Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

well, I remember...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    This is interesting... I thought that the Billy "Thacker" was deliberate... kinda like all of the Hans, Hansbro, Hansblablah, etc stuff. Obviously, Jim Thacker was broadcasting well before I remember watching ACC hoops...
    Those were the days--Jim Thacker, Billy Packer, and Bones McKinney... I miss them!

Sail with the Pilot! Holly Farms Chicken!

Greetings From VCU

Hello All. I am a fan from VCU, and just wanted to come over and check out your boards.

We are very excited that we have a chance to play Duke in the first round. We know how strong you are, but I think you will agree with me that this year you have been more beatable than in past years.

With that said, I'll give you a little more info on VCU.

For starters, you are all correct in saying that VCU is a guard oriented team. We have 2 senior guards in BA Walker and Jesse Pellot-Rosa. BA walker is the schools all-time leader in 3-point shooting, and 10th all time scoring. Jesse Pellot-Rosa is a strong guard with a sweet stroke on the 3-point shot and a big build that gives him the ability to penetrate. It's not uncommon to see him lead the team in rebounds.

Now we come to your worst nightmare, Eric Maynor. He's a sophomore point guard who can carry this team on his back. He's the reason we beat George Mason in the final. He creates shots out of nowhere, he'll break your ankles off the dribble, and is 5th in the nation in assists. If there's a shot for someone on the team, he finds it.

Now to our inside play. You say we're weak inside, and have a size disadvantage, but I beg to differ. Our inside starter, Wil Fameni, is mis-listed on our site as 6-7. Not that being 6-8 makes a difference, but he plays big and can hold down the paint. Then we have Calvin Roland, who is a senior and has really been stepping it up this year. Roland is 6-10 and plays huge. Inside play is something that I worried about in the beginning of the season, but since the last game we played we were 1 for 13 from 3-point range, having those big guys who can play to net us about 30 points between the two of them.

To finish it off, we have 2 great bench threats in TJ Gwynn and Jamal Shuler. Gwynn is a redshirt freshman and probably the most intense player on our team. He can play inside and outside and really puts some fuel into our teams fire. The real 6th man threat you should worry about it Jamal Shuler. Many times this year he's come off the bench and been our leading scorer. He can shoot 3's, he can pentrate, he can play defense as good as anyone, and he'll sacrifice himself for the ball or the shot or anything. I don't think I've seen 2 minutes go buy without this guy hitting the deck...but in a good way. he plays hard ball.

Some of you don't think that we press, or that we won't. You are sadly mistaken. We press ALL GAME. FULL COURT. Our coaches motto is "94 feet both ways". We are a fast paced team and have the ability to wear any team down. It doesn't matter to us if we're up by 20 or down by 20, we're in your face the whole game. So get ready for a lot of running.

I think that's enough for my first post. If anyone has any questions about VCU, feel free to ask. Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you in buffalo.

Regards

Thanks so much for the info!

Welcome to this board! Your report definitely has me a bit more nervous now...

As an aside, I really wish we weren't playing you, as I'd love to root for VCU through the tourney. When it's not Duke, I root for all Virginia teams next (and ACC teams) and I love the CAA...

nevertheless... GO DUKE!

Duke vs VCU Thursday 6:10 pm

According to the schedule on ncaasports.com, our game is scheduled to start at 6:10 pm eastern time.

http://www.ncaasports.com/basketball...dness/20070315

although, according to yahoo sports schedule, we play at 7:10

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreb...-15&refresh=60

GO DUKE!
    Last edited by mullslaw6383; 03-12-2007 at 10:20 AM.

When was the last time K entered the tourney as a true underdog?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post
    Wounded animals are always the most dangerous!
    That used to be his bread and butter. We've lost touch with it since the halcyon days of 91-92 and beyond. I relish K's regaining some hunger to go out and take something rather than trying to defend the Duke jersey from vandals.

I would bet on 7:10 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by mullslaw6383 View Post
    According to the schedule on ncaasports.com, our game is scheduled to start at 6:10 pm eastern time.

http://www.ncaasports.com/basketball...dness/20070315

although, according to yahoo sports schedule, we play at 7:10

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreb...-15&refresh=60

GO DUKE!
    Don't all first round games start at or around noon, 2:30, 7 p.m. and 9:30 except maybe one West coast game that is usually at 5 p.m. EST?

