Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

Duke MBB vs. Cornell Pre-Game and In--Game Thread

Post your pre-game and in-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Cornell

I can't believe they can offer much of a game. I guess it is a good one to play after so much time off. Good to get a couple of easier games in before the conference play begins.

Strength vs. Strength

I expect Duke to win handily over Cornell. That being said, the game is an interesting match-up because, like Duke, Cornell is a guard/wing oriented team, which prefers an uptempo game. Cornell is averaging 78+ points per game, their leading scorer is 6'6" F/G Ryan Whitman (i.e. wing), they start a 6'7" forward, but they bring a 7'0" guy off the bench (though he is skinny) for double-digit minutes per game. Cornell is a good 3-point shooting team - 42.9% (93/217) for the season which is right where Duke is - 42.3% (105/248) for the season. If the game is close late, Cornell is a better free throw shooting team - 74.9% to Duke's 67.9%. This is a game we should dominate, but I'm sure Cornell will show up with their "A" Game. It should be interesting.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 01-04-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Add 3-point & FT stats
    Bob Green

Watch out for falling RPIs!

Sunday Night Hoops in HD!

is it actually going to BE in HD?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    is it actually going to BE in HD?
    Yes. The FSNHD channel (848 here) is off the air unless the program is HD. I believe Sunday Night Hoops has been HD for some time.

Did I tell you guys about the time my boys went down to Kentucky . . . . Go Big Red!

greybeard

greybeard, just out of curiosity, are you a Duke and Cornell fan that rots for both teams but goes for Cornell when the two go head to head or are you just a Cornell fan but you come here for the overall good basketball discussion? And did you grow up rooting for one and attend the other, attend both, or just randomly root for both.

Not trying to call you out or anything, I just know a kid who was a die hard Duke fan but went to Cornell and doesn't care for Cornell sports at all and is still a complete Duke fan so I'm just wondering if he's in the same boat as you.

"I went to Cornell...you ever heard of it?"

-- Andy Bernard, "The Office"

Wouldn't be surprised if the line monitors referenced this quote on the tip sheet for the student section. I'll be disappointed with anything less than a major victory. Come on...it's the Ivy League.

I went to Cornell. When I was there, 64 to 68, they had terrific teams; I had a cup of coffee my freshman year before I seriously blew out what was my good knee, and played with a lot of the Cornell players during my time there.

Since graduating, I root for Cornell when a game in any sport comes to my attention, which is extremely, extremely rare. Last year's LAX team obviously caught my eye. I was at the game in Baltimore, rooted for the Big Red, but found myself cheering every goal the final quarter and was happy as a fan when Duke won, if that makes any sense. (big supporter of the LAX team throughout the hoax.)

I got to DBR because a friend pointed me to an article about a guy I used to play ball with in the summers a million years ago; he wasn't half bad and was a funny and nice kid, if he was the one I'm thinking of, rather than his brother (only kidding, his brother was much better; he used to say so all the time; too bad I couldn't tell which one was which.) Liked what I saw on DBR and stayed.

Have been a tremendous fan and follower of K's from the start. Have been a Duke fan since, but not an ardent one by a Dukie's standards. I live in DC, really liked the Lefthander and rooted for his teams when he and K overlapped; liked and rooted for a few of Gary's teams, and am as in the bag for JT III as I am for K, and have rooted for Georgetown in their two face-to-faces.

I hope that that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sandman View Post
    "I went to Cornell...you ever heard of it?"

-- Andy Bernard, "The Office"

Wouldn't be surprised if the line monitors referenced this quote on the tip sheet for the student section. I'll be disappointed with anything less than a major victory. Come on...it's the Ivy League.
    tell that to Michigan..

ATTA BOY TOMMY

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I expect Duke to win handily over Cornell. That being said, the game is an interesting match-up because, like Duke, Cornell is a guard/wing oriented team, which prefers an uptempo game. Cornell is averaging 78+ points per game, their leading scorer is 6'6" F/G Ryan Whitman (i.e. wing), they start a 6'7" forward, but they bring a 7'0" guy off the bench (though he is skinny) for double-digit minutes per game. Cornell is a good 3-point shooting team - 42.9% (93/217) for the season which is right where Duke is - 42.3% (105/248) for the season. If the game is close late, Cornell is a better free throw shooting team - 74.9% to Duke's 67.9%. This is a game we should dominate, but I'm sure Cornell will show up with their "A" Game. It should be interesting.
    Coach K always has these games that look like duds, that he uses because of the type of team they have. Like the Air Force game last year, dont get me wrong, they were a very good team, but they ran a different type of offense that Duke, barring eric maynor, couldve seen in the tourney, or anywhere else during the season. should be interesting to see how they come back from the big break, i expect a big win. 20+.

I think we will win, but probably not by as much if we had not been off the court for as long of a period. GO DUKE!!!!

I live in Chicago and do not get the cable channel that the game is on. Does anyone know of a website that I might be able to watch or listen to the game on? Thanks

Nolan's Arm

Can anybody tell what is bandaged to Nolan's arm? At first it looked like a regular ace, but one of the close ups showed what looked like a bizarre soap-shaped object bulging from underneath...

No TV coverage on AFN. Looking at ESPN box score, it appears Zoubek and Smith started the game. Is that correct?
    Bob Green

Zoubek and Smith

started in place of Thomas and Paulus. So far Nelson STILL can't make a foul shot. How did he ever become the leading scorer in California history with his inability to make foul shots?

wow, not hittin the 3s i expected...hopefully the offensive fouls and inability to capitalize on Cornell TO's and missing close shots is all rust, rust that is washed away at halftime...lets go guys.

Who started the second half?
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Who started the second half?
    same as 1st