Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: the 'cuse

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    the 'cuse

    ya think boeheim is going to add some real games to his out of conference schedule next year that take the 'cuse out of the state of new york?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    With their win over UCLA, I thought WVU had the better case of the two BE snubs. NIT seeding committee agrees: WVU a #1, Syracuse a #2.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dillon, Colorado
    you can't spell "sorry excuse" without "cuse"
    As suburban children we floated at night in swimming pools the temperature of blood. -- Douglas Coupland

  4. #4
    Even though they played a pretty weak schedule. I felt they should of been in.

    I think alot of it has to do with the fact they had a weak OOC. They struggled early in the season. They looked NIT bound at the beginning..

    But I think their last 8 games they raelly picked it up, winning 6 of those and 1 against G-town! I am happy to see a few of my New York buddies crying though... Mainly because they are fair weathered fans.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post
    Even though they played a pretty weak schedule. I felt they should of been in.

    I think alot of it has to do with the fact they had a weak OOC. They struggled early in the season. They looked NIT bound at the beginning..

    But I think their last 8 games they raelly picked it up, winning 6 of those and 1 against G-town! I am happy to see a few of my New York buddies crying though... Mainly because they are fair weathered fans.
    i think that it is great that the committee finally said enough is enough with syracuse's embarrassing ooc schedule. the only time that they ventured away from the carrier done was to #247 canisius. the also had 3 losses to 100+ teams. rubbing salt in their wounds, they didn't even get a 1 seed in the nit. when do teams have to officially accept or reject an nit bid?

  6. #6

    OOC strength versus total strength

    I think the focus should be on total strength of schedule not OOC strength

    I don't understand the focus on winning on the road. A win is a win...I don't care if you go 8-8 in the conference by going 8-0 at home and 0-8 on the road or 4-4 at each.

    I didn't hear any conversations about good losses...(ie. playing a top 10 team tough)...I seem to remember hearing that more

    I think FSU should schedule some MVC teams next year. Will probably help their RPI since the MVC teams generally have a high relative RPI and it will be tougher to pick a mid major over a middle of the pack BCS team if they went down and beat the mid majors. Note: this year only 6 mid-majors were at large, but it would be easier to argue for a FSU over an MVC team if they went and beat them..of course if they lose

    I would like to see Vitale and Bilas and all the talking heads fill out a bracket before the selection show

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dillon, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    i think that it is great that the committee finally said enough is enough with syracuse's embarrassing ooc schedule. the only time that they ventured away from the carrier done was to #247 canisius. the also had 3 losses to 100+ teams. rubbing salt in their wounds, they didn't even get a 1 seed in the nit. when do teams have to officially accept or reject an nit bid?
    Usually when teams reject the Nit, it's for semi-legitimate travel and expense reasons.

    What about uconn? Did they reject the Nit, or did the Nit reject them?
    As suburban children we floated at night in swimming pools the temperature of blood. -- Douglas Coupland

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kexman View Post
    I think the focus should be on total strength of schedule not OOC strength

    I don't understand the focus on winning on the road. A win is a win...I don't care if you go 8-8 in the conference by going 8-0 at home and 0-8 on the road or 4-4 at each.

    I didn't hear any conversations about good losses...(ie. playing a top 10 team tough)...I seem to remember hearing that more

    I think FSU should schedule some MVC teams next year. Will probably help their RPI since the MVC teams generally have a high relative RPI and it will be tougher to pick a mid major over a middle of the pack BCS team if they went down and beat the mid majors. Note: this year only 6 mid-majors were at large, but it would be easier to argue for a FSU over an MVC team if they went and beat them..of course if they lose

    I would like to see Vitale and Bilas and all the talking heads fill out a bracket before the selection show
    there is an emphasis on road wins because they are so much harder to come by than home wins. ok st didn't even have a single road win this year. i agree that ooc strength gets too much of an emphasis. why should marquette's win against duke count more than any of the wins against duke by acc schools? this stat de jour of ooc strength plays into the hands of the mid majors because it is a lot easier to schedule several tough ooc games if you know that you will be able to have a lot of breathers in jan and feb. the acc this year didn't give anyone any breathers. i think that fsu is going to throw their hands up in the air because last year they were told that they didn't get in because of a bad ooc. this year they addressed that and even got a win against florida and still were stiffed. i think that their complete choke against bc when they fouled dudley shooting a 3 ultimately cost them a bid.

  9. #9

    Hmm

    I just felt they should of been in before Illinois was in.

    The Illini had one win against the Top-25(Indiana). I would of put The Cuse ahead of Illini. But as someone else said, WVU ahead of the Cuse.

    Someone please explain(Im not the smartest man alive) why Illini got in over WVU?