"According to the schedule on ncaasports.com, our game is scheduled to start at 6:10 pm eastern time."

Maybe they forgot to spring forward.

Pretty sure it's 7:10

8. Random Thoughts

- I like our bracket. Should Duke advance, they wouldn't have to face a one-seed in order to advance to the Elite Eight. Two of the teams (Indiana And Gonz) we've already beaten this year. In Buffalo, we may have more fans than people think.
    - Duke will have had a full week of rest and time to refocus. Hopefully, this will give them an extra bounce in their step.
    - Duke was quite successful earlier in the year against non-conference teams. It will be refreshing to see Duke again play out-of-conference teams.
    - Three positives to end the regular season, which together, may prove to be significant in the tourney: Henderson was having the best games of his season, Pocious (sp?) proved to be a scorer, McRoberts was a true center, a man possessed during the last 14 minutes of the State game.

season stats

If anyone is looking for season stats for Duke and VCU here they are.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...season=2006-07
    http://www.vcuathletics.com/fls/1450...e.htm#TEAM.CMB

A few things I've noted so far:

VCU shot 570 threes this season, making 40% (mostly Walker, Pellot-Rosa and Shuler)
    Duke shot 509 threes, making 38% (mostly Scheyer, Paulus and Nelson)

VCU had 246 steals on the year
    Duke had 237 steals on the year

VCU averaged 74.8 pts, defense allows 64.8 pts
    Duke averaged 70.2 pts, defense allows 61.5 pts

VCU had 1100 rebs on the season, Fameni in the lead with 182 of those, Anderson with 153, but Pellot-Rosa and Maynor are not far behind at 148 and 144 respectively.
    Duke had 1234 rebs on the season, McBob with 248, Nelson with 172 and McClure with 163.

VCU had 102 blocks this year, Fameni with 33, Anderson wtih 26.
    Duke had 151 blocks this year, McBob with 77, McClure with 24.

Maynor looks like a stud with the ball. 208 asts vs. 69 TOs.
    Paulus of course is 120 vs. 95.

Fameni averages 9.2 pts/game.
    Josh averages 12.8 pts/game.

VCU Team FT: 72%
    Duke Team FT: 69%

VCU Team FG: 46%
    Duke Team FG: 47%

Some of the numbers look very similar, particularly on the outside, but it's also clear we have an inside advantage. Josh SHOULD be able to control the inside defensively and offensively. Plus, we're very good at rebounding at the 5, 4 and 3 positions - much better than VCU's 5,4,3 guys. Hopefully our height advantage will negate their guards' rebounding potential.

Of course, we racked up all these number's against Ken Pom's #3 ranked schedule vs. the 126 ranked schedule for VCU. So take it for what it's worth.

So the keys - Josh controlling the middle and forcing Maynor into some uncharacteristic turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    forcing Maynor into some uncharacteristic turnovers.
    Not very likely.

Capel

I bet both coaches give Jeff a call...who do you think he'll help in the scouting department?
    Obviously, he knows the kids at VCU very well, but also knows how K prepares.
    What do you think?

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by koolaidRAM View Post
    Not very likely.
    Agreed. That's why they'd be uncharacteristic.

Oh and welcome to the board! Nice to have some good fans from our opponents stop in. Is there a VCU board that's popular? I'd be curious to see what the sentiment is like.

Love this draw for a two reasons:

1) We can certainly lose this game if we're not focused. This is a good thing because this team responds well to wins. When you look at our conference schedule, all you pretty much see are streaks of wins or streaks of losses. Getting a W would give this team some confidence heading into what looks like a matchup against Pitt, and if history repeats, we could be looking at a little run.

2) All the onus is on McRoberts. If we are to beat VCU, we are going to beat this team in the paint and expose their lack of height. Though he'll play substantial minutes, I don't see Zoubek getting too much time, so McRoberts will have to do his thing. This, unfortunately, could also be viewed as a bad thing, as Josh doesn't respond to pressure too well.

