Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lindsey Harding

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    IIRC when her suspension was announced it was made clear that she had violated no university or NCAA rules, but had violated internal team rules. If my memory is correct, and no university or NCAA rules were violated, than I think it is appropraite that this incident, whatever it was, remain between her, her team mates, and her coaches.
    I agree. Clearly, whatever Lindsey did was serious, but that does not mean that we, as fans or even donors to the university, are in any way entitled to that information. She also came back from it a better leader and player, and the people who are privy to the details obviously feel that her accomplishments are not overshadowed by that transgression.

I hope that no matter how much money anyone donates, the university doesn't feel that a donation should change its policy on student confidentiality.

Violations of the law are a matter of public record, therefore things like Hurley's drunk driving arrest are in the public domain. Violations of NCAA rules are a matter of public record through an agreement between the NCAA and its member institutions, therefore incidents like the Maggette issue are in the public domain. Violations of university rules and/or team rules are subject to a number of laws protecting the confidentiality of students.

Whatever Harding did (or didn't) do never rose to the level of an NCAA or legal violation. Therefore, if the university disclosed this information it would be in violation of a number of laws. In addition, it would have been acting in a way that went against the best interest of one if its students (if they though it was in her best interest to release details they would have already sone so) in order to satisfy the curiosity of one of its alumni/donors.

hey i'm not trying to play any "i donate blahblah amount" game with the university. i donate little now and that will now stop. if the university wants to keep its little black secrets so be it, but i will not support them.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Don't we already have someone in the rafters who did this?
    Or was at least connected, I don't remember what the final decision was.
    He was exonerated of any wrongdoing whatsoever and was never found to have smoked pot.

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/m...-1463756.shtml
    Article is by Mike Corey, incidentally...

The first image that comes to my mind when I think of Lindsey is the hug between her and the mentally challenged child. That and the story surrounding this relationship tells me all I need to know about her character.

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody View Post
    hey i'm not trying to play any "i donate blahblah amount" game with the university. i donate little now and that will now stop. if the university wants to keep its little black secrets so be it, but i will not support them.
    Yeah, who needs FERPA and the Buckly amendment anyway?!

Money makes the world go 'round...you? You think that with your donation you're paying for access to confidential information? Honestly, I don't understand this. If you don't care for what the university is doing with the funds you give them, by all means stop donating, but you seem to have a wildly distorted view of what exactly you're entitled to for those dollars.

Yeah, who needs FERPA and the Buckly amendment anyway?!
    i had to look those up but i do not think that applies to whether a student should receive an award for what they accomplished as a duke basketball player. it means i can't go up to the university and look into her records.

as i stated earlier , from what i've seen and read about lindsey, she deserves the recognition. i just disagree with honoring someone who was suspended for a year without explanation. just my opinion and from what i'm reading here i guess i'm about the only one who cares about it.

If what I was told by sources close to the situation is correct, the suspension was certainly warranted and IMO, it should preclude Harding from having her jersey retired. Lindsey entered Duke the same year I did and having attended 95% of the home games as well as a handful of away games during her career, I have tremendous respect for her ability on the court as well as 99% of her actions off the court. Personally, my opinion regarding retired jerseys (& banners) is the opposite of what seems to be held down 15-501. I feel like the rafters belong to only the absolute best, on and off the court, and unfortunately, a bad decision keeps Lindsey from that distinction in my mind. That will not stop me from applauding Lindsey Saturday. She has still done some tremendous things for this community and for Duke Womens basketball, all of which deserve recognition.

i had to look those up but i do not think that applies to whether a student should receive an award for what they accomplished as a duke basketball player. it means i can't go up to the university and look into her records.

as i stated earlier , from what i've seen and read about lindsey, she deserves the recognition. i just disagree with honoring someone who was suspended for a year without explanation. just my opinion and from what i'm reading here i guess i'm about the only one who cares about it.
    You are correct - it doesn't apply to whether she should receive an award. But it goes well beyond you not going to the university to look up her records. It prevents the university from releasing information about a student.

