Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would you rest or go for 16-0?

If you were Belichick would you rest your starters this week versus the Giants or go for 16-0.

I'd have to go for it. You have a bye week following the game on Saturday and 16-0 is immortality - it will be remembered long after a super bowl victory.

What about the Giants this week? Rest or play hard. I think they have to play to win.

What about the Steelers?

What about the Colts?
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    If you were Belichick would you rest your starters this week versus the Giants or go for 16-0.

I'd have to go for it. You have a bye week following the game on Saturday and 16-0 is immortality - it will be remembered long after a super bowl victory.

What about the Giants this week? Rest or play hard. I think they have to play to win.

What about the Steelers?

What about the Colts?
    I'd play to win each game. Keep the players in playing condition. Keep everyone used to the same schedule. Having your starters off for two weeks is a bad idea. If they go up big in the 2nd half, I'd have no problem pulling them.

The Goal

All teams, coaches and players start out the first day in training camp with one singular goal - win the Super Bowl. That's what they play for.

In my opinion, the Giants, Colts and Steelers all have to do what's best for the team in terms of that goal - Winning the Super Bowl. The question is - what is best for the team?

I think in the case of the Colts, for example, slowing things down at the end of the season when home field advantage was locked up may have hurt them in the playoffs - no question they looked rusty in the loss to the Steelers at home a few years ago (that and a complete choke job by Vanderjagt).

So I think those teams need to play their starters for a quarter or two to keep them sharp, unless they have injuries - like Burress and Jacobs for the Giants - those guys need the week off more than they need to remain sharp.
    I don't buy the argument that you have to play all out to win every game. If Burress re-injures his ankle in a meaningless game against the Patriots, that would be idiotic to me. However, in New York there are a lot of people (including Mike Francesa) saying that the Giants need to go all out to try to win the game at all costs because they will be remembered more for stopping a perfect season than if they win one or two games in the playoffs or even win the Super Bowl. I think that is crazy, but Francesa is pretty adamant about that opinion.

The Patriots, I think, are a completely different situation because they have an opportunity to do something that has never been done in the history of the sport (19-0) and something that may never be done again. They also have a chance to make their case as the best team ever. I think when you have a chance to do something that historical, that will leave that much of a legacy, you have to go for it and take the chance that it could affect the chances at winning the Super Bowl (if a key player gets hurt).
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

No way

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    If you were Belichick
    Say no more. If I were Belichick, I'd quit working in the NFL and go live on a remote beach and try to be happy with my life. The current lifestyle doesn't appear to be working.

And I'd try and go undefeated.

Win

Play to win. Compete. Keep the habits. Agree that if you have a big lead, put in the subs. But start your starters and play hard, play to win. That's what it's all about. Anything less would be uncivilized.

19-0

The players that are in the game are going to do their darnedest to play their best and win the game, just like all our players do when we're winning by 30 with 8miutes to go. If I were the Pats, I'd play my starters and pull them when the time was right. Same with the Giants. I doubt we see many starters beyond early 3rd quarter.

As a fan of the undefeated 1972 Dolphins, as I said a few weeks ago when the Pats pulled that game out of their butts in OT, I think the Pats are going to go undefeated this year, as sad as that makes me feel. Same feeling I had when Florida repeated as NCAA champs - it doesn't lessen the previous achievements one bit, and congratulations to the team that can do it.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    As a fan of the undefeated 1972 Dolphins, as I said a few weeks ago when the Pats pulled that game out of their butts in OT, I think the Pats are going to go undefeated this year, as sad as that makes me feel. Same feeling I had when Florida repeated as NCAA champs - it doesn't lessen the previous achievements one bit, and congratulations to the team that can do it.
    I agree that it doesn't lessen the achievement, but it does obscure it a bit. It was nice to be mentioned every time a team was trying to repeat as NC, and I expect that to happen more often now that Florida has done it. Same thing with the Dolphins if the Pats win out.

A chance to make history and solidify yourself and the team as one of the NFL's greatest of all-time?

They have to go for it.

That said, they will lose Sunday to the Giants 28-27.

-EarlJam

9. Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    A chance to make history and solidify yourself and the team as one of the NFL's greatest of all-time?

They have to go for it.

That said, they will lose Sunday to the Giants 28-27.

-EarlJam
    No they won't. And I can guarantee that with 100% certainty.

Because the game is on Saturday. Prepare to be stupefied by Bryant Gumbel's play-by-play. If you can get the game, that is.

There is no question that the Pats "go for it" and try to get to the unmatched 16-0 record. They will also, I think, try to go for the single-season TD passing record for Brady (needs 2 more to pass Manning) and TD record for Moss (needs 2 more to pass Rice). To me, the only question for the Pats would be if they had a large lead, say 17+ points, in the 2nd half but Moss and/or Brady did not have the individual record yet would you then leave in Moss or Brady to try to get the individual record?

