Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

To whom did Kentucky lose?!?!

San Diego... the same San Diego that was 6-8 coming into the game and rated #162 by Sagarin. The same San Diego that has lost to Stephen F Austin.

Oh, and the game was at Kentucky.

Whew...

--Jason "Hey PP, think ya might have made a tiny mistake?" Evans

And you know the weirdest thing? It doesn't even seem like an upset anymore. Kentucky is going to have to work real, real hard just to make the NIT.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    And you know the weirdest thing? It doesn't even seem like an upset anymore. Kentucky is going to have to work real, real hard just to make the NIT.
    They are 5-6 now with non-conf games left against Fla International and Louisville. Hard to see them beating Lousiville. Heck, the way they are playing even 3-8 Sun Belt doormat Fla International may be a test.

So, unless they go better than .500 in the SEC, they ain't getting to .500 on the season and that is the NIT cutoff. The irony is that if they went 9-7 or 10-6 in the SEC (they play 16 conference games, right?) they would be in line for an NCAA bid under ordinary circumstances.

--Jason "Billy G does have a pair of top 50-ish recruits coming in and is still working on the 2008 class, but none of them look like quick fix/instant impact kinda players" Evans

Does it make me a bad person to watch Patrick Patterson and enjoy seeing him lose?

Hmmm, maybe Tubby wasn't such a bad coach after all?

I feel bad...

I feel bad for Patrick Patterson. He deserves a better team than that, but I guess he had his chance.

"Hmmm, maybe Tubby wasn't such a bad coach after all?"

No, no, no. Tubby didn't leave BG anyone to coach. Don't you read Kentucky message boards?

I know, I know. We all have our guilty pleasures.

Watching Patterson today reminded me of Duke's home and away series with LSU in the early 90's. Shaquille O'Neal was double- and triple-teamed throughout both games because LSU had no guards/outside threat. Patterson will continue to receive this sort of treatment if Kentucky cannot shoot better than 23% from beyond the arc. I can't help but wonder about his impact if he were surrounded by Duke's plethora of "young guns".

UK

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Does it make me a bad person to watch Patrick Patterson and enjoy seeing him lose?
    No, 'los, it makes you a normal person(snicker, snicker, tell me again who the sUcK lost to) BWAHAHAHA!!

?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    No, 'los, it makes you a normal person(snicker, snicker, tell me again who the sUcK lost to) BWAHAHAHA!!
    Well, it sure doesn't make either of you GOOD people.

I don't get all the hatin' on PP. Unless there's something I missed where he talked smack about Duke, or mislead Duke in the recruitment process, then I don't understand why so many people on DBR are wishing him ill.

Obviously K thought he was a good person and thought well enough of him to want to work with him for four years...as long as PP went where he really wanted to go, then I wish him a wonderful stay in Lexington (and that he never wins a game against Duke).

Can anyone help me better understand the hard feelings?

s.i.

Because with Patrick Duke would be a favorite to win the national championship, and since he chose to go elsewhere it feels like he tore away a good chance at a title from us, therefore we enjoy seeing him falter.

Of course, the fate of Kentucky has little to do with PPs NBA fate.

RE: Patterson. One school of thought is that PP never had any intention of going to Duke but allowed Duke to recruit him because he enjoyed the attention, liked the publicity, it enhanced his ranking, he liked recruiting visits, take your pick.

Not sure I buy any of that but lots of other people do.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Hmmm, maybe Tubby wasn't such a bad coach after all?
    I've been meaning to start a tread about Tubby's exit. Do you think he saw this coming? Kentucky has been far from dominate the last few years but they have been at least decent if not pretty good. I don't remember them losing a huge chunk of talent and they brought in a decent recruiting class, so why are they sooooo bad. I haven't seen them play yet this year so I can't speculate about the coaching but something certainly is going very very wrong.

I'd like to think it's a case of karma all around. The KY fans ran off a great coach in Tubby Smith. Billy Gillispie allegedly let it be known that he'd accept the AR coaching job if it was offered, so Heath was fired. Gillispie then ditched AR as soon as he was mentioned for the KY job. I think the situation has worked out well for all concerned - especially since KY is losing to the likes of San Diego.

Q: How many Kentucky fans does it take to change a light bulb?

A: 80,000. One to change the light bulb, and 79,999 to talk about how good the old light bulb was in years past.

They ran Tubby off -- they deserve what they get.

great joke!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Q: How many Kentucky fans does it take to change a light bulb?

A: 80,000. One to change the light bulb, and 79,999 to talk about how good the old light bulb was in years past.

They ran Tubby off -- they deserve what they get.
    LOL!

So, would they also start a "get rid of the new bulb" website? 'cause I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before the fans start calling for Gillispie's head on a silver platter.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    LOL!

So, would they also start a "get rid of the new bulb" website? 'cause I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before the fans start calling for Gillispie's head on a silver platter.

Not so sure the 'tucky faithful have too many silver platters.

I think they want Gillispie's head in a bucket with a side of slaw and tater tots.

I watched most of the 1st half, and all of the 2nd half.

Kentucky is LUCKY they have Patterson. He looks to be their whole team at times. He would look alot better in a Duke uni though .

People, I understand alot of you are upset that he went to Kentucky. However, Its not like he played Duke or mislead them. Coach K thought he was a wonderful person and usually Coach K wont misjudge character.

I dont believe Tubby Smith left them in THAT BAD of shape.

Players not returning

Lukasz Obrzut (Graduated)
    Bobby Perry (Graduated)
    Sheray Thomas (Graduated)
    Randolph Morris (Early NBA)

A couple of those players hurt. The recruiting did a good job of replacing those guys. Im not sure if Billy is struggling at Kentucky. Something just isnt right.

Ohh, And I really dislike Kentucky. I hope they lose everygame. Not the players though. Just the program

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Not so sure the 'tucky faithful have too many silver platters.

I think they want Gillispie's head in a bucket with a side of slaw and tater tots.
    BWAHAHAHA! POTY!

Here in Arkansas we'd want tater salad or baked beans in place of the tater tots. We're a tad bit more refined.

Thread Hijack

I just finished watching Duke-UK 1992, again. My dad was here, and he has been periodically reporting back to me that the sentiment in KY, from KY fans, is still a searing, white-hot hatred of Duke in general and Laettner in particular. We've even discussed the "stomp" and how each side sees it differently. He got to see it again and agreed, it wasn't much of a stomp. Maybe if he swung at the guys jaw with a clenched fist, you eject him, but not for a little jabbing kick.

What a great game. You know, you look at the score and the shooting percentages and you figure that by the numbers, it wasn't much of a defensive game. But the defense was intense - the offense(s) just overcame it. So many shots just went in. Shots that maybe go in 25% of the time - they were going in 75% of the time.

I suppose KY fans never watch the game again, so they probably don't see that pretty much the first thing K says is what a great team Kentucky is. This is after he ran down Coach Pitino to shake his hand, and a UK player too. If any Dukies lurk on the UK message boards, they ought to put what coach K said about them in their sig line. I don't think they remember how gracious K was, and they probably need reminding. It need not be such a hate. Rivalry yes, but it can be carried with dignity, such as that of Tony Lang who was hugging/congratulating many of the KY guys afterwards, such as Mashburn.

I love our team this year, and they could win a lot of games. But I don't think they can win it all until they can at least rebound on par with their better opponents, i.e., ones they would face in the tourney. Either that or bring up the FT% a lot. But both can't be below avg. for a team that otherwise could go far. That '92 team could rebound.