Maryland loses to American

Right now the Terps are hurting the ACC more than they are helping it. Their national championship program, national championship coach, and national championship players might not make it to the NIT. I wonder if national championship coach Gary Williams will be on the hot seat if they finish this season under .500 given their national championship graduation rate?

Definitely not our rivals.

Not a good day for the ACC with Clemson and FSU also losing.

Living in the DC area and being a dedicated Blue Devil, I find some pleasure in Maryland's year-to-date performance. Generally, I follow the "always root for ACC teams" rule, but -- remembering Carlos Boozer's mother, a LONG history of engineered disrespect, etc. -- Gary and Maryland merit an exception. I look forward to a cup of coffee and the Post's Sports Section in a few minutes, to revel in the inventiveness of the local reporters who doubtless will find some excuse(s) for the Terp's terrible on- and off-court accomplishments (e.g., zero percent NCAA-sanctioned graduation-rate).

4decadedukie - I understand your dislike but you must be dreaming if you think that you are going to find "the inventiveness of the local reporters who doubtless will find some excuse(s) for the Terp's terrible on- and off-court accomplishments". The Post and Sun reporters who follow the Terps, Hoyas and other college teams in the area go out of their way to not be "homers", in fact, they sometimes go the other way IMO. If you are referring to columnists, that may be the case but I haven't seen it.

Yesterday's performance by the Terps was even worse than 3-4 other bad performances by the team earlier this year, although I am happy for Jeff Jones. I liked Jeff as a player and coach at Virginia.

The problems with the Terps are many fold. First, Williams has nearly recruited an entire roster of players who can't shoot. Second, the young players on the team have hit a big bump in the road and their play has temporarily regressed. Third, Williams depends on an inside-out offense and he has his team always start the game feeding the inside players. This has led to some incredibly slow starts because the frontcourt players who start the game can't make shots and are turnovers waiting to happen. The Terps often play better in the second half when they are given more of a free rein and Vasquez/Hayes are a bigger part of the offense. In yesterday's game, the frontcourt couldn't shoot, pass, catch or rebound but decent defense kept the Terps in the game through the first half. In the second half, American played with a lot of confidence and the Terps couldn't catch up.

The Terps are spinning downward and I don't see any immediate cure. They are losing at home to average teams and they are poised to have their heads handed to them by ACC teams. Their only hope, IMO, is for Gist to come out of his funk and for Milbourne and 2-3 freshmen to improve their play significantly. That is probably too much to ask and I see the Terps ending up toward the bottom of the ACC with no postseason.

An interesting observation - Hayes and Vasquez had 9 assists between them. I believe 8 or perhaps all of their assists were to one another. Both younsters are outstanding passers, unfortunately, they don't have anyone to pass to.

gw67

I bet they get up for us, though.

For a few minutes at least. Until they are forced to admit that they truly are "not our rivals," after all.

american-md

wonder if any of the sportswriters(cough, hack), on the acc trail applauded/cheered this victory of a non-con team over an acc team...

They Always Do

Quote Originally Posted by dukerev View Post
    I bet they get up for us, though.
    This is Gary's greatest failing, IMHO. He motivates (or tries to) his team with anger, fear and hatred. During a bad loss he berates them publicly, and afterwards tells reporters his team really isn't very good "right now" and he really doesn't know what to do about it.

Then he whips them into action against any hated Tobacco Road team. They play like madmen against us or Carolina and frequently scratch and claw their way to victory, only to lose the next week to MD Eastern Shore or some such team because they have insufficient motivation.

Evidently having a national championship pedigree is not enough to instill in Md. players the pride that schools like Duke and Carolina have in their hearts year in and year out. But as someone on this board mentioned recently, IRRC, Maryland will frequently eek out at least one major victory in Tobacco Road and claim a low-seed NCAA spot they don't deserve, only to flop in the first round. What a tradition!

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    Right now the Terps are hurting the ACC more than they are helping it. Their national championship program, national championship coach, and national championship players might not make it to the NIT. I wonder if national championship coach Gary Williams will be on the hot seat if they finish this season under .500 given their national championship graduation rate?

Definitely not our rivals.
    You left out that they lost on their national championship floor, with their national championship fans, and the national championship shirts many of their fans were likely wearing to celebrate their national championship won in 2002 (also known as the year of their national championship).