As for the Giants, the notion that they should play their starers the whole game, especially the already injured Plex, is ludicrous. I think the Giants will leave in their starters for about a half but then start resting them in the 2nd half. The notion that they would be remembered in history for stopping the Pats is silly. Their goal, still a reasonable goal, is to make and even win the Super Bowl. Sure, it is a bit of a longshot, but accomplishing that would very much trump winning this one game. Saying otherwise is just silly. I am betting that many of the key players for the Giants will be on the bench well before the 4th quarter begins.

The Colts, Steelers, and other teams with nothing to gain win or lose will similarly rest many of their key players around halftime, I bet. Injuries are just too common in the NFL.

--Jason "can you imagine the outrage in NY if Manning or Burress or Umenyiora were hurt and missed the playoffs because they were playing in the 4th quarter of a meaningless game?" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDiablo View Post

Because the game is on Saturday. Prepare to be stupefied by Bryant Gumbel's play-by-play. If you can get the game, that is.
    The game is being simulcast on NBC and CBS now.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22400789/
    ~rthomas

Have you not heard? The NFL Network has succumbed to public outcry and is letting this history-making game be broadcast on NBC and CBS. Yup, you read that right, the game will be on 3 networks at the same time. CBS and NBC will simulcast the NFL Network coverage though so we'll be subjected to Bryant and Chris Collinsworth commentary on all 3 networks. Oh joy!!

--Jason "I'll be watching on CBS HD because I hate NBC for cancelling Journeyman" Evans

I get the NFL Network in HD(I think) so it was never an issue for me. NFL caved to pressure, weenies. In the early '90's(94 maybe?), ESPN covered Duke vs UNC on a new channel, ESPN2. I couldn't find it anywhere in the area so missed the game.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Have you not heard? The NFL Network has succumbed to public outcry and is letting this history-making game be broadcast on NBC and CBS. Yup, you read that right, the game will be on 3 networks at the same time. CBS and NBC will simulcast the NFL Network coverage though so we'll be subjected to Bryant and Chris Collinsworth commentary on all 3 networks. Oh joy!!

--Jason "I'll be watching on CBS HD because I hate NBC for cancelling Journeyman" Evans
    Bryant Gumbel - Mr. Deadpan voice - How did he get that job? Are there no announcers left?
    ~rthomas

15. Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Have you not heard? The NFL Network has succumbed to public outcry and is letting this history-making game be broadcast on NBC and CBS. Journeyman" Evans
    Too bad NBC and CBS can't supply their own broadcast teams.

My guarantee still stands. No way are the Pats losing on Sunday.

Too bad NBC and CBS can't supply their own broadcast teams.

Well don't bet on the Steelers. They are resting everybody this weekend. On the other hand, they are playing the Ravens.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    There is no question that the Pats "go for it" and try to get to the unmatched 16-0 record. They will also, I think, try to go for the single-season TD passing record for Brady (needs 2 more to pass Manning) and TD record for Moss (needs 2 more to pass Rice). To me, the only question for the Pats would be if they had a large lead, say 17+ points, in the 2nd half but Moss and/or Brady did not have the individual record yet would you then leave in Moss or Brady to try to get the individual record?

As for the Giants, the notion that they should play their starers the whole game, especially the already injured Plex, is ludicrous. I think the Giants will leave in their starters for about a half but then start resting them in the 2nd half. The notion that they would be remembered in history for stopping the Pats is silly. Their goal, still a reasonable goal, is to make and even win the Super Bowl. Sure, it is a bit of a longshot, but accomplishing that would very much trump winning this one game. Saying otherwise is just silly. I am betting that many of the key players for the Giants will be on the bench well before the 4th quarter begins.

The Colts, Steelers, and other teams with nothing to gain win or lose will similarly rest many of their key players around halftime, I bet. Injuries are just too common in the NFL.

--Jason "can you imagine the outrage in NY if Manning or Burress or Umenyiora were hurt and missed the playoffs because they were playing in the 4th quarter of a meaningless game?" Evans
    there is no way that the pats are resting their starters -- even if they have a big lead in the second half. they had all their starters late in the 4th quarter with a 28-7 lead LAST week against one of the worst teams in the history of the team (and there was a game the following week). the pats essentially have a bye week next week so they will have 2 weeks to get over any nicks. they have had brady throwing all year in the 4th quarter with huge leads and even on 4th and shorts. they want 16-0 and they want all of the individuals records (brady and moss tds). even if they have the td records at halftime, they are going to want to pad them.

the bigger question is what will the giants do. they definitely are playing all of their starters as long as it's a game. if they are getting blown out and the game is over, the starters will be pulled in the 2nd half.

if i were the giants, i would go all out for the win because beating the pats would be a much bigger deal than winning a single playoff game (they aren't some hapless team like the cardinals where a playoff win would be a big deal). there is no way that the giants are winning 3 road playoff games. even if they beat the bucs (which shouldn't be that hard) so it's not like by going for the win against the pats is going to jeopardize a super bowl birth. there is no way that they are going on the road and beating either the cowboys or the packers. in the end, the pats are going to win so it won't really matter what either team does.

It's possible that the game would last nearly 4 hours.

Halftime- 21-16 Giants lead...

Pats win 38-35. Giants played the whole game and lost a couple people to injuries...