  10. #10
    Why is Arkansas, at 7-9 in the SEC, more deserving than... well, anybody? I think their best win all year may be Vandy.

    I'm still scratching my head at Stanford. The committee chair mentioned the difficulty in selecting teams given the fact that over 100 teams won 20 or more games this season. So what do they do? Let's give an at-large bid to a team that is 18-12 overall. Stanford also lost 7 of their last 11 games. Sure, they played some tough games OOC (lost to Air Force by 30+), but you have to win some of those games. I guess beating UCLA in January will do wonders for your resume.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    I can't figure out what Arkansas' bid is based on other than the SECT run.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post

    Someone please explain(Im not the smartest man alive) why Illini got in over WVU?
    I might be a little biased (UI BS '95), but the following stats seem to decisively favor the Illini.

    Final RPI:
    Illinois 29
    West Virginia 57

    Non-Conf RPI:
    Illinois 29
    West Virginia 58

    Conference RPI:
    Illinois 50
    West Virginia 64

    Strength of Schedule:
    Illinois 24
    West Virginia 99

    Road/Neutral:
    Illinois 9-8
    West Virginia 8-8

    Last 10 Games:
    Illinois 7-3
    West Virginia 5-5

    vs. Top 100 RPI:
    Illinois 8-11
    West Virginia 5-8

    vs. Top 100+ RPI:
    Illinois 15-0
    West Virginia 16-1

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    I was going to start another thread but I'll just place my thoughts here.

    **Warning, Conspiracy Theory Alert**

    Do you think that the ownership of the NIT by the NCAA has anything to do with this? I think we are all scratching our heads about the choices made regarding Illinois and Arkansas. Look at the NIT field and you'll see some big names from big conferences. I really have to wonder why Air Force, Florida State, Clemson and Syracuse are all in the NIT and those previously mentioned teams are in the Big Dance. Is the NCAA trying to provide a better product by slipping a few teams into the NIT that should have been in the NCAAs? While watching the committee chairman on ESPN yesterday I wasn't surprised by the non answers that he gave regarding their selections. After hearing that interview and then hearing the NIT chairman’s answers it was clear to me that there may be something fishy going on.

    Think about the BILLIONS of dollars that are being earned by the NCAA Tournament. Do you think this would motivate the NCAA to sweeten the NIT pot? Do you? Huh? Do you think?

    **This concludes Chard’s Conspiracy Theory Alert**

    I can’t complain too much about this because all of these teams determine their own fate. Win games against good teams and you are going to be dancing in the big ball. I know that teams like FSU tried to accomplish what they were accused of not accomplishing last year but they had their chances. I’m totally against expanding the field at least for another 20 or more years.

  14. #14

    My conspiracy theory

    I wonder if all the b*tching Boeheim has done over the last year has a negative impact on the way his team was viewed.

    Personally, I doubt it. I like to think that the guys running the tournament selection are bigger than that and have no evidence otherwise. But that was one of the first things that popped into my head when the Cuse didn't make it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    **Warning, Conspiracy Theory Alert**
    I don't think overall that the NIT (now brought to you by the NCAA) caused more big conference teams on the bubble to be left out to stir up more interest in their product. They could have included Washington, Iowa, or even UConn in the NIT field were this the case.

    However, I agree that the specific case of Syracuse may be a bit fishy. As UConn continued its freefall out of the NIT , the NIT/NCAA may have wanted a team that would guarantee big crowds at the Garden should they make it to the semis. This could explain how Syracuse was left out despite the fact that every bracket projection that I saw had them at least 4-6 spots safely above the bubble. Hmmmm.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dillon, Colorado
    Andy Katz reported Arkansas' bid was being saved for NC State if the Pack had beaten carolina. Not Arky's exact slot, mind you, just its bid. I can't see an easy way to juggle all the ACC teams around in the ultimate bracket given an Ncsu automatic bid, a unc loss, and no Arky. So the committee must have had two different brackets set up.

    Which raises two questions: (1) Why did the committee make things so hard on itself? It would have been easier to make the last slot Fsu/Ncsu instead; then you can just pencil in "Last ACC Team" without worring about the bracketing rules with two different conferences. (2) What if Arkansas and Ncsu had BOTH won? You can't just bump Illinois off and stick in Arky or Ncsu because both VPI and Ky are both in Illinois' prong AAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!
    As suburban children we floated at night in swimming pools the temperature of blood. -- Douglas Coupland

  17. #17
    I won't lose any sleep over the exclusion Syracuse. I am more than a little troubled by FSU though.

Similar Threads

  1. 'Cuse in trouble
    By dukemsu in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2007, 12:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •