Sports News of the Funny Papers

Seems the self-confessed drug dealer who claims he shot Clemens up with roids has threatened to sue for libel, yeap, you heard me right, if Clemens goes no TV and denies the allegation. I have got to see what the guy's claim for damages is gonna be.

Another bit of irony. Bill Billecheck has been voted coach of the year. Seems if you are a player and cheat, look out, but, if you are a coach, step up. There is no way that anyone can defend this award with a straight face; none. Oh, he sullied the sport by cheating but he didn't have to, and his team is playing oh so great, so how can we not honor him? Old P.T. Barum proves right once again.

Don't bother, I know I'm in the minority on this one, but please, tell me that there is no one else who deserves it. Heck, they could have given it to Dungey, who has his team nipping at NE's heals (they had them beat) without the best defensive player in the league and a hall of fame receiver.

Actually, I'd be okay with it (never bothered me that Paul bet on the Packers to win), but the double standard employed by the league--its using a cannon to gussey up its image when a player or two has a bit of fun (wink, wink), and patting ole Bill on the back is a tad much.

What does it say to the kids? Prepares em for real life I guess. Later

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Another bit of irony. Bill Billecheck has been voted coach of the year. Seems if you are a player and cheat, look out, but, if you are a coach, step up. There is no way that anyone can defend this award with a straight face; none.

Don't bother, I know I'm in the minority on this one
    Heck Greybeard, I hardly ever agree with you, but I think you are spot on with this one. Once someone has been officially sanctioned by a league for cheating it seems common sense would dictate that person not get any player/coach/manager/owner of the year awards.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Seems the self-confessed drug dealer who claims he shot Clemens up with roids has threatened to sue for libel, yeap, you heard me right, if Clemens goes no TV and denies the allegation. I have got to see what the guy's claim for damages is gonna be.
    Wasn't it a trainer who said this? If Clemens is going to claim on TV that he never knowingly took anything and that any steriods were injected by the trainer without his knowledge then I would say the trainer has a case.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Wasn't it a trainer who said this? If Clemens is going to claim on TV that he never knowingly took anything and that any steriods were injected by the trainer without his knowledge then I would say the trainer has a case.
    A case for what? The trainer betrayed his profession. He shot lots of guys up, or so he claims. Sounds to me like the hooker who goes into the bank to ask for change of a $50. The teller says, "Sorry Lady, this bill is counterfeit." Lady declares, "My g-d I've been raped!" Please, a case?

Another bit of irony. Bill Billecheck has been voted coach of the year. Seems if you are a player and cheat, look out, but, if you are a coach, step up. There is no way that anyone can defend this award with a straight face; none. Oh, he sullied the sport by cheating but he didn't have to, and his team is playing oh so great, so how can we not honor him? Old P.T. Barum proves right once again.

Don't bother, I know I'm in the minority on this one, but please, tell me that there is no one else who deserves it. Heck, they could have given it to Dungey, who has his team nipping at NE's heals (they had them beat) without the best defensive player in the league and a hall of fame receiver.

Actually, I'd be okay with it (never bothered me that Paul bet on the Packers to win), but the double standard employed by the league--its using a cannon to gussey up its image when a player or two has a bit of fun (wink, wink), and patting ole Bill on the back is a tad much.

What does it say to the kids? Prepares em for real life I guess. Later
    first of all, the AP votes on coach of the year -- not the NFL. The nfl has no control over who a bunch of writers decide.

secondly, last year sean merriman (sp) won defensive MVP -- after missing 25% of the season due to a steroids bust! Before and after:

A case for what? The trainer betrayed his profession. He shot lots of guys up, or so he claims. Sounds to me like the hooker who goes into the bank to ask for change of a $50. The teller says, "Sorry Lady, this bill is counterfeit." Lady declares, "My g-d I've been raped!" Please, a case?
    Yes, a case. There is no damned way that Clemens didn't know he was being injected with steroids. If he claims that he didn't and that it was all the fault of some trainer who did it without his knowledge/consent then the trainer most certainly has a case.

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    first of all, the AP votes on coach of the year -- not the NFL. The nfl has no control over who a bunch of writers decide.

secondly, last year sean merriman (sp) won defensive MVP -- after missing 25% of the season due to a steroids bust! Before and after:

It's the beard, dude. It's the beard.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    It's the beard, dude. It's the beard.
    It might be just the photos themselves, but does it look to anyone else like his skin also became lighter?

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    It might be just the photos themselves, but does it look to anyone else like his skin also became lighter?
    Skin tones in photographs of African-Americans are incredibly light sensitive. Unless the two pictures were taken under the exact same lighting coniditions the change probably doesn't mean anything medical - it probably speaks more to the photographer, his equipment, and the developing process. (The same is true for all people, but it is more noticeable the darker the skin tone.)

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post

At least they're consistent. Oops, Shawne was actually suspended for four games for his infraction.

Anyway, just trying to point out something that I thought was funny. Coach of the year in the NFL, that means something? Not if they're not bettin on it it don't. Later.

And, in fact, last year's NFL Defensive Player of the Year was Jason Taylor. Also note that the NFL now has a rule banning players who have violated the steroid policy from going to the pro bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Skin tones in photographs of African-Americans are incredibly light sensitive. Unless the two pictures were taken under the exact same lighting coniditions the change probably doesn't mean anything medical - it probably speaks more to the photographer, his equipment, and the developing process. (The same is true for all people, but it is more noticeable the darker the skin tone.)
    Ahh...I had figured it might have been the photos but also thought that maybe the steroids had affected his appearence.

Hey, it looks as though whatever he took erased the tattoo.