Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Meet the new Duke Football Coaching Staff

The new staff will be announced at 3:30 today. Check them outhere

First rate!

I cannot remember the last time there was this much optimism about the direction of the football team. Even Spurrier, who in hindsight was a wonderful pick, did not come with great fanfare at the time. As he has said several times, Duke gave him a chance when few others would.

When is the last time Duke hired a big time coach like this?

Hey Watzone,

Didn't see any mention of who will be coaching the D-Line, formerly coached by Scott Brown. Will they be lumped under another coach or will the new DC be handling them directly?
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

It's nice to see Duke Football back on the radar in the Triangle. I am glad they kept Scottie Mongomery. He's a solid invidual and a great coach.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Hey Watzone,

Didn't see any mention of who will be coaching the D-Line, formerly coached by Scott Brown. Will they be lumped under another coach or will the new DC be handling them directly?
    I noticed that too. I hope to make the PC and will ask that question.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Hey Watzone,

The NFL playoffs have just begun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    The NFL playoffs have just begun.

Wow -- Bill Belichick is going to be our defensive line coach!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Sweet! Maybe we can get a group of "Hoodie's Hoodlums" (or something like that) in the student section at Wally Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    He was swayed by Duke's phenomenal collection of film and video equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    He was swayed by Duke's phenomenal collection of film and video equipment.
    Haha, I used to be on the video staff...I'll be glad to trade secrets about the best vantage points in Wally Wade

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    The new staff will be announced at 3:30 today. Check them outhere
    Are Curt and Zac Roper related to each other?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Of coarse...

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    They are the sons of Stanley and Helen Roper who own a apartment complex in Santa Monica, that have 3 nutty kids that live upstairs.

Come and knock on my door...we've been waiting for you...

On a serious note

I talked to almost all of the new coaches during the press conference. Four of them mentioned recruiting. The word is that they will ALL recruit. I will have some of their comments up later. Also mentioned was continuity, character and family when talking of togetherness.

"I'm the one that will get up in your face when I have to," Ron Middleton

I talked to almost all of the new coaches during the press conference. Four of them mentioned recruiting. The word is that they will ALL recruit. I will have some of their comments up later. Also mentioned was continuity, character and family when talking of togetherness.

I think what I like best about this staff is that not only do they have the reputation and respect around the NCAA and the NFL to get elite, 4-5 star prospects in the door to look at Duke, but they seem like they have the charisma to sell those players on the great things about being at Duke and reviving the tradition of years past.

Almost every one of these elite recruits feel that they can play in the NFL. When these coaches, who have coached in the NCAA and the pros and between them have experience taking players and making them stars at the next level, I think this staff together will bring quality football players to Duke. I'm excited!

Do they know the date of the Spring game yet? Usually it's during Alumni Reunion Weekend, so hopefully it will be a weekend where we see the first of many repeated sellouts of Wallace Wade Stadium!

2003-2004 HLM

No surprise; Cutcliffe is a go getter

I saw this on Channel 11 evening news, and I expected to see some comments in this forum. Except for Scotty Momtgomery, I know nothing about any the staff he named today. According to the TV report, Scotty was not a holdover. He was a new hire. I guess that means that he was Coach Cut's choice. Coach Cut is running the hurry-up offense.

Sorry, I missed Watzone's thread, and don't see any way to delete this post. I should have just linked the WTVD story in Watzone's thread.

Thou art my brother

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Yup. They are brothers.
    running backs coach Zac Roper, Kurt Roper's younger brother
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

What did you find out about the D-Line?

When I addressed Cutcliffe on the issue of one remaining coach, it was just after others had tried to talk salaries and contracts. Of course, Duke doesn't discuss this and the timing of my question may not have been asked for the answer I was looking for.

He said that the staff was capable of taking care of that position. He would not commit to any coach (there is one yet to be hired). Still, it will likely be a certain pro assistant with experience in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    I saw this on Channel 11 evening news, and I expected to see some comments in this forum. Except for Scotty Momtgomery, I know nothing about any the staff he named today. According to the TV report, Scotty was not a holdover. He was a new hire. I guess that means that he was Coach Cut's choice. Coach Cut is running the hurry-up offense.

Sorry, I missed Watzone's thread, and don't see any way to delete this post. I should have just linked the WTVD story in Watzone's thread.
    I will say one thing ... Mark Armstrong is one of the most arrogant and smug media types I've ever been around. He stuck his mic in the face of coaches reaching over those asking questions as if they were not there on two occasions that I saw. I understand the need for aggression, but he is no more entitled than anyone else.

Yes, my question to Scottie as about being a holdover which I obviously misworded. He was quick to quip he was a rehire and seemed happy. So, I guess WTVD used that question which is okay because all answers are fair game.

I was able to get a few one on one questions asked to a couple of coaches and hope to have them up sometime today. I can say that they were all open and personable.