Bottom line is that if we are focused, we should beat VCU, and can definitely give Pitt all it can handle. We'll see. All I know is that, this is why the tournament is the best time of the year.

why is florida the #1 #1 and not in the south?
    florida is #1 and not #1 in the south because of the way the brackets paired up. The NCAA (as was stated at the top of the telecast I believe) wants to try to get the #1 #1 to play the #4 #1 if all four #1 seeds advance. In doing so, there would have to be a mild degree of shuffling, especially since they don't reorder the brackets once they get to the final four site. So if Florida is #1 and Kansas is #4 and you put Florida in the South, then Kansas has to be sent to the East and then you move NC to the midwest and OSU to the west potentially.

This would have been a bit more of a big deal before the NCAA went to the pod system, but now that they mix and match regions at the first round sites, it's less of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Agreed. That's why they'd be uncharacteristic.

Oh and welcome to the board! Nice to have some good fans from our opponents stop in. Is there a VCU board that's popular? I'd be curious to see what the sentiment is like.

Yeah, we scouted and found this board. If you want to chat it up with the rams, head on over to www.caazone.com .

Just because the ACC/Big10 Challenge game isn't a home-and-home contract between the schools doesn't mean it should be ignored. I understand your point that we should go to opposing gyms more often, but the ACC/Big10 Challenge provides that for us every other year. If you know you're getting a good road game out of that matchup, contract or no, you take it into consideration when scheduling. I'm not saying that we shouldn't play on the road more (your overall point); I'm just saying that when we DO play on the road, you can't discount it just because it's not a true home-and-home series.

Secondly, I think this was just an offhand comment, but I don't remember us being 'shell shocked' last year when we started 7-0 on the road in conference, or the year before that when we started the ACC 2-0 on the road. So I also disagree with your point that we are routinely unprepared for our first ACC road game, as that seems to be a situation unique to this season.

On a side note, I do find it ironic that last year, the biggest win on Georgetown's resume was against Duke. This year, the exact opposite was true.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    what if, and i'm seriously just throwing this out here, we played some zone and let him rebound and try to block shots? better defense against dribble penetration, maximize our height advantage, etc? Don't say it can't happen!
    Well, I assume you'd be doing this hoping he can give us some inside offense, right? Trouble is, his offense hasn't been particularly good this year. We know about his traveling problems, and VCU's quickness would give him a lot of trouble, because he's still having trouble adjusting to the speed of the game. Plus, I don't believe in zone defense in genreral, and I certainly don't believe in desperate measures at this time of year. I want Duke to get back to playing man-to-man the way they did earlier this year. That's how they'll win in the Tourney. Any time spent working on a zone takes away from that.

I have to go with Jumbo on this one

I like Z and thought he should have gotten more minutes during the year, but this team is quick. They run and press the whole game and I don't see him helping much against them. They are guard oriented team who shoots the three pretty well.......going zone will just give them more open looks since we have not practiced a zone. I wish he would have gotten more minutes over the course of the year to develop, but the NCAA tourney is not the time for a player to develop.

Talking Don't Drink the KoolAid

Just messing around with you. Thanks for posting the info. on VCU. I'm somewhat familiar with them from being exposed pretty heavily to the CAA. I think VCU is a very good team with much quickness and some very good guards. That being said, I believe Duke will win. That's not to say I think VCU doesn't have a shot - they do. However, using your analogy, VCU will have some nightmares to deal with themselves. Duke's defense can be outstanding on the perimeter. Three point shots typically do not come easily. Josh McRoberts is a unique talent, who, when he puts his mind to it, can positively influence the outcome of just about any game. Demarcus Nelson is one of the best defenders in the ACC & loves the open floor. Gerald Henderson is an emerging talent. John Sheyer & Greg Paulus are very good shooters. David McClure (6'6") is an all around smart player & Lance Thomas (6'8") typically brings much energy when he comes in. If the matchup is right, the 7'1" center can alter shots underneath & Pocius is starting to get some rythym to his game. Plus, it's not like Duke isn't used to facing good teams. I can't wait...

if vcu is pressing i'd think we want mcroberts to play at least 39 minutes. as for zoubek, i haven't seen him be much help breaking a press.