Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
Somehow the conversations about types of fans and the games last night remind me of conversations about political candidates these days... similar elements. Somewhere in all the analysis and scrutiny the joy and excitement of college sports in the truest sense seems lost. I'll try to remember that when I watch LSU and Ohio State this evening!
DITBD, hit it on the money. Though she may not have even intended to. Jason can call me or any ABCer NOT a true Duke fan. It bothers me not. Just as some would say any TRUE Duke fan would never pull for UNC in non ACC games particularly in the NCAA's. But many do.

DITBD is sooo right when she compares it to politics and that was what my whole point was about. It's all relavite to perspective and a lot of people haven't figured it out yet. The Clinton camp wasn't happy after Iowa, but their next game in New Hampshire the Obama team may lose in a blow out. If candidate A is someone you think would do the country more harm than good and you think candidate B is going to do their best to help the country you pull for A and against B. At the same time another contingent may think B is the best and A is an idiot.

I was simply admitting to myself and anyone who chose to read that I (we) should enjoy the victories Duke gets more than we do. And most any other school that has achieved what Duke has would. But we are in the unfortunate situation of looking a couple miles west. Both schools and fans are playing a game of keeping up with the Joneses and taking very little time to stop and smell the roses of their sucess. I guess the problem is given proxemity and familiarity, ones success often is cause / effect of the others failure. It's no different that the Cowboys competing against the Redskins to be top dog, or Yankees trying to keep the Red Sox down. I guess their hatred for one another means they aren't true fans either.

Finally I have always and still think the success of either school or magic of the rivalry is contingent on both teams success. While they go head to head against each other in recruiting, it's a simple fact the more they win the harder it is for Duke to recruit and visa versa. Given the fact that in recruiting Duke can knock 40-50 potential players off their wish list due to academics alone. That in itself gives UNC an edge (that I never want Duke to lower their standards to attain) and a larger pool to sellect from. Everything is stacked against Duke and yet they have competed very, very well over the last 25 years.

Yes people can be one of two or even three categories. But I dare say most fall mainly into one. And yes we can't help respect UNC, their program is crammed down our throats and flaunted in our faces. I think it's the attitude they always have been the best, are the best and always will be the best that makes ABCers want them taken down several notches.