are a decent shooting team, don’t block many shots, and only one of their guards/perimeter players has a positive a/to ratio. It appears that they rebound as a team since none of their big men have good rebounding averages. As pointed out in the DBR article, stats don’t tell the whole story but it would appear that they can be pressed and Nelson/Henderson/Singler don’t have to worry about blocked shots close to the basket. In their favor is the fact that they are playing at home and this is the first real road game for the Devils. I expect Temple to try and slow it down and for the Devils to win by about ten.

gw67
    We are now a team without depth inside. What we definely can't afford is foul problems for our inside players. Since Singler is really the key guy inside, he will have to be oh so careful about picking up the cheapies. He has had some problems with that this year as many freshmen do, but I don't think Temple is the team to exploit our lack of inside depth.

Christmas is very good. But I'd rather have the opposing star player be a wing instead of a point or post player.

Not to whine about the schedule, but it's worth noting that this is our first road game. I'm curious to see what kind of effect that has.

road games

Often times younger players play more relaxed on the road. The pressure at home can be tougher on younger players. Obviously home games are where you get the motivation and your own fans behind you. But, sometimes the expectations are much greater at home. Of course with Duke the expectations are always greater, as they should be.

Anyone got the scoop on Lance?

I heard respiratory infection

the more I watch Duke play the more I think we need a real big someone they can atleast dump it down low to and facilitate the offense.

1-3 weeks for Z? That's great.

Let's hope this is a harbinger of things to come - Smith and King with productive minutes. I like this very much.

I have said it before, but I really like Smith.

With the exception of missing 2 FT's(I think he was still woozy from being knocked down) I think he has played great. His passing has looked alot better then i remember. Except i thought he passed a little too late to G. Henderson on the break away.

Im glad he is earning his minutes.

I think King needs to play more in the second half. He is shooting 100% and Schyer has hit only 1 shot. What has happened to Schyer's O, he is struggling. I think he needs to sit more this half. We need to spread the court more and kick out for the 3. Nolan is showing great signs of leading this team. Missing Big Z and LT tonight.

I say NAY, Scheyer plays!

Quote Originally Posted by dukebballcamper90-91 View Post
    I think King needs to play more in the second half. He is shooting 100% and Schyer has hit only 1 shot. What has happened to Schyer's O, he is struggling. I think he needs to sit more this half. We need to spread the court more and kick out for the 3. Nolan is showing great signs of leading this team. Missing Big Z and LT tonight.
    Sitting Scheyer isn't going to revive his offense. Nope, keep him on the floor. Good things happen when he's out there even if he's not scoring. Its a karma thing.

Quote Originally Posted by beach rev View Post
    Let's hope this is a harbinger of things to come - Smith and King with productive minutes. I like this very much.
    Ditto, plus David is getting some extended time. I think a lot of us (myself) keep forgetting how important he was last year.

Quote Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post
    Sitting Scheyer isn't going to revive his offense. Nope, keep him on the floor. Good things happen when he's out there even if he's not scoring. Its a karma thing.
    That is what most people do and think. I thinking try the opposite for once, go against the grain. He does bring a lot of other things I like, like his ball awareness.