IIRC when her suspension was announced it was made clear that she had violated no university or NCAA rules, but had violated internal team rules. If my memory is correct, and no university or NCAA rules were violated, than I think it is appropraite that this incident, whatever it was, remain between her, her team mates, and her coaches.
    You are correct, and this is the basis for my "Its no ones business but hers and the teams. it needs not be made public" comment.

It happened in-house and it was dealt with in-house.

I don't have any quarrel with feeling that the suspension should make her ineligible for jersey retirement. It does concern me somewhat, but I also feel that since the decision has already been made, I will support her. It was the IMO bizarre assertion that being an alumnus or donor should make one privy to information that's not been publicly released for good reason that I took issue with. Many of us as fans tend to develop an over-inflated sense of our importance in the scheme of things.

You are correct - it doesn't apply to whether she should receive an award. But it goes well beyond you not going to the university to look up her records. It prevents the university from releasing information about a student.
    only without the student's consent.

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
    It was the IMO bizarre assertion that being an alumnus or donor should make one privy to information that's not been publicly released for good reason that I took issue with. Many of us as fans tend to develop an over-inflated sense of our importance in the scheme of things.
    that's your bizarre misinterpretation of what i said. i have no over inflated sense of importance at all. i just have a problem with retiring a jersey of a player suspended for an entire year without explanation. as a duke graduate, what the university does with its honors does concern me. it reflects on how others perceive my alma mater and thereby the public's perceived worth of the degree i obtained.

only without the student's consent.
    I've dealt with FERPA and student confidentiality on a professional basis quite a bit. I can tell you it is far more complicated than you think. Whatever the incident was, if there were other students involved they would have to consent as well. If there were faculty/staff involved they would have rights regarding confidentiality (under employee law, not under FERPA). Even if everyone consented the university could still choose to not reveal information because of its own potential liability.

Sometime you simply have to say to yourself, "This athletic department (save the lacrosse incident) has comported itself incredibly well over the years. No serious scandals, high graduation rates, good students who are good people, coaches who play by the rules, etc. I'm not entitled to know everything about everybody. I'll just have to trust that they are doing the right thing."

Sometime you simply have to say to yourself, "This athletic department (save the lacrosse incident) has comported itself incredibly well over the years. No serious scandals, high graduation rates, good students who are good people, coaches who play by the rules, etc. I'm not entitled to know everything about everybody. I'll just have to trust that they are doing the right thing."
    i'd like to, but baseball and lacrosse, as well as an AD who likes to get drunk and wreck his boat, have taken nearly all my trust in the athletic dept. away. maybe their ideas of integrity aren't what mine are? i guess i'll never know.

thanks for some more insight on ferpa. while i agree with its intentions i'm not so certain i agree with its outcome.

that's your bizarre misinterpretation of what i said. i have no over inflated sense of importance at all.
    Oh? Here are your own words:

well if it's none of my business then i guess my donations are none of their business.
    as a duke grad and iron duke i do feel i deserve to know why we are retiring a player's jersey if the player was suspended for an entire year.
    i donate little now and that will now stop. if the university wants to keep its little black secrets so be it, but i will not support them.
    I certainly don't see how my interpretation is so off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
    I certainly don't see how my interpretation is so off the mark.
    interpret away, but you are wrong. i just expect accountability of our athletes as representatives of our university. i'm sorry i'm just not buying the "trust the athletic dept on this" argument. they've lost my trust. if y'all want to turn my complaint on its head and say i've been out of line and am trying to skirt ferpa or whatever go at it. that is not my complaint nor my argument, but merely deflects the discussion away from what i said to start: i think it looks bad to retire her jersey with this hanging around unexplained. it's not like i'm unable to forgive an indiscretion but to retire a jersey under these circumstances is concerning to me, and i guess maybe two other posters on this list. that is all from me. congrats lindsey.

I belive the reference above to a retired jersey with past suspension history would refer to the original #10, retired May 1, 1952.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

What was that?

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    I belive the reference above to a retired jersey with past suspension history would refer to the original #10, retired May 1, 1952.
    Are you referring to Dick Groat?

Yes. He was suspended from school for academic reasons. Most people don't know that.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa