Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Red Shirt

I don't believe that TP gets on the field next year. People talk about what an amazing player he is, but that is not the case, AT ALL. He is a supremely gifted athlete, but his skills are raw.

This kid played at a low level school in PA. They won the state title, but a single Div 1 player at that level can usually deliver greatness without turning a sweat.

He had some rediculous games. He might play 2.5 quarters, run the ball 8 times for 200+ yards, and throw 8 times for 300+ yards. Imagine plopping Lebron James into a Middle school game, and you get the drift.

Since he was not in school for Spring Football, his learning curve will be through the roof. The worst players he faces in the big 10 are worlds better than the best kids he saw in HS, only now there is an entire team of them.

I say he barely plays next year, if at all. RS much more likely.

PatZorro

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Army All American game

Quote Originally Posted by PatZorro View Post
    I don't believe that TP gets on the field next year. People talk about what an amazing player he is, but that is not the case, AT ALL. He is a supremely gifted athlete, but his skills are raw.

This kid played at a low level school in PA. They won the state title, but a single Div 1 player at that level can usually deliver greatness without turning a sweat.

He had some rediculous games. He might play 2.5 quarters, run the ball 8 times for 200+ yards, and throw 8 times for 300+ yards. Imagine plopping Lebron James into a Middle school game, and you get the drift.

Since he was not in school for Spring Football, his learning curve will be through the roof. The worst players he faces in the big 10 are worlds better than the best kids he saw in HS, only now there is an entire team of them.

PatZorro

Did you see him in the Army All american game? Granted its an All star game but he was head and shoulders above the best. I've watched those games the last couple of years and for the most part all the guys blend together but not TP, he was that good. As to whether he plays next or not, probably comes down to what he was promised by Tressell. I'm not sure you coach too much of what he brings to the table. You need a first down, he gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

There was the Florida FB QB who went from high school into pro baseball for several years and was able to then play football in college, without scholarship, because he had never enrolled before turning pro.
    That was Chris Weinke, who won the 2000 Heisman Trophey and went on to play for the Charlotte Panthers for several years.
    http://www.canadianbaseballnews.com/.../ChrisWei.html
    He mostly was a backup, and didn't do too well when he got the chance to start after Collins left.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    That was Chris Weinke, who won the 2000 Heisman Trophey and went on to play for the Charlotte Panthers for several years.
    http://www.canadianbaseballnews.com/.../ChrisWei.html
    He mostly was a backup, and didn't do too well when he got the chance to start after Collins left.
    IIRC, he also holds the distinction of being the oldest and baldest Heisman winner ever.

Quote Originally Posted by PatZorro View Post

PatZorro
    Would you like to make a friendly wager that Pryor does not redshirt?

I agree...

with Mike Corey (except that I think that Todd Boeckman is actually in year #6 having "gray-shirted" one year) and Class of 06 that Pryor will see playing time especially in field situations where his talents can be exploited. I don't think that he will be given much opportunity to make too many mistakes in crucial situations.

For the record, Art Schlichter's first start came against Penn State and OSU was shut out 18-0 in that game and the Buckeyes languished in what turned out to be Woody Hayes' last season. The next year, Schlichter helped guide OSU to the brink of a national championship losing 17-16 against USC in the Rose Bowl in the waning moments of the game-not that this is an OSU football board, but I digress.

As a Buckeye football fan, I am just satisfied that Rich Rod didn't get him to go to Michigan.