Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

American Idol Anyone?

I am remaining cautiously optimistic but so far I am not overwhelmed by anyone and find myself in the easy-to-bail-on-the-show position of not really rooting for anyone that hard. If I had to pick my favorites so far, I'd say Chris Sligh and Blake Lewis on the men's side and Gina Glocksen and Jordin Sparks on the women's side. I know Lakisha and Melinda were both outstanding in the auditions and in week 1, but as talented as they are I don't know how versatile they are and I feel like I've seen it before. That being said, both have great personal stories and "likability" which should carry them far.

I watched all of the audition rounds and have to say I am surprised that a few people didn't make it to the top 24, including Jory Steinberg and the guy Tommy who was the last cut against Sundance. I also feel like there is always going to be the problem of the finalists who did not get enough air time during the audition rounds and Hollwood round. Some of the Top 24, like A.J., Rudy, Nicole Tranquilo and Amy Krebs just kind of appeared out of nowhere - and it's not surprising that three of them were cut in week one.

For me, the highlight of the season so far was the men's group performance that included Blake's beat boxing - that was outstanding.

I am looking forward to seeing the top 20 for a second time and also seeing if any of the men step up and make a statement, because right now the men's field is wide open. On the women's side, I would say that Lakisha, Melinda, Stephanie, Jordin, and Gina look good for the top 6 women with maybe Sabrina and Haley fighting for the last spot. I know it's early - just first impressions.

I think that the editors have an idea of which people who make it into the top 24 have a lesser chance of making it to the top 12 and choose to show less of them. I know that it was hard to argue with the people booted off the first week, as they all put in bad/boring performances. I think that it is still too early to choose favorites, though, as we just haven't seen enough of the contestants and are basically choosing the ones which the show wants us to choose, such as Sligh. I'm guessing that a woman is going to win it again this year, though.

For Me

I like about 6 of the gals better than any of the guys.

I think that Lakisha and Melinda are great and really like Stephanie and Gina.

Fun show.

At this point there are only five people left that I look forward to seeing - and I believe that they are destined to be the final five unless someone else makes a major leap forward during the next few weeks. Not necessarily in order:

1. Jordin
    2. Blake
    3. Chris S.
    4. Lakisha
    5. Melinda

To me, Blake has been the most entertaining, unique and refreshing. I loved Jordin last night, and I still feel like I've seen Lakisha and Melinda before - meaning they just don't seem that unique to me, although they are both obvioulsy outstanding being great singers.

I don't see what the judges are seeing in Chris R. and I think Haley is better than the judges are giving her credit for - I'd like to see her make it into the top 12 although I think it's unlikely.

I see Antonella, Haley, Sanjaya and Jared getting cut tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I see Antonella, Haley, Sanjaya and Jared getting cut tonight.
    You, me, Simon, Paula and Randy. Inexplicably, though, not the rest of the country. Sabrina gone? Sabrina? And Sundance ousted over Sanjaya? Simply bizarre.

Conspiracty Theory

Do any of you think that there is a chance that American Idol is actually controlling who moves on and that the votes are not even really coutned. I have thought this and I think they intentionally start some type of controversy to get higher ratings. Anybody think this a possibility or am I way off? Like Sanjaya....should have been gone after the first week....he is terrible.

it's tempting to think that ...

... when someone like Sanjaya makes it over Sundance but they could never risk something like that becoming public? I think the best explanation is that there is the same phenomenon that people talk about in Heisman trophy voting or MVP (baseball) voting in terms of splitting the vote.

Someone like Sabrina doesn't have a lot of supporters even though she is talented. She is singing in the same genre as Stephanie and Jordin and she didn't do as much to distinguish herself. So all the fans of that style are probably voting for the other two more. Or they are voting for Lakisha or Melinda who are just so talented. Compare her to Haley who is singing in more of a pop - top 40 - adult contemporary style (as opposed to Hip Hop/R&B) and the others who were doing the same as Haley (Amy, Nicole and Leslie) have already been voted out. So Haley is getting all of that "bloc". Even so, as I wrote above, I happen to think Haley is better than the judges have given her credit for so far. It would be like having one Heisman candidate from Oklahoma and one from Nebraska splitting the Southwest vote while a candidate from USC is getting the entire West vote, if that makes sense. For that reason, I kind of think the final two will be either Lakisha OR Melinda and Blake -- because Lakish and Melinda are singing in the same style and Blake has a much more unique style. Two seasons ago, it was Bo (southern rocker) and Carrie (southern country).

Also, with someone like Sanjaya, I think there are just lots of people out there who are voting for the worst singer to kind of mess with the competition. I mean, there is a web site that has been out there called votefortheworst.com, which has been encouraging people to vote for Sanjaya and Antonella. I'm kind of surprised Antonella didn't make it over Haley for that reason (not to mention the media circus). Plus he's got the cute teenager puppy dog thing going for him - in much the same way Kevin did last season. I don't think Sabrina had a chance to win the competition anyway, but I really thought Sundance was a dark horse because when singing the right songs, he is as good as anyone left.

I am predicting Melinda, Blake, Chris and Lakisha to be the final four (in that order) with Jordin #5 and the only one who I think could crack the top four.

Good Points

Yeah, you might be right. I think that a lot of people vote for the worst too just to mess up the competition.

Cool Where are the clowns? Send in the clowns. Don't bother, they're here.

I understand that they had about 36 million votes cast for last night's show. That's not a whole lot of people when you consider that each voter probably votes for more than one, and/or votes multiple times for the same contestant. Just a guess, but I'd say that no more than 3,500,000 people voted. Is that even a fair sample of the viewing public? My wife watches the show without fail, or records it, but she hasn't voted since the first year. If she is typical that would seem to indicate that hype is a factor, but then maybe not. Some of the winners and other contestants have had a big impact on the entertainment business -- with huge record sales and awards. Conclusion? The people that run the show know talent when they see it, but it is more fun for them to ridicule these kids before they get down to business.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    Yeah, you might be right. I think that a lot of people vote for the worst too just to mess up the competition.
    I think that early in the competition, when there are so many people to divide the votes among, it is easier for "vote-for-the-worst" people to prop someone up. But, as there get to be fewer contestants, there simply aren't enough vote-for-the-worst people out there to keep the bad ones around.

It is also worth noting that one of the things that makes Idol interesting to the masses is seeing the bad folks go farther in the competition than we expect. If the best always made it through, it would not be as much fun

-Jason "remember that red-head kid from a couple years ago-- wow, did he suck!" Evans

A couple of thoughts:

- After Sabrina got voted off, I'm probably done for the season. Kinda invalidates it the rest of the way.

- Although I can usually believe that the votes are actually counted, I also think that the producers pick the first group based on some seriously biased criteria. I mean, do you really think that all across America they came out with the 12 best choices for guys? I mean almost all of the women are better than the best of the guys. Does anyone notice a trend in all the better singers available for voting?

2 guys and 2 girls

By the way, like most of you I think there are only 2 guys who are worth a damn. Blake is unique and his beatboxing can make any song fun. Plus, he actually has a good voice to go with it. I like Chris S's pipes and think his funky ahir may help for a while, though I suspect he will never get the teenybopper vote he needs to go all the way.

There are more girls who are good but clearly Melinda and Lakisha are a step above all of them. I am not convinced that either of them really have the personality to capture the audience though, which is why I give Blake a shot at beating them for the title. I think everyone recognizes they have great voices but I am not sure people will fall in love with them enough to fanatically vote and get them over the top.

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    ... when someone like Sanjaya makes it over Sundance but they could never risk something like that becoming public? I think the best explanation is that there is the same phenomenon that people talk about in Heisman trophy voting or MVP (baseball) voting in terms of splitting the vote.

Someone like Sabrina doesn't have a lot of supporters even though she is talented. She is singing in the same genre as Stephanie and Jordin and she didn't do as much to distinguish herself. So all the fans of that style are probably voting for the other two more. Or they are voting for Lakisha or Melinda who are just so talented. Compare her to Haley who is singing in more of a pop - top 40 - adult contemporary style (as opposed to Hip Hop/R&B) and the others who were doing the same as Haley (Amy, Nicole and Leslie) have already been voted out. So Haley is getting all of that "bloc". Even so, as I wrote above, I happen to think Haley is better than the judges have given her credit for so far. It would be like having one Heisman candidate from Oklahoma and one from Nebraska splitting the Southwest vote while a candidate from USC is getting the entire West vote, if that makes sense. For that reason, I kind of think the final two will be either Lakisha OR Melinda and Blake -- because Lakish and Melinda are singing in the same style and Blake has a much more unique style. Two seasons ago, it was Bo (southern rocker) and Carrie (southern country).

Also, with someone like Sanjaya, I think there are just lots of people out there who are voting for the worst singer to kind of mess with the competition. I mean, there is a web site that has been out there called votefortheworst.com, which has been encouraging people to vote for Sanjaya and Antonella. I'm kind of surprised Antonella didn't make it over Haley for that reason (not to mention the media circus). Plus he's got the cute teenager puppy dog thing going for him - in much the same way Kevin did last season. I don't think Sabrina had a chance to win the competition anyway, but I really thought Sundance was a dark horse because when singing the right songs, he is as good as anyone left.

I am predicting Melinda, Blake, Chris and Lakisha to be the final four (in that order) with Jordin #5 and the only one who I think could crack the top four.
    I would actually put Lakisha first, as she is an excellent singer (as is Melinda, and Chris and Blake are nowhere near as good), and she doesn't have what is becoming the increasingly annoying habit of looking too bashful all that time. Blake is fun, but he's not a great singer.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    I would actually put Lakisha first, as she is an excellent singer (as is Melinda, and Chris and Blake are nowhere near as good), and she doesn't have what is becoming the increasingly annoying habit of looking too bashful all that time. Blake is fun, but he's not a great singer.
    I 100% agree on that whole bashful, aw shucks, really you like me? thing. It irritates me and is the main reason I don't want to see her win, as unfair as that may seem.

Sanjaya

My theory is that he is getting the teen age and pre teen age girl vote, and that his fans are voting many times over.

It will be interesting to see if he is even in the bottom 3 this week.

I can watch and read at the same time as there are only a few that I care about and think I need to watch.

